HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Keeping Your Mind Off of BC
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Keeping Your Mind Off of BC Fun things and posts that do not apply to BC

Old 09-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #101
weezie1053

Smile

My joy today was outlasting my 5-year old grandson as we walked what is known as "the loop" in my small town. It is a 3-mile area which starts and ends at the local hospital. I walked the trek with no aches and/or pains. Neuropathy remains only in the toes. Last month I had three plantar warts removed which I was told probably came from an infection brought on by the chemo. If felt so good to be able to enjoy what I use to take for granted. I have hair on my head and a bounce in my feet, and a grandson with a smile that gives me strength.

Tomorrow night I go to my second meeting of the local breast cancer support group...and I'm excited!

I am blessed, and I wish the same for you Newbies and those of you struggling with a recurrence. May God's love and the support of others continue to give us the strength to see the silver linings.

Louise
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #102
juanita

I cleaned my house this weekend. From a post on another site, making do with less, I decided a lot of this could go. And go it did. I'm also grateful that i got to talk to my 1 year old granddaughter on the phone last night. Couldn't understand what she was saying, but at least I got to hear her voice.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #103
dhealey

Happy Birthday Andi! I celebrated mine this weekend also. Feel so blessed to have been surrounded by loving family. Hope you had a great day!
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #104
rentrac

I love the idea of celebrating the joys of daily life. My joy today was cleaning out kitchen cabinets - a chore I'm never wild about. But to have the energy to actually DO IT and see oder arising out of the chaos my wonderful family invariably bestows upon the hidden depths of cabinets and refrigerator. Then my 11 year old and I went grocery shopping so we can start making care packages for her big sister who's starting her 1st year of college... and her roommate.... and her hall mates....and my "adopted" daughters who are her dear friends that have spread out for college this year. Every batch of brownies and cookies going into the boxes will be a delight. I can imagine the surprised looks as my girls open discover their packages and find unexpected goodies. One of my girls is from South Korea, so we've decided I'm her American "Mom". The joy of knowing I can give her a sense of family life when she visits, especially since she's so far from home makes cleaning those cabinets and baking her goody box a real delight.
Thanks for letting me share.
Warmly, Linda
Oct. 2003: Dx age 48, Stage IIIA Ductal Ca. dense dose neoadjuvent AC. BrCa 1&2 -, ER+, PR-, Her2+. 2004: R mastectomy, 3+ nodes, dense doseTaxotere ( allergic), total hysterectomy, radiationx36 . Tamoxifen x6 mo., Arimidex x9 mo. Jan. '06: Multi left metastatic nodes left neck. Stage IV. Taxol, Carboplatin (allergic to both), Herceptin, radiationx27. Herceptin cont'd. 1 mediastinal met in old rad field. April: 2 brain mets - Rcerebellar, Ltemporal lobe. Gammaknife. Stop Herceptin, Start Tykerb. May: CyberKnife-mediastinal node, Zometa restart. July: New RLung mets. Xeloda add. Jan. 2008: CT: Lung mets shrinking. Fatty liver w/increased liver function panel. Feb '08: MRI: brain mets back, 2nd GammaKnife. June: Migraine headaches from cerebellar tumor. Team for WBR - Choose Craniotomy on Cerebellum only. Aug: Crainiotomy successful. Sept: PET -right lung apex clean; left internal mammary artery appears malignant. Herceptin in future. Left mastectomy?
rentrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #105
BonnieR

Rentrac, what a wonderful thing you are doing! Love in every morsel!!
I saw a joyous film today. "Gypsy Caravan" about gypsy musicians from 4 different countries traveling to the US to perform together. I loved seeing them in their native lands too. The music was so full of joy. Sometimes pain. But always heartfelt....

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:46 PM   #106
Jean

Just returned from a shore vacation...

and as I walked on the beach in the sunshine or at night in the moonlight
I felt great joy and happiness. Last summer was difficult as I was having
chemo and my husband and son were so concerned about me. Last summer I was dragging through and making the best of it. What a difference this summer....how joyfull I am and how deeply I appreciate all the beauty that is around me. The joy of running into the ocean and feeling the waves hitting me. Prior to chemo I would walk into the ocean
and move slow depending on the temperature. Now I just run in and enjoy it. I used to look for the perfect shells on the beach. Now I find joy in picking up odd shapes - even broken shells. We collected a batch of shells to take back to the house to paint designs on them. One oblong
ribbled shaped shell was transformed into a shark, another which was broken was to become a crab the broken section making perfect
claws. I was just bursting with joy as my husband, son and his girlfriend
also sat with me and we all painted on the odd shaped shells. What a great collection, as the shells were outside drying on the deck neighboring
kids passing began looking at them and it gave us additional joy to share some of them with the children. As I walked on the shore I thought of my Her2 sisters and said a prayer for all to have joy and peace also.

Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:38 AM   #107
madubois63

The past few days of Joy - a belated birthday party at my sister's house in Connecticut (my 2 year old nephews were sick last weekend). We took the ferry over, and the weather was just beautiful. My family and friends surrounded me and sang, and I just let the waterworks flood. I got lot's of gift cards to buy new clothes in my new size!! And the chocolate layered cake was AMAZING. I savoured every bite.
Monday sales at the stores!! I did good and still have some more money left on my gift certificates!!! Yeah!!! I made tomato sauce for the winter. Bought $30 worth of tomatoes at the farm stand and the house smells soooo good. I also made fresh salsa for Taco/fajita night...need I say anything more - YUM.
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #108
BonnieR

Jean, you really reminded me of a goal I have set for myself. In my life I had spent so much time on the Jersey shore. Now I find myself CRAVING it like never before. The feel of the water, the sound and smell, the food. So, your post took me back a little and gave me hope that this time next year I too will be visiting the shore again. I can already feel the joy!

Post menopause
Sentinel Node Neg
Aromasin started 5/10
Old 09-04-2007, 10:01 AM   #109
hutchibk

Joy today was a total stranger over the internet helping me locate a discontinued door to an IKEA enterainment center... what a sweetheart! We thought we were out of luck, and voila- it showed up via fed-ex today. Yippee!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #110
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation Happy Bday And A Hundred Thanks...!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEBBIE! A fellow Virgo. And a Sister in Life! Two peas in a pod. Yes, thank you, I had a great 2 days of celebrating, getting calls one after the other from my most beloved family and friends. How great to be remembered. Hope your day or days were full of joy!

And it was a true joy to receive good wishes and a little special attention from all you wonderful ladies, my HER2 buddies. No one can understand like you gals. And you have the BEST energy, great wisdom and generous hearts. I love you all and deeply appreciate you -- each and every one of you -- every day, but especially am grateful for your good wishes.

A great thing I have learned on this journey -- WHOEVER WANTS IT AND FEELS THEY NEED IT THE MOST, AND HOLDS ON TO *I CAN DO THIS*, *I WILL DO THIS*, I HAVE TO DO THIS* -- all the while pushing away all the doubt, pain and haunting thoughts that naturally occur -- WINS! Yes, it's a full time job. A 24/7 job staying alive, surviving and thriving. It doesn't come easily to be sure. Some days we must take baby steps, not just one day at a time, but one hour at a time, making micro goals for ourselves. But in the end we feel more joyful than we ever did before. Because we appreciate every little thing. We cherish each special relationship. We KNOW how truly blessed we are to be alive. Wishing NED for all you beautiful, wonderful women, along with serenity and LOVE...
Andi

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #111
Jean

Bonnie,
My wish for you is to make foot prints on the Jersey Shore....
The shore is calling your name...

Wishing you all the best during your treatments. Hang in there
before you know they will be behind you.

Sending you hugs,
Jean
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
9/06 Completed chemo
Old 09-04-2007, 07:53 PM   #112
Jean

Thumbs up Oh Yes...come on over...

Bonnie,
My wish for you is to make foot prints on the Jersey Shore....
The shore is calling your name...

Wishing you all the best during your treatments. Hang in there
before you know they will be behind you.

Sending you hugs,
Jean
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
9/06 Completed chemo
Old 09-08-2007, 09:51 PM   #113
madubois63

My total joy today was a trip in to Manhattan with my girlfriend Linda. She is a five time cancer survivor (uterine and stomach). we had a carriage ride through Central Park, went to the zoo, saw a wedding at St. Patrick's Cathedral, went to a street fair that was at least a mile long, stolled and ate in Greenich Village and best of all shopped at Jimmy Choo's. Linda has money and loves to spend it. She insisted on buying me a pair of shoes. I actually now own a pair of the most amazing shoes ever. I could pay most of my monthly bills for what they cost. I protested for about a half hour as the shoes were on my feet. I know her well enough to know that I was getting the shoes whether I picked them out or not...so I picked the most pratical pair with a lower heal and in black because they go with everything. I know this is not the place to joke like this, but I want to be buried in these shoes! I am sleeping in them tonight! I feel absolutely guilty about accepting them, but secretly I am in my glory. Now mind you, I walked in to the store in my walmart platform shoes and holding my Target pocketbook...LOL! Linda, on the other hand, looks and dresses like a Barbie doll. She only wears high heals. She bought the MOST AMAZINGLY SEXY shoes I have ever seen. Her shoes cost about $100 more than mine...
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #114
BonnieR

Madubois, I loved your story. Funny, I just heard from a friend who was feeling guilty about buying some shoes. And I will tell you what I told her. "Wear the hell out of them!" No saving them for special occassions. Everyday is special. And don't feel guilty for a minute!

Post menopause
Sentinel Node Neg
Aromasin started 5/10
Old 09-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #115
rentrac

Talking Life is to be LIVED

Life is far too important to be lived seriously! Besides, what part of your poor body tends to be overlooked the most in carrying us through our fights? Poor overlooked feet. They walk the walk, carry the loads, stub their toes and fussed at if they hurt. Luxuriate in their new found shoes and enjoy every second of those shoes! Your feet deserve it... and so does the rest of you. Besides, I suspect your friend is enjoying your delight as much as you!
Warmly, (and wishing for a pair of Jimmy Choos myself!),
Rentrac
Oct. 2003: Dx age 48, Stage IIIA Ductal Ca. dense dose neoadjuvent AC. BrCa 1&2 -, ER+, PR-, Her2+. 2004: R mastectomy, 3+ nodes, dense doseTaxotere ( allergic), total hysterectomy, radiationx36 . Tamoxifen x6 mo., Arimidex x9 mo. Jan. '06: Multi left metastatic nodes left neck. Stage IV. Taxol, Carboplatin (allergic to both), Herceptin, radiationx27. Herceptin cont'd. 1 mediastinal met in old rad field. April: 2 brain mets - Rcerebellar, Ltemporal lobe. Gammaknife. Stop Herceptin, Start Tykerb. May: CyberKnife-mediastinal node, Zometa restart. July: New RLung mets. Xeloda add. Jan. 2008: CT: Lung mets shrinking. Fatty liver w/increased liver function panel. Feb '08: MRI: brain mets back, 2nd GammaKnife. June: Migraine headaches from cerebellar tumor. Team for WBR - Choose Craniotomy on Cerebellum only. Aug: Crainiotomy successful. Sept: PET -right lung apex clean; left internal mammary artery appears malignant. Herceptin in future. Left mastectomy?
rentrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:05 AM   #116
PinkGirl

Smile new shoes

My joy is similar to Madame Dubois's only mine cost $3.00 !!! I found them at a yard sale on Saturday morning. They are a brand new pair of purple Adidas,
very comfy, with a gel heel, and my orthotics fit inside. Purple is my favourite colour (not pink) !!!

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #117
sassy

Brenda,

Thanks for starting this thread. I look forward to reading it each day and sharing everyone's joy. So glad to concentrate on the positive!

My "joy" today is being here to read this thread!
________
Marijuana card

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 09:30 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #118
MCS

I found JOY in my daughter liked her training in social work today-she's doing graduate work. I thought two years ago I would not see her graduate from college. Hope to see her get her masters.I also saw JOY in my other daughter, also in college is in student government and has her first interview with a " grown up" to discuss bus routes in campus

Smiling now

Maria (mcs)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #119
Emelie

Talking Going to Italy!

What a joy for me. We were supposed to go to Europe last Fall and then I was diagnosed with bc. It has been so busy with the move, the new house, hubby's new job that I just put our dream on the back burner. Well, I am here to say the God works in strange ways. It looks like we will be in Florence for about 2 1/2 weeks in Oct. with his new job. Of course it doesn't hurt that they will be paying for the rental car, hotel, his meals and airfare. See how much money we saved by me getting bc? (Hard way to do it).
Will have to take my lap top so I can stay in touch and see how everyone is doing.
Joy for now,
Emelie
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:12 AM   #120
Vi Schorpp

Emelie

Great news on going to Florence...I was there a few years ago and it's so beautiful...your trip/life just turned out the way it was supposed to...have fun. The joy for me today would be remembering my trip to Italy, and all the beautiful sights and people I met. My sister and I saw Rome (Sistine Chapel was truly one of those moments), Venice, the Italian Lakes, and so much more. I think I could go to Italy 50 times and never get enough. I love the people and all the amazing history. This is the same sister that I went to Australia and the U.K. with...she loves to travel and I love sharing time with her since she lives in Florida and I don't get to see her as much as I would if she lived in Ohio.
Vi Schorpp is offline   Reply With Quote