HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Keeping Your Mind Off of BC
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Keeping Your Mind Off of BC Fun things and posts that do not apply to BC

Old 08-31-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Bill

Smile Survival Packs

Hi gang! About ten years ago I read a book encouraging people to set up and maintain a "survival pack". With the posts regarding the latest hurricane threat, I thought I would share some of my survival pack info. The goal of the survival pack is to provide you with everything you need to survive through any type of crisis situation/calamity for at least 3 days, barring any catastrophic injury. The pack should be small and lightweight, a knapsack type. It should be taken with you wherever you go! You can keep it in the trunk of your car and take it with you on any hikes or trips down the river, or wherever you go. In this day and age, you never know when a crisis will arise, and you're on your own. I will list the basic components that the survival pack should contain, and you guys can personalize your own. Keep in mind- the pack should not get so large and heavy that it is a problem to carry. Mine is less than 10 pounds or so. Make sure it is a knapsack, so that you can throw it on your back and walk with it if you need to hike and survive to a safe area. I have what I call a master survival pack containing an emergency radio and a water filter system, but most packs shouldn't need those. My pack can care for 4 people for at least 3 days. Everyone should have their own pack. I'm going to list items, and you guys determine the amount. Personalize your own pack. Please make one, and if you are on any meds., stick at least a 3 day supply in it. If all this seems like a real pain in the butt to do, think about the last time your car broke down in the desert or you got stuck in a snowstorm or whatever, or lost power for a day or two. This pack could save your life, or a loved one's life. Start setting it up tomorrow. Wal-mart has really nice packs for cheap! I recommend getting a bladder-type pack. I have one and all my survival stuff fits in it and there's still room for extra day-hiking stuff. Here are the basics for any survival pack. If anyone wants to chime in, please feel free. Emergency poncho (99cents) lighter, matches, candles, small LED flashlight with spare batts., compass, survival blanket(tin-foil), glow sticks, 50 ft. small rope, bottled water, food(should be protein bars, trail mix, nuts, etc.) knife, leatherman type tool, Advil, Excedrin(contains caffeine-2 or 3 days without a coffee,tea, soda fix will make you wish you were dead) first aid kit, sheet plastic(for shelter),pencil, paper,fishing line, hooks, float, small mirror(signalling and primping) firestarter, a roll of electrical tape(many uses-repair and field bandaging), needle and thread, insect repellant, knit hat (skull cap or whatever you call may call them- the goal is to cover the head and the base of the skull where the hypothalamus lies, which regulates body temperature.) tin foil, string, clear plastic bags. Food, water and batteries should be rotated quarterly. Please set these packs up immediately. I want to read posts in the future about how these packs helped you. Don't be the ones that get in a jam and think, "aw, darn, I wish I had that pack-thing Bill was talking about"
Old 08-31-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
StephN

Wink

Once again our buddy Bill is on the job!

My younger sister has been working in skyscrapers in downtown Seattle for many years now. She has had a backpack survival kit in her car and taken in to work every day for several years.

She recently showed me her "NEW" survival pack - a rolling pack - so she doesn't have to carry it any more. Just roll it with her.

For the past few years she has been working for Amazon.com and they are located in an old art deco Veterans hospital building made of brick. It has been completely earthquake proofed, etc, as much as possible. But they are very big on employee safety.

She also has half the trunk of her car filled with emergency stuff for her 2 daughters. We don't go THAT far, but have some supplies here at home gathered into a couple of medium size plastic bins.

They tell us that another one of our mountains may blow its top, so even without hurricanes, they find something to warn us about.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
hutchibk

Living in LA during the Northridge quake taught me alot about staying prepared and having a survival pack. Then, on 9/11, I decided to keep it well stocked all the time. I do need to add 5 days of water to it, and check the batteries, but other than that, it's in pretty good shape.

Another thing to consider is a survival pack for your pets. Have carriers, bowls, leashes, collars, litter boxes, food, and meds ready to go. Remember to add your pet's water needs in with yours when buying water... you will need to share water with them.

Also, not only canned food for yourself, but a CAN OPENER!!! And a deck of cards doesn't hurt.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:44 AM   #4
Kathy S in Tokyo

Location: From Syracuse, NY but living in Tokyo, Japan for 26yrs
Disaster Readiness

Great timing with your post Bill. Today the kids all had the annual disaster talks at school and came home asking about our survival pack. The neighborhood committee does drills a few times a year so we know where we can go for shelter and food if a big earthquake hits (and how to prepare the food in big pots for the entire neighborhood).

I live in an apartment building with many senior citizens and we've made sure that there is someone on each floor who knows which residents may need assistance in escaping. We handed out whistles to every resident so they can use them in emergencies but I have a feeling that most of them have stowed them away somewhere and won't be able to access them easily if they remember them.

I had to re-pack our survival kit and give all the old disposable diapers in it away as my kids have been out of diapers for quite some time. I also let the kids eat the rations for snacks every so often and restock to keep things fresh. Municipalities here are pretty quick at getting meals to serve to disaster survivors who all seem to have their own survival kit dishes but with no water for washing up, survivors have commented that a bit of Saran wrap over the bottom of the plate or bowl before getting a portion of whatever rice or veggie soup on offer (typical Japanese volume menues) saves the food from sticking and can be disposed of afterward.

These are things I hope we never need but know we will be glad to have should the need arise.
11/2005 Clavicle & neck lymph nodes mets
30 Days rads, 7 months CEF-T Chemo
6/2006 mid chemo lung mets oral toremifene
10/2006 changed hospitals
12/2006 Tamoxifen and monthly Zoladex
2/2007 Dramatic growth of mets! Stopped Tamoxifen and Zoladex
3/2007 Began weekly Herceptin
6/2007 Added weekly Taxol to regime
4/2008 More lung mets - stopped Taxol
5/2008 Xeloda - 3 weeks on 1 week off
8/2008 Got a port!
9/2008 Stopped Xeloda, started weekly Navelbine
12/2008 Tumor progression, stopped Navelbine
1/2009 Taxotere begins again, once in every three weekly Herceptin IVs
3/2009 Added Zometa pelvic bone met, lung tumors progressing, stopped Taxotere/Herceptin
4/10/2009 Whoa seizure! 6cm&3cm brain mets. craniotomy and gamma knife surgery 5/15/2009 Started
Adria/Cyto stopped 9/15 due to progession. Brain mets back 10/28 surgery more gamma soon
Kathy S in Tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
notamrnpsn

Survival pack

There is always good old MRE's. I think you can get them almost anywhere now. Jeanette
notamrnpsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
juanita

I'll print this off for use, but we always have a survival kit of sorts here in the house because living in the country makes for interesting weather at times. Especially in winter.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Bill

Thanks for the reminder, Kathy, I forgot to mention the whistle in each pack, and in each first aid kit-benadryl for stings and bites, and two small tubes of super-glue for closing large wounds in the field. Remember in a calamity situation, help may be days in getting to you. I also highly recommend learning how to use that compass. When lost in the woods with no distinct landmarks, people tend to walk in a huge circle, even when they think they are walking a straight line. Right-handed people walk akilter to the right and left-handed people veer slightly to the left, in big circles. Using that compass when lost in the woods is critical. The survival pack should be with you at all times, or at least within a quick trot to the trunk of your car. A crisis doesn't always wait until you are at home.

Last edited by Bill; 09-01-2008 at 01:40 PM..
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
PinkGirl

The British Columbia Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising all
persons who use the out of doors in a recreational or work
related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear small noisy bells on
clothing so as to give advance warning to any bears that might
be close by. We also advise people to carry "Pepper Spray" in
case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity
and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and
grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of
berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear shit has small bells in it and
smells like pepper.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
Bill

Lol, Pinkie! Oh, you are too much
Old 09-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #10
Joe
Webmaster

O Boy...Did I get this wrong !!!

I had the Holiday on my mind...
This is a REAL Survival Pack
Attached Images

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #11
sassy

Wow Joe,

That should be a good enough pack for the whole site!

I say we all plan our emergency with Joe.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!

Last edited by sassy; 09-01-2008 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: added comment
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
ElaineM

Smile survival packs

Aloha,
Great ideas folks !! I need to make a new one (with a whistle too).
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #13
hutchibk

I'm hoping I can find Joe in case of emergency!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
Vi Schorpp

PinkGirl

"Grizzly bear shit has small bells in it and
smells like pepper. "

Are the small bells in the feces from the aforementioned outdoorsmen?
Her2++, ER & PR++
RB Mastectomy, 4 AC,
Vi Schorpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #15
PinkGirl

Wink

Yep, that's it Vi. The joke is that the small bells and the
pepper spray won't work on the grizzly's.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #16
Vi Schorpp

PinkGirl

That's too funny! Leave it to you to come up with a unique survival kit.
Her2++, ER & PR++
RB Mastectomy, 4 AC,
Vi Schorpp is offline   Reply With Quote