HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
july

I was diagnosed with stage3, her2+++ BC this september. I am 37 and have two small kids. Finished AC and currently undergoing taxol. My doctor does not want to give heceptin. I am very scared of recurrence. I want to participate in some clinical trial and am not sure whether herceptin trial would be better or vaccine trial. Appreciate any response.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:35 PM   #2
*_Kim in DC_*

I would try for both if you are able. The vaccine seems to work better on cancer cells previously treated with herceptin. Again, getting herceptin without mets may be difficult.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:34 PM   #3
eric

I would push for herceptin since there's more history and proof of it's success. You can always look into a vaccine trial that allows prior herceptin use afterwards.

In addition, if you feel strongly about getting herceptin, I would push your onc or get other opinions. My wife was stage 3 and her onc agreed to give her the herceptin off label but because her tumor was on the left side, he wouldn't allow the herceptin until after she completed radiation. Unfortunately, she reached stage 4 even before starting the herceptin. Since starting the herceptin she's had a great reaction so I do wonder if getting it earlier might have prevented or significantly delayed the spread. I gain nothing by looking back but hopefully you can.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Best regards, Eric
Old 12-21-2004, 09:54 PM   #4
margaret

Hi, just wanted to let you know I was 38 and stage IIIb in Nov. 2001 and I'm NED now. There is alot of hope for full recovery. I was on a clinical trial for weekly herceptin so I would reccomend it. I also would reccomend accupuncture, yoga and meditation to help. It worked for me. Take care.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:59 AM   #5
Lolly

I would try to get into a trial with Herceptin. There is much more data on Herceptin than on the vaccines at this point, and although the vaccines are showing great promise they are still experimental. You may possibly qualify for a vaccine trial at a later date, but get the Herceptin now if you can.

I am in the same boat as Eric's wife, wondering if Herceptin at an earlier point would have prevented or at least delayed recurrence. I'm VERY grateful that it's been available to me as Stage IV, and sincerely hope that the trials will prove it's usefulness for earlier stage disease.

Love, Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:44 PM   #6
july

Thanks for the wonderful replies. Any idea where to get into the herceptin trial. I am also searching for it online but only found the one offered by genentech. Are there any other trials? I live in California.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:59 PM   #7
*_Rose_*

I am on a clinical trial using Herceptin for early breast cancer. It is from the NCCTG. N9831 Phase III Trial
Old 03-05-2005, 10:58 PM   #8
louise a.

hi july,
i have just signed the consent form for CALGB 49909 phase lll trial...i'm hoping to fall into one of the 2 herceptin arms...i found out about this from an oncologist at duke univ. med. ctr, but maybe the CALGB has a website?
i wish you good health whatever you decide to do,
louise a.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #9
*_anne_*

Hi,
Try to get the Herceptin first, then you can try for vaccine trial. The one in PA will accept past Herceptin treatment. If you have to vaccine first, I don't think you can have adjuvant Herceptin later.
Good luck,
Anne
Old 03-11-2005, 05:59 PM   #10
Phylicia

I have a friend who is her2neu positive. She has just started getting A/C. Taxor or Taxotere will follow. She is interested in locating any clinical trials where she can get Herceptin and Taxol or Taxotere together even though she is not metastatic. Please let me know if there are any trials in the Washington DC/Baltimore areas.

Thanks,

Phylicia