HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-08-2004, 11:29 AM   #1
pattyz

I have not had 'too many to count' but I have had 16 tumors treated in five seperate procedures over the past 19 months.

With your larger lesions, I think it entirely possible that after your WBR you could have one of a number of different types of focalized radiation to address them directly. The Gamma Knife, Stereotactic Radiosurgery, Fractionated Stereotactic or CyberKnife.

Let me say, I know what it's like reading the median survival stats on brain mets. Horrifying. But I really think these are older accounts that have not been updated. I do. And any doc who 'gives up' on you with a brain mets dx is not worth spit.

I am also on an oral chemo Temodar. It was originally used in primary brain cancer, but has shown some small response in brain mets. Side effects are very minimal and very managable, so it is worth it to me to try this road.

There has also been a few small studies showing some response to Xeloda from bc brain mets. I feel that is an option for me down the road as well. And something to discuss and think about.

I really do know how disabling this dx is at first. I have all my death and dying stuff taken care of ...did it last summer. But here I am, 19 months later, currently NED. There IS hope.

with love and hugs,
pattyz
Old 04-08-2004, 01:06 PM   #2
Lolly

Dear Barb,
I am so glad you and your husband pushed for a diagnosis. I am sorry it was brain mets, but as Patty Z, Patty D, Christine, and the others have shown, you can win the battle. It isn't easy, but the tools are there. My sister-in-law is a brain mets survivor, and is into her second year after treatment. Please just take one day at a time until you get a handle on this. And please keep us posted, we care.
Hugs, Lolly
Old 04-12-2004, 11:37 PM   #3
eleanor

You ladies are all truy an inspiration. We live in fear of this and yet here you are to prove it can be done. God bless all of you.
el