HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Iwannagrowold

Hi. Introduction. Question regarding herceptin reaction

Hello,

Have read many posts!! Glad I found you!!
I was diagnosed Jan 2010, stage 1, ER-/PR -, Her2 +, after Bilateral Mastectomies, and reconstruction.
I had 6 cycles TCH. Currently on herceptin alone thru February 2011.
Had increased palpitations after triple dose herceptin started so we are back to once weekly herceptin.
I have noticed pleuritic type chest pain and cough with infusion. Subtle but worrisome. It does not appear this is common and I wonder if it has to do with speed of infusion, herceptin or whatever is used as preservative in bag.
I had severe taxotere reaction after round 2 (flushing, chest burning,severe shortness of breath, cough), so I wonder if I am more sensitive to the chemicals that are used to preserve these drugs.

Has anyone had anything like this or am I losing my mind??

I would like to finish herceptin, but not at the expense of my lungs.

Thanks

Leslie
Iwannagrowold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
LoisLane

Re: Hi. Introduction. Question regarding herceptin reaction

Hi Leslie. Welcome to the board. I also had pretty bad reactions to the Taxotere, back pain, extreme fllushing, chest pain etc. I had four chemo treatments. When that happened they always stopped it for 40 minutes or so and then restarted slowly. As far as Herceptin is concerned I never really had a problem but the infusion nurse always felt it was important to give me the Herceptin at a slow rate. They also gave me Benadryl and Tylenol before. Take care and welcome again I hope you get good support through this website. I always find many hopeful thoughts and strength through all on here. Lois
Her2 negative
lymph nodes negative
venous/lymphatic invasion absent
ER+PR-
Stage I Grade 2
Radiation and Femara

November 2008
Lumpectomy right breast
2 tumours .03 cm and .05 cm and extensive DCIS
.05 tumour Her2+
lymph node negative
venous/lymphatic invasion "indeterminate"
ER+PR low postive
Stage 1 Grade 2

January 2009
bilateral mastectomy
chemotherapy taxotere
Herceptin one year
Femara
LoisLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
Chelee

Hi Leslie,
I had a bad reaction to Taxotere too. I had the red, fried face that was actually painful. When it comes to herceptin alone I was doing wkly doses. I started off that way and almost completed the entire yr doing it wkly. Even wkly I did notice I had times when I'd stand up after herceptin and have a severe headache and have to sit back down. Others times I would notice I couldn't walk upstairs right after my herceptin infusion without being so out of breath it scared me. It made no sense to me since these different problems didn't happen each time. I did have terrible sinus issues but as time went on my body adjusted to it and I had very little to no SE's at all. My ECHO's during this entire yr were great...so that eased any fears I might of had. Continue your wkly infusions for now and have them give you herceptin over a hrs time and see if that helps? We are all different so you just have to see what works best for you.

There are lots of ladies that have their herceptin infusion slowed down. To this day I still have my herceptin infusion set for a hr to be on the safe side & I have no problems at all anymore. We've had many discussion here about Herceptin...in fact here is a link for you to read thru...its all about Herceptin SE's, real and percieved that was started along time ago. It's got alot of info in it. Check it out and I'm sure others will chime in here too.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23696&highlight=herceptin+real+pe rceived

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
Barbara H.

If you plan to receive Herceptin for a year I would have a CT scan to rule out lung inflammation. It is a very rare side effect. If you have that side effect you may be able to continue Herceptin with steroids.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Iwannagrowold

Thank you Lois, Chelee, and Barb.
Barb, yes I have thought about the pulmonary side effects. Hopefully that is not the case.

Chelee: The thread with the compilation of herceptin side effects was very helpful. Thank you

Lois: Yes at my onc office I was getting the every 3 weeks herceptin dose over 90 minutes each time. Though, I've heard of many others getting their every 3 week dose over 30 minutes. I'll try next week with an even slower infusion rate.

Leslie
Iwannagrowold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Mary L

Hello. I had a bad reaction to taxotere and they actually had the crash carts come running in. I had very bad chest pain and shortness of breath. They gave me a large dose of benadryl and proceeded to start the taxotere again. Well it happened again and that was the end of taxotere for me. Herceptin was easy compared to that. I do have resisdual side effects and it is 3 years later but it saved by life. I was on it 5 years every other week only taking breaks when my ejection fraction went down. I'm cancer free three years.
Mary L from PA Diag: Oct 2003 w/6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, IBC stage IIIB. tx A/C followed by Taxotere(only able to have 2 tx, allergic), mastectomy, 3 0ut of 7 positive nodes. 35 rads. Recurrence 9 months later, skin mets to mastectomy site. Tx Carboplatin/Herceptin. Stayed on Herceptin almost 5 years, had 3 more recurrences when I had to stop Herceptin due to my ejection fraction getting too low. Herceptin stopped and ned 3 years in Oct. 2010.
Mary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
Mary L

I did receive my herceptin over 2 hours as I would get a red, hot face. Mary L
Mary L from PA Diag: Oct 2003 w/6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, IBC stage IIIB. tx A/C followed by Taxotere(only able to have 2 tx, allergic), mastectomy, 3 0ut of 7 positive nodes. 35 rads. Recurrence 9 months later, skin mets to mastectomy site. Tx Carboplatin/Herceptin. Stayed on Herceptin almost 5 years, had 3 more recurrences when I had to stop Herceptin due to my ejection fraction getting too low. Herceptin stopped and ned 3 years in Oct. 2010.
Mary L is offline   Reply With Quote