HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-02-2003, 04:33 AM   #1
Elaine, UK

Jane / Carol / Sandy

Jane - with respect - that's rubbish - it isn't old treatment. I've a document here if only I could scan it in to send you. I am attending a top cancer hospital here in the UK and my doctor gave me some literature on the subject.

Carol - the sun sensitivity is only temporary. Thus no problem after a couple of weeks only. Vit D could be taken meanwhile in supplement format??

All - the following US names are listed on the literature I have here:
Dr Thomas S Mang at the State University of New York at Buffalo, Squire 112, 3435 Main Street, Buffalo, NY
email: tmang@diormen-lasers.com
Ron Allison, MD, Greenville, North Caroline
David Dougherty, DO, Buffalo, NY
Gretchen ewson, RN, Buffalo, NY
Wendy Snider, Buffalo, NY
These are all references of doctors looking at PDT in the States.

The literature I have here reads:
"Chest wall progression of breast cancer followiong failure of salvage therapy, radition and chemo-hormonal therapy is a quagmire with limited therapeutic options. As PDT offers excellent results to cutaneous lesions, PDT may play a role in this indication... etc.

A total of 102 chest wall sites were treated with PDT following failure of multimodality salvage therapy. In these 9 patients lesion sizes ranged from .57 to 9cm. PDT consisted of outpatient IV infusion of 0.8mg/kg of Photofin, followed 47 hours later by 630 nm light treatment...etc

Results - PDT was well tolerated with no photosensitivity reported. Despite all patients having failed surgery, full dose radiation and mutiagent chemo-hormonal therapy, chest wall lesions healed with no scaring. Only one (9cm) lesions took greater than 3 months to granulate over. All treatment sites were evaluable and complete response, defined as total lesion elimination wa noted in 89%, reduction withouth regrowth occured in 8% with no response in 3% of the lesions.

Conclusions: Despite having prior treatment and fragile tissues, low dose Photofrin Induced PDT offers excellent clinical response with minor mobidity. These results show that PDT should play an important role in the management of chest wall failure from breast cancer."

I reckon 89% beats any treatment % I've ever heard of and I'm down on the trial to have it done.
Hope this helps.
Best wishes
Elaine
Old 12-03-2003, 11:51 AM   #2
Anonymous

With all due respect can we keep this board supportive? No need for words like rubbish. We are here to share information hopefully with a smile?