HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
margiermc

I am on the Vaccine in Washington would like to chat with anyone on same vaccine

Hi, I posted a thread about this, quite a few times, I am on the vaccine in Seattle Washington - I travel from Tampa Florida - Dr. Salazar is my dr. My trip is once a month - 4 airplanes and about 18 hrs of flying roundtrip from tampa, seattle, seattle to tampa in less that 5 days.
I cannot express the money that has been spent - it's adding up - but, I believe in the cause. If anyone is on this vaccine please email or private message - I like to talk about how you feel and vs versa, reactions, followup care etc. This is experimental, I feel like I'm doing this for me and for future bc survivors.
margiermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
hank907@bellsouth.net

Re: I am on the Vaccine in Washington would like to chat with anyone on same vaccine

I see this is an older post, but I finished the trials there , last July '09. I also saw Dr. Salazar. I am from Atlanta , and did all the visits that you did. I sure do think \ hope it is worthwhile . I am doing fine as of now , let me know how you are doing ! Lynn
hank907@bellsouth.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
kiwigirl

Location: Matakana which is one hour north of Auckland, New Zealand.
Re: I am on the Vaccine in Washington would like to chat with anyone on same vaccine

I'm on this trial to. But I think I win I live in New Zealand 14 hours to the USA and then 2 hours to Seattle. I to think it is worth while and yes it is costing heaps. I'll be there for the day on the 17 Aug. You can get discount domestic flights through the American Cancer Society. I don't as I'm not a US citizen. I'm leaving NZ tomorrow but will send an email later. All the best... Keep up the good work.. Regards Jacqui
March 2010 continued on Herception untill 16 Dec 2010
May 2010 Ultra Sound .... ALL CLEAR... NED
August 2010 started vaccine trial University of Washington
7th Dec 2010 finished vaccine trial
20th Dec 2010 Port removed
3rd Feb no longer ned brain mets
23r Feb start VMAT radiation
August 2011 two new mets to brain and others starting to grow again !!!!
August start tykerb and xeloda
Dec 1 MRI all small brain mets gone. Largest shrunk by 50% only three small ones to go 17mm,8mm,6mm. Mets on there way out. Yeah
kiwigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
Jackie07

Lynn and kiwigirl,

I found one of the postings of Margirmc (below) back in late Novemeber 2009. My guess is that she's been enjoying NED and went on with her life. If you click on her name on the Board, you will find all the postings she'd made. There's also her e-mail address if you want to get hold of her. [In case she no longer logs on to this Board]
There are also several 'newly diagnosed' who have reached NED after participating in the Washington vaccine trial. Roll up the Newly Diagnosed postings and you will find them.]

Hi, I went back to work, felt good to be in a normal world.
Last Monday was the last vaccine in Washington, got
very emotional about health screening, not just for me but
for my daughter and other young family members.

I just felt - what will they say next, no treatment to later stages?
Got, scared. We all have our own personal faith and political
opinion. And, yes - we do need to keep this post focus on what we all have and are going through her2 breast cancer disease.

It did get political - with government panel guidelines, all over the news, and some like myself had an urge to say something, letting others aware - about possible insurance problems, but there are other places to take action/advocacy groups etc.

There are many organizations that have online petitions, Komen is one of them - that will combat this head on - and that is a good place to vent/or take action that will hopefully show a voice in how a breast cancer survivor feels in front of the political arena.

As for me,
I am doing well, working, cooking, exercising and decorating for the holidays.
Wish all good healthy holidays!

Forgive me, I was scared, tired and emotional.
Margie

dcis
liver met 10 wk treatment TCH
NED
Vaccine

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 08-11-2010 at 10:59 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
hank907@bellsouth.net

Thank you for that . Have not heard back from her as of yet. I appreciate your thoughts tho, and may try to contact her again . Thanks so much , Lynn
Old 10-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
DiDi70

Hello!

I hope that you're having a wonderful day. I am interested in participating in the Washington trial and would also love to hear from anyone who is on the trial regarding side-effects and hopefully, successes of the vaccine.

Thank you for being brave enough to participate in the trials and for taking us all one step closer to the cure!
DiDi70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Myra Lynn

Hi Didi,
I have just finished Herceptin and am waiting to discuss the results of a PET/CT scan. Assuming I am OK, I was interested in the vaccine trials. I think that being pro-active is a good idea for me and recent press from the Cleveland Clinic looks promising.

Are the trials in Seattle part of the same study?
Any information that clarifies this would be most appreciated.
7/17/09 lumpectomy
Stage 1- 0.5 cm IDC , DCIS 25%
HER2 +++, ER+95%, PR+10%
8/09 Muga Scan 65
8/19/09 beg. TCH 1Xwk. 12 wks.
last chemo 11/26/09
IMRT - 33 txs. 1/12/10 to 3/11/10
Herceptin 1X week for 1 yr. Ends 8/10
Femara 3X wk. started 1/13/10-t
oo much pain in middle finger; switched to Arimidex 4/28/10 -permanently swollen, but no pain. Will continue for 5 yrs.
10/2/11 CT/PET scan due to elevated CA27.29 of 40.5.
Hot spot in irradiated area. Score goes down again to normal range. Subsequent blood tests go up and down until 2 tests in row at elevated levels of 42.5 & 45.7.
7/9/11 Intermittent vertigo. As a precaution contrast MRI to head. NED.
8/15/11 Erratic CA27.29 may be result of new auto immune disease, bullous pemphigoid (skin problem)
Off Arimidex for 6 wks. to see if trigger finger improves
Switched to Aromasin, 3X wk., but affected my liver.
On 2/23/12 taken off AI's.

Myra Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
DiDi70

Hello Myra Lynn and group!

The vaccine trial in Washington requires the participant (patient) to be receiving Herceptin during the 6 months of their participation in the trial, so it looks like you won't be eligible for that one.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Cleveland Clinic trials, but I would love to hear more about what's being done there. I will look around and see what I can find out.

What you might find useful is contacting the American Cancer Society where there will be a person available on the phone to direct you to the website that lists all current trials related to breast cancer. It will take a bit of searching, but the Cancer Society will help you. Also, there should be some help for you at your cancer clinic from a Social Worker who can direct you to the appropriate resources in your community to help you with the search.

I will let you know what I find out about the Cleveland Clinic.

Have a lovely day and congratulations on nearing the end of Herceptin! Good luck with your scan, I'll be thinking of you!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
joletta

Hi,
I am interested as well Can someone send me the link on where to go..(Jackieo7 are you there..) I keep googling seatle washington her2 breast trial and its giving me feedback from 1998? Help want to make sure im viewing the right one/ Do they list specifically the pros and cons. Does any one have information on angel flights and hope lodge to save on costs of travel and is the treatment free because its clinical?
Definatly would be nice to be able to link up and travel w/someone else on site not to be alone if possible.
Hugs,
Joletta
may 4 2010 port import
may 6 2010 clean ct scan & bone scan
may 11 2010 start 4 A/C (finish aug 3 2010)
aug 17 2010 start weekly herceptine & taxol 12xs (end date of oct 19 2010)
nov-dec 2010 30 radation
(plan permanent implants for feb or mar 2011)
continue on herceptine till aug 2011

Love & prayers to everyone
Joletta
joletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
StephN

Joletta -

Go to this link:

http://depts.washington.edu/tumorvac/trials.php

This is for the HER2 vaccine trial here in Seattle. It gives the name and phone number of the trial coordinator. You will see that there is more than one trial at this time. By calling, they can tell you which one would be best for you.

There is also a vaccine trial for HER2 beast cancer back east. Some of the gals here have done that one.

Now you have some "homework."

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Jackie07

Joletta,

Chelee posted this one yesterday (?) for another member:

"I think it's very normal for you to be looking for clinical trials. It's good that you want to stay informed and vigilant. I do agree with Debbie that this would be a great time for a 2nd and even 3rd opinion. (Go outside your network/group.) There are lots of trials...which ones you might fit into I don't know? But there are several good clinical trial sites. One I use you can put all your information in & it will give you results that match your dx. It's called "Breast Cancer Trials.org". Here's the link and see if it turns anything up for you in your area.

https://www.breastcancertrials.org/bct_nation/home.seam?cid=5057

That's interesting that your onc would tell you matter of fact that there are no trials for you. I really highly suggest seeking 2nd opinions...this is a perfect time for that. Also what is your onc's doing to moniter you now that your done with trt? How often does he want to see you now? I'm so happy to see you are doing all the right things! It's good you are researching, learning all you can now. But do remember some really don't recur. We have quite a few on this board alone that haven't & are doing well. Keep us updated."

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
joletta

Thank You Jackie and Steph for the helpful links.
Seattle washington is only offering stage 3b an 4 currently. Washington DC which is closer is offering a few diffrent kinds. You will be randomized 1 0f 3 diffrent ones they are offering. I believe it was a phase 1 trial. these pep tide vaccines seem to be dating back to atleast 10 years ago has any of them made it for a standorized treatment? After getting all the basic treatment does it really seem worth the risk to go through a trial....Is it possible these vaccines could actully bring on more her2 thus making it recur. I will not see my oncologist again untill oct 19..I plan on asking him these questions then. Mabe someone can respond that has been on this trial with good sucess and what vaccine did they get and are they getting close to approving it? does anyone know what the sucess rate is and how much % would it lower the recur rate..i guess that would also depend on what peptide they are on also or mabe since it is still in clinicals these # are not known yet?
seekin info
Thanks
Joletta
may 4 2010 port import
may 6 2010 clean ct scan & bone scan
may 11 2010 start 4 A/C (finish aug 3 2010)
aug 17 2010 start weekly herceptine & taxol 12xs (end date of oct 19 2010)
nov-dec 2010 30 radation
(plan permanent implants for feb or mar 2011)
continue on herceptine till aug 2011

Love & prayers to everyone
Joletta
joletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
Myra Lynn

Thanks Didi & everyone else,

First the good news: It looks like there is NED based on the results of the PET/CT scan. I will take a blood test in 2 months to make sure my numbers hold.

I will pursue the leads that all of you provided and see what I can learn about the clinical trials. I'll let you know what I find.
7/17/09 lumpectomy
Stage 1- 0.5 cm IDC , DCIS 25%
HER2 +++, ER+95%, PR+10%
8/09 Muga Scan 65
8/19/09 beg. TCH 1Xwk. 12 wks.
last chemo 11/26/09
IMRT - 33 txs. 1/12/10 to 3/11/10
Herceptin 1X week for 1 yr. Ends 8/10
Femara 3X wk. started 1/13/10-t
oo much pain in middle finger; switched to Arimidex 4/28/10 -permanently swollen, but no pain. Will continue for 5 yrs.
10/2/11 CT/PET scan due to elevated CA27.29 of 40.5.
Hot spot in irradiated area. Score goes down again to normal range. Subsequent blood tests go up and down until 2 tests in row at elevated levels of 42.5 & 45.7.
7/9/11 Intermittent vertigo. As a precaution contrast MRI to head. NED.
8/15/11 Erratic CA27.29 may be result of new auto immune disease, bullous pemphigoid (skin problem)
Off Arimidex for 6 wks. to see if trigger finger improves
Switched to Aromasin, 3X wk., but affected my liver.
On 2/23/12 taken off AI's.

Myra Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #14
DiDi70

Hi Joletta and group,

I have the Protocols for the Seattle Tumour Vaccine Group and it spells out what one needs to do if accepted to the trial. I also have the actual study from Phase 1 of the trial, which talks about side-effects, how the vaccine will hypothetically work, how many people were in the trial and the interesting results of phase 1. All but one participant mounted an immune response to the vaccine which contains peptides which make up Her2. One of the staff at the research centre told me that the concern is that the vaccine could cause auto-immune disease, but it is not known yet as not much time has passed since phase 1.

If you would like to me to send you the study, I will, but I think I can only send it via email as it is an attachment. I will try to post it separately.

Didi
Old 10-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #15
DeenaH

I have the paperwork ready to fax for this trial, but I can't do the trial until I finish rads. I think I was communicating with Dorrine. It has been several weeks since she sent me the paperwork (after I sent her my path reports), and she has emailed me to follow up. Maybe that means they are interested in my case. I haven't decided if I want to do the trial or not.

Good luck!
DeenaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:21 AM   #16
hank907@bellsouth.net

Yes, Doreen is great. I am actually going there this Thursday for their Open House. I hope I can learn something about how the trials are progressing !
Old 11-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #17
DeenaH

Didi - I would love to see what you have on the trial if you wouldn't mind emailing it to me.

deenaheinrich@yahoo.com

Thanks!
August 20, 2010: PET/CT showed no cancer in any nodes, and only a little uptake to the breast.
September 9, 2010: Bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implants and Alloderm.
September 16, 2010: Pathology report showed 18/51 positive axillary nodes, 3.2cm tumor. Granual sized cancer found in the fatty tissue between levels 1 and 2.
October 19, 2010: CT showed several spots on lungs and 1 spot on liver. Liver spot is 2mm, lung spots range from 2mm to 4mm. We don't know if they are cancer or not.
12/15/10: Brain MRI clear
1/7/11: PET/CT
1/13/11: Recurrence in lungs. Start Tykerb
5/13/11: Progression in lungs
6/3/11: Lung surgery to get tumors for chemosensitivity testing.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #18
DeenaH

Thanks for the info Didi! I'm just waiting to hear back from Doreen to see if I qualify.
August 20, 2010: PET/CT showed no cancer in any nodes, and only a little uptake to the breast.
September 9, 2010: Bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implants and Alloderm.
September 16, 2010: Pathology report showed 18/51 positive axillary nodes, 3.2cm tumor. Granual sized cancer found in the fatty tissue between levels 1 and 2.
October 19, 2010: CT showed several spots on lungs and 1 spot on liver. Liver spot is 2mm, lung spots range from 2mm to 4mm. We don't know if they are cancer or not.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #19
DeenaH

I got in, and start the trial next week!! Let me know if any of you also get in. Maybe we'll be there at the same time.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:35 AM   #20
Ellie F

Congratulations Deena! Please let us know how you get on. Will you get another PET scan before starting the vaccine trial to establish a baseline? I know they do lots of blood work etc

Hugs
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote