HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Becky

Can Herceptin Wipe Out Cancer Stem Cells?

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AACR/19625

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Rich66

Re: Can Herceptin Wipe Out Cancer Stem Cells?

Quote:
Mathematical modeling suggests that even in women whose breast cancer does not overexpress the HER-2 gene, treatment with trastuzumab (Herceptin) in the adjuvant setting could wipe out cancer stem cells, researchers reported here. "We predict that a year of trastuzumab therapy would likely eradicate breast cancer stem cells in patients in which the tumor overexpressed HER-2," said Mary E. Sehl, MD, PhD, of UCLA, during a poster presentation at the annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research.
Sehl added that if trastuzumab were prescribed for patients with tumors that expressed normal levels of HER-2, the treatment would still drive the breast cancer stem cells in that population to extinction -- but it might take three to four years of therapy.
I've heard before that there is some thought that breast cancer stem cells are her2 pos.

This idea of Herceptin working on cancer stem cells might explain continued Herceptin benefit after progression...progression thought to be expressed by faster cycling non-stem cells. Another reason to wonder if measuring visible growth in short intervals might be misleading at times.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
schoolteacher

Becky,

This is a very interesting article. I wonder how they determined that it would take three or four years for the stem cells to become extinct?

Sehl added that if trastuzumab were prescribed for patients with tumors that expressed normal levels of HER-2, the treatment would still drive the breast cancer stem cells in that population to extinction -- but it might take three to four years of therapy.

How does that relate to some people only having one year of Herceptin.

I have finished two years of Herceptin and started on my third year.

Could that mean after three or four years the stem cells could possibly be extinct in my body?

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:53 AM   #4
Ellie F

Hi Amelia
I asked my onc that same question at my last visit.My centre is involved in a study looking at that very issue. She said opinion is very divided on the existence of stem cells and further divided on their capabilities and life span!! She added that some colleagues believe that if you can eradicate most of them then the immune system can keep them in check but if large numbers are present they overwhelm it.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #5
schoolteacher

Ellie,

Please let me know if you find out anymore information about this topic.

I go for my Herceptin infusion on Thursday. I am going to take the article with me. I want to see what his opinion is about this topic.

I am afraid to come off Herceptin. If I knew that I could come off Herceptin in three or four years, it would give me some light at the end of the tunnel.

Ellie, I also did the vaccine at the University of Washington, and I am waiting to hear the results.

Amelia
Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
Ellie F

Amelia
Will let you know if I get anymore info. Are you on long term herceptin due to a recurrence? Sorry I can't remember your history.

Cheers Ellie
Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
schoolteacher

Ellie,

I was stage IV from the beginning. I had BC in my L4. The tumors had covered most of my breast, except for one quardrant.

AC did nothing to my cancer. I did this chemo for six weeks when the doctor figured out it was not working. My first herceptin and taxol treatment, I could feel my tumors shrinking. It was one of the most wonderful feelings I have ever had in my life.

Amelia
Old 04-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
Midwest Alice

Amelia,

My onc is going to keep me on Herceptin for 5 years. Then we will talk. The treatment in pill form for ER+ women is 5 years so he thinks it is with in reason to take Herceptin for 5 years. I don't want to get off either.

Hugs, ALice
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
Ellie F

Hi Amelia
Thanks for your reply.I did 4 rounds of AC with very little change and a 'disappointing' report from the pathologist according to my onc! He went onto only give me herceptin and in my ignorance I thought this was alright. it was only a year later when I recurred in the contra lateral axillary lymph glands did I get another opinion and several rounds of taxotere with herceptin.My onc is saying I will stay on herceptin long term in the hope of keeping it at bay but if it recurs again will add to not take away herceptin.
Cheers Ellie