HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 09-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
DianneS

Breast cancer, India & curry?

Just wondering.....if curry (curcumin) is a good anti breast cancer food, do women have less breast cancer in countries where curry is eaten regularly, such as India? Any studies?

Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Laurel

Re: Breast cancer, India & curry?

Dianne,

There are several studies that support this if I remember correctly. Google "curcumin and breast cancer" and you will have plenty to digest. I add curry to everything because I love it! And yes, less BC is noted among the Indian population.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
Rich66

Might not be good for (ex)smokers:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...light=curcumin
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Ellie F

Hi
Just read recent posting ( I think from Rich) about a trial giving curcumin to bc patients having chemo. It appeared to be well tolerated up to 8000 units after which it appeared toxic.
I have been doing some informal research of my own with people from a south asian community. On average they consume about 2000 units per day every day in their normal diet and bc is rare.
Wondered what amounts were taken by members of the board?
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
margiermc

I now add curry to alot of foods - I wonder in other countries, if they did not grow up with fast foods, like this country - does that have something to do with less bc cancer and other cancer's?

margiermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
TanyaRD

There is a known link between cancer an obesity. I'm sure it, along with multiple other dietary factors, plays a major role in other countries and BC or other CA rates.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
DianneS

Dear Tanya,

I have read that some bc women are taking up to 800 mg (or IU, can't remember) of curcumin. One brand is called Life Extension with bioperine (pepper) - 5 mg. Is this a recommended dose?

I am taking a brand called New Chapters which has 400 mg curcumin in an olive oil base. Apparently fish oil is recommended to help absorb the curcumin.

New Chapters uses the rhizome, while some other supplements use the root. What is the difference? Which is better? How much should I take? Thank you so much,
Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
ElaineM

Wink Re: Breast cancer, India & curry?

I cook with curcumin (tumeric). I love it in rice dishes, soups, stews and I even put a little in my hummus.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #9
TanyaRD

Hi Dianne,
Sorry it has taken me a few days to respond. I hope you had a nice holiday. I have done some research on your questions. I frequently see people taking between 400-800mg curcumin in supplement form. Unlike prescription and over the counter medications there is no a true "set dose" for things such as curcumin. Various amounts have been studied and in various forms. I looked for some research on the oil issue and could not find any studies but only information from companies selling products. It is known that bioavailability of curcumin orally is quite poor. As far as root vs rhizome it again appears unclear. Tumeric is made of both root and rhizome.

I cannot recommend a dose or a product at this point. I believe it is beneficial to include tumeric in cooking on a routine basis. This is just one of many anti-cancer practices that can be accomplished in the diet.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
Becky

All I can recommend is that a portion of chicken curry (about one cup) contains about 200mg of curcumin. Therefore, go by that. I am sure that in Indian cooking, they don't eat curcumin in every dish, in every meal, everyday. So, if there is an anticancer effect, say 200mg four times a week? Just thinking out loud here.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
Liaidarutrica

Breast cancer India curry

hey sarah , what is actuall reason of breast cancer, my wife have different size of boobs, one is big and one is little and she checkup from doctor , doc said the she is fine ?
Liaidarutrica is offline   Reply With Quote