HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
Lolly

Hello All, I am officially enrolled in the Her2 Vaccine/Herceptin trial at UW in Seattle!

The day was long, 10:00 - 4:30. I met Dr. Disius and Dr. Salazar, then the first hour+ was spent with Dr. Salazar, reviewing the consent agreement and having any questions answered and signing the forms. Then had an exam, chest x-ray, height, weight etc. Then, lunch. Then, blood, LOTS of blood, was drawn. Then, THE VACCINE! After that, the observation period, which was very enjoyably spent visiting with Steph and hearing about SABCS in more detail, plus just sitting and grinning at each other! And then I was released to go home...The staff is superb, I felt very pampered.

Today, I feel ok, just slightly tired which may be a result of the vaccine or the trip, won't know until tomorrow. The injection site is slightly reddened and rashy, but not painful, really, all to be expected and actually a good thing as it indicates, YES, an immune response! I was told that with each successive vaccine, the reaction may get stronger as the antibodies build up in my system. Dr. Salazar asked me to keep a log of my reaction and symptoms, and bring it next visit.

All in all, a very positive experience. Of course, we're hoping this translates into long-term NED, but also I am so happy to contribute to the data, and to know that I may be helping to bring the vaccine into clinical use.

Will keep you posted.
Love, Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote