HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #21
Linda

Hi Goops

Hi: I was dx in spring, 05, so I'm over 2 and a half years out. No recurrence.
Still hold my breath a little -- less and less each month.
Best
L
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #22
StephN

My perspective comes as a pre-adjuvent Herceptin patient. I have loved rooting the Herceptin trials on and cheering the good news on much lower recurrance rates! How my life could have been different!?!

Dx when Herceptin just approved for stage IV. It was a sort of "tough love" time for treatment with taxanes and some other new drugs showing good results.

I got my preliminary path report from my surgeon when I went back for the one week followup after my lumpectomy.
He carefully explained my staging from what we had in front of us. He explained that my sentinal node and the next two were full of tumor so I would need my lower axilla excised and a port placed for chemos.

Not much said about the HER2. Until I faxed that report to a cancer researcher friend who called back with more grave news and suggesting I get a second opinion with a certain oncologist.

After the second surgery I followed up with that advice and had my slides reviewed at the U of W medical center. My meeting with this new team of docs gave me more insight into my diagnosis and the fact that I would need special care to fight my aggressive disease.

Interesting how the gravity of something can break a little at a time so there is time to sort of digest what it might mean.

I never panicked, but wanted to know more about my new Best Friend. I figured better to know the devil then merely be afraid of it.

After my raging mets dx I also found the book, "The making of Herceptin." It had been recently published then, and there was no web site or other support that I could find to interact with others in my situation. Everyone I knew with mets was dying! I felt quite ADRIFT in a sea of uncertainty. That book gave me hope that there were women even worse off than I was who could respond to the Herceptin and live to tell about it. This my first inkling that I too could survive. Learning how others had responded was my main interest in buying that book.

P.S. We learn to keep breathing - even after a mets diagnosis.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:01 PM   #23
AlaskaAngel

Hi!

Good post, Steph! So many do not know what it was like to be diagnosed as HER2 more than just a few years ago.

When I was diagnosed I received my preliminary path report in early 2002 and learned I was ER+/PR+ but there was almost no other info on it back then even though it was done at a major cancer center. The Herceptin trial was in progress. Although I knew nothing about it then and would not have been eligible to participate (node-negatives under 2 cm were excluded), I was not given the final path report, and my oncologist did not consider it important to tell me that I was HER2+++ by IHC. I had been under the impression that he would share that kind of information with me but he never did. So I never knew at time of diagnosis that I was HER2+++, but was still expected to make a decision about whether to do chemotherapy and radation. There was no KI# for me to take in to consideration. There was no OncotypeDx then. And even aromatase inhibitors were just for metastatic bc. How can one make a good decision when not only is there a lot to learn but what they do know is from the tests my insurance paid for is hidden from me?

Almost 2 years later the onc still had not told me I was HER2+++. I only found out because I was suspicious and happened to request my final path report.

Needless to say, I did not get trastuzumab as treatment. When the results of the traztuzumab trial were announced there was dead silence from the experts as to what those of us who were NED and were several years out should or shouldn't do. (Since we had not been allowed to participate in the trial, they now had "no data" to know whether we should go ahead and have trastuzumab or not!) Eventually a weak recommendation came out indicating that those who were more than 6 months out from chemo should not have it, since it was considered to work better when given with chemo and by then we were a ways out from having chemo -- plus there was concern about added cardiotoxicity. Then later that evolved further into 1 year instead of 6 months. This was idiotic to me. They freely admitted that the greatest chance for recurrence was in the first TWO YEARS, yet they were recommending initially that those more than 6 months out shouldn't get trastuzumab?!!!? This made even less sense to me since they recommended that almost all newly diagnosed should get the drug. These are the gurus of treatment to depend upon for recommendations?

By then I had also discovered that the tamoxifen I had been taking also had been under investigation for about 4 years as likely being an agent that added fuel to the fire for recurrence for some HER2 positives. My onc never discussed this with me. (After all, why should a patient be told the pro's and con's about a drug until there is more info as to which ones will die from taking it and which ones won't? But... isn't there some logic to the idea that perhaps those at least risk, i.e., early stage, might want to at least discuss it? Especially since drugs like tamoxifen have additional side effects as well?)

By that time Arimidex was available to early stage patients. Instead of having the professionalism to discuss the whole thing with me, he said only that I probably had become menopausal enough to switch to that instead.

Some others who also were part of the Lost Regiment of HER2s decided to argue with their oncs, and eventually they received trastuzumab. My onc neither favored it nor denied it and provided a prescription at my request. But by that time, lapatinib was on the horizon. I put trastuzumab on hold. Eventually the opportunity came around for the TEACH trial, but only those who had done chemo and had never had Herceptin were eligible. I could have had lapatinib vs placebo, and after much independent consideration, decided not to. I certainly may regret that eventually.

I continue to pay attention to what is being learned. I posted an article in the Articles forum today about circulating tumor cells that would argue in favor of my using trastuzumab, and I only wish I had a more reliable person to consult than the oncologist about taking it.

That is how I felt and feel now about being HER2.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #24
udith3

herceptin

After mets to the liver I have been on herceptin for 9 years as of feb 5 2008No tumors on the liver I am clean and will remain on herceptin..When it went to the liver one month after chemo and radiation..I was freaked... They put me on taxol and herceptin once a week for 6 months... after 8 week there was an 80% reduction of the tumors on the liver..After 6 months they took the taxol away and they kept me on herceptin once a week for 5 years then they put me on every 3 week,,, triple the dose ever since...One more week and I celebrate 9 years...I will be scaned on Friday... wish me luck... O hope this info helps you...Judy
udith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #25
Julie2

Wow Judy!! Your story is so inspiring. One more miracle of Herceptin. Thanks for leting us know.

Julie
Old 01-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #26
Lolly

When I was diagnosed Stage IIIB in '99, I didn't know the significance of being HER2+. My surgeon and oncologist were both enthusiatic about Herceptin being there for me if I needed it down the road, but I didn't do any research at that time. As soon as I recurred, my onc wasted no time in starting me on Herceptin, and at that time I began researching and found this site, and along the way have come to feel very fortunate that I'm HER2+, as being ER/PR- has closed off many options.

The on-going research into the HER gene is being translated into new discoveries for all cancers. I feel like a lucky guinea pig
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #27
weezie1053

Smile

Being Her2Neu+ means seeking out the best in the medical field of oncology. It means renewing old friendships and forgiving old family members for being human. It is appreciation of neighbors who brought in food when you had no energy to drive to the grocery store or cook. It means signing onto this web site to make sure you are kept abreast (no pun intended) of treatment options. It means learning from the experiences of others who you never have met face to face, but with whom you share your fears and your successes. My life has been changed, but I can honestly say it changed for the better. I now take time to smell the roses and I also try to "pay it back."

Louise
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:00 AM   #28
udith3

I've been on for 9 years and remain clean..
Old 01-31-2008, 05:01 PM   #29
Cathya

When I was first diagnosed my surgeon and onc thought that I had a 3 cm tumor and no positive nodes. My onc did not intend to do more than radiation. I was not comfortable about this as I thought the tumor was too large for there to be absolutely no spread. (I have an old microbiology degree....lol) Being her2+ never crossed our minds. After my onc found the tumor in my supraclavicular node after my supposedly clear margins he immediately put me on chemo (AC + Taxol). At that time testing for her2 was not standard but herceptin was getting a lot of press. I hesitated for quite a while but finally phoned my onc's office and left a message requesting that I be tested for her2. It was the first time I took any independent action and thank goodness I did. We were all surprised at the results and I began herceptin during my last treatment of taxol. I also bought the book on the development of herceptin and did a lot of reading. I really wasn't sure what to think but once I found this site and spent some time on it I found myself feeling more empowered, knowledgeable and calm. Because of my experience with a second tumor following clean margins I am a firm believer in all her2+ bc patients getting chemo but I am also very optomistic that we are indeed the lucky ones.

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #30
duga35

Well, when I was dx the 1st of Dec, I was knocked down at the fact that I had male breast cancer at 39. When I went home and read the patholgy report it said er/pr positive, and her2-neu strongly positive. I didn't even know what that meant until I Googled it, read, and read, and read some more. It scared the h### out of me after I found out what it meant.
Then, for some reason I found this board
After reading, and reading, then reading some more, it helped calm me down, and after joining and interacting a bit I felt even better.
Where I am now.......
I saw my oncologist for the first time this week. I started Tamoxifin, and we discussed the her2. What he told me was that he didn't feel that I need chemo, nor Herceptin, because the infiltrating tumor was so small, and I was node negative. But, he doesn't have that much experience with male bc, especially at 39, so he wants to contact some doctors in bigger cities to see what data they have on men, before we make a decision. He is supposed to call me sometime this week to let me know what he thinks, but the more I think about it, I really think that I need to push for the Herceptin. Especially after reading so many good things about it here.
Tumor Stage pt1b NO MO
DCIS Tumor size 1.5 x 1.x .6cm
Infiltration tumor size .25X.17 cm
Bloom-Richardson Grade 3(score 8)
Nuclear Grade 3 with comedo necrosis
Estrogen+/Progestrone+/HER-2/Neu +++
FISH ratio 4.31
Lymph node removal scheduled 1/07/08
17 nodes tested and all negative 1/08/08
Started Tamoxifin 1/29/08
Oncotype DX score 52 (off the charts, according to my onc!!!)
Starting TCH 3/14/08
BRCA I Positive BRCA II Negative
Finished TC 6/27/08 continue Herceptin
8/1/08 Herceptin stopped due to low Muga score
Mastectomy on left breast 11/10/08
duga35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #31
Carol Carlson

I was diagnoed in 3/04.. 2.2cm idc 4/18 nodes postive , er/pr/ neg and her2 positive.
Not having ANY knowledge of what being her2+ meant, I started my search. When I did find out, I was very concerned After my surgeries I started my standard chemo and asked my onc. about herceptin which I had read about. She said the studies were still on going and that there was a real concern about the cardiac side effects. SOOOOOO I cont. with my standard stuff and rads. until Oct. of '04. When I went back for a check up in May, she discussed the woderful and hopeful results of the findings and that since there was no protocol at the time about how effective it would be to receive after having been out of standard chemo for 9 months. She called her expert friend at Dan Farber about whether there was a protocal yet on stage 1-2 B.C. pateints receving Herceptin. His answer was bascially. gosh we don't have enough data yet to determine whether or not early stage patients, being out of standard chemo for more the 6 months would actually benefit.
Fortunately, my onc. encouraged me to go on it for a year and they would do the reg cardiac untrasounds to pick up any change or lowering of LVF. I received it for a year and so happy I did. However, at the time they prety much left the ball in my court because they did not have the comprehensive data that they have now.
Over the last 3 years, they do have emperical data to determine that, indeed , it should be given to her2 patients.
When I first found out that I was her2pos., I just figured well, this is Murphy's law.... if I'm going to get something, it's gotta be big and nasty.
I'm now a 4 year survivor and I don't have the same " dread" that first occured when I was diagnosed. I feel that we her2 gals and guys are going to have a much better shot at recovery. Thanks to drugs like herceptin.
Carol
Carol Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #32
udith3

Get another opinion if your oncogolist is not sure. I live in Pittsburgh,Pa.. and if you have brest cancer this is a great place for treatment and research... there are men where I go that have breast cancer..This is nothing to fool around with...Take care~~~Judith
Old 02-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #33
Jackie07

I am uploading this file again because I posted in the wrong thread.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Herceptin 020308-2.doc (6.0 KB, 123 views)

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote