HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Breast Cancer News
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
Jackie07

Neuropathy prevention

Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2013 Oct 17. [Epub ahead of print]
Risk of docetaxel-induced peripheral neuropathy among 1,725 Danish patients with early stage breast cancer.
Eckhoff L, Knoop AS, Jensen MB, Ejlertsen B, Ewertz M.
Source
Department of Oncology, Odense University Hospital, Sdr. Boulevard 29, 5000, Odense, Denmark, lise.eckhoff@rsyd.dk.
Abstract
Docetaxel-induced peripheral neuropathy (PN) can lead to sub-optimal treatment in women with early breast cancer. Here, we compare the frequency of dose reduction as a result of PN in two different adjuvant regimens. From the Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group READ trial we included 1,725 patients with early stage breast cancer who randomly were assigned to three cycles of epirubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by three cycles docetaxel (D100) or six cycles of cyclophosphamide and docetaxel (D75). Eligible patients completed chemotherapy, received docetaxel, and provided information on patient-reported outcome (secondary outcome of trial) including PN. Associations between PN and risk factors were analyzed by multivariate logistic regression. Overall 597 patients (34 %) reported PN, grades 2-4, during treatment, 194 (11 %) after the first cycle [early onset peripheral neuropathy (EPN)] and 403 (23 %) after subsequent cycles [later-onset peripheral neuropathy (LPN)]. The odds ratio (OR) of EPN was significantly increased for the D100 regimen (OR 3.10; 95 % CI 2.18-4.42) while this regimen was associated with reduced OR of LPN (OR 0.69; 95 % CI 0.54-0.88). Patients with PN received significantly lower cumulative doses of docetaxel than patients with no PN. Explorative analysis showed that OR of PN was significantly reduced if patients wore frozen gloves and socks during treatment (OR 0.56; 95 % CI 0.38-0.81) in the EPN group. Patients developing PN after the first cycle are less likely to receive docetaxel at the planned dose intensity and usage of frozen gloves and socks may modify the risk.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
Jackie07

Re: Neuropathy prevention

Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2014 Jan 1;71(1):19-25. doi: 10.2146/ajhp130126.
Prevention and treatment of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy.
Piccolo J, Kolesar JM.
Author information
Abstract
PURPOSE:
The prevention and treatment of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy (CIPN) are reviewed.
SUMMARY:
A number of agents, including amifostine, glutathione, and vitamin E, were evaluated as prevention strategies for CIPN, with no agent demonstrating efficacy. Calcium and magnesium are effective for the prevention of CIPN; however, concerns regarding reduced chemotherapy efficacy linger. Venlafaxine, a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI), was evaluated for the prevention of neuropathy in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled Phase III trial of patients receiving an oxaliplatin-based regimens every two weeks and demonstrated significantly less acute neurotoxicity compared with the control group. Treatment options for CIPN include reducing the dosage of the chemotherapy, changing the chemotherapy, and treating CIPN with adjunct therapy. Adjunct therapy with topical agents, tricyclic antidepressants, and anticonvulsants, such as pregabalin and gabapentin, have shown limited efficacy. However, a randomized, double-blind, crossover, Phase III trial of duloxetine versus placebo for the treatment of CIPN caused by paclitaxel or oxaliplatin found that patients treated with duloxetine 60 mg daily had a larger average decrease in pain score than those receiving placebo, regardless of the chemotherapy used.
CONCLUSION:
Calcium and magnesium infusions and venlafaxine are effective in preventing CIPN but are not routinely used because of concerns related to decreased chemotherapy efficacy. Adjunct treatment options for CIPN include a topical analgesic, a tricyclic antidepressant, an anticonvulsant, or an SNRI. Duloxetine is more effective than placebo in treating oxaliplatin- or paclitaxel-induced CIPN, is well tolerated, and should be considered to be a first-line treatment option for CIPN.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
Ais4Abbott

CIPN treatment for cramping, twisting, spasming, pins & needle feet - a funny little thing called a Toekini - at CVS pharmacy for $10 for a pair. This is like a bikini for the toe pads, with a leather binding on the bottom. This funny little thing has completely stopped my horrible pain and spasms in my feet during the night. I only wear them in bed. They hurt the most when they are up, until I put these little guys on. No pain medicine works like these things.
Mastectomy
Tram Flap - 1) wish I could delete that.
2)Interested if anyone did this, and then got implants. 3)Ruined stomach muscle. (Appreciate info about fixing this).
Recommend New Orleans instead of MD Anderson for all surgery.
12/17/2010 TCH 6x/3wks Herceptin 3/wks til 11/17/11.
12/23/2010 Lost Hair - 10/5/2011 Wig free - 4/14/2013 Long Hair again.
Severe nail detachment-(Past) 10/2011 - toenails still trying to grow back. 4/14/2013 - Normal toenails & fingernails.
Severe neuropathy (upper thighs/upper arms) - taser sensation - (in the past), light touch finger or toes = burning. Sock free (still). Can bend knees and ankles, now. Dr. stopped Docetaxel after 5th, due to possible permanent nerve damage. (now in hands/fingers, feet/toes - pain, interested in help). 4/14/2013 - Neuropathy much less. Nerve damage is permanent in fingers & toes, hands & feet. Toekini ($10) from CVS pharmacy works great for my CIPN - feet at night. Nothing can touch my toes without burning me. I can not braid hair - fingertips do not work right.
Severe constipation - (made worse by drinking small swallow of water with Senecot instead of a full glass of water - caused concrete type blockage of bowels - drink lots of water with it!)-(Past)
Severe Reflux - (great medicine available for this) - Carafate (past)
4/14/2013 Much happier now. Smiling a lot. Started working in the yard again, but must wear toeless sandals. Blessed. Best wishes & Blessings to you all. Has anyone had success with Rick Simpson Oil in curing HER2? Very interested in hearing details. I live in Texas and do not know anyone that has tried it. We can not use it here.
Ais4Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:48 AM   #4
Ais4Abbott

Dr. Donald Abrams and Dr. Manuel Guzman (Spain) authored Cannabis in Cancer Care published in CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY & THERAPEUTICS, Volume 97 Number 6 on June 2015. Dr. Donald Abrams (Chief of Oncology and Hematology at San Francisco General Hospital) and well known for his Vimeo and YouTube videos in explaining how cannabis can kill cancer, still writes in his article - Despite these impressive in vitro and animal model findings regarding the potential antitumor effects of cannabinoids, there is still no solid basis for ongoing claims by proponents of highly concentrated cannabis extracts or oils that these preparations can “cure cancer.”
Neuropathic pain is a troubling symptom in cancer patients, especially those treated with platinum-based chemotherapy or taxanes.
In an animal model of paclitaxel-induced neuropathic pain, chronic administration of the nonpsychoactive cannabinoid CBD prevented the onset of chemotherapy-induced neurotoxicity in mice. The investigators suggested that adjunct treatment with CBD during taxane chemotherapy may be safe and effective in the prevention or attenuation of chemotherapy-induced neuropathic pain, although human studies are certainly required. - End of quotes
Note: I recently heard that human studies (of some sort of cannabis concurrent with chemotherapy) started in the USA within the past month.
Mastectomy
Tram Flap - 1) wish I could delete that.
2)Interested if anyone did this, and then got implants. 3)Ruined stomach muscle. (Appreciate info about fixing this).
Recommend New Orleans instead of MD Anderson for all surgery.
12/17/2010 TCH 6x/3wks Herceptin 3/wks til 11/17/11.
12/23/2010 Lost Hair - 10/5/2011 Wig free - 4/14/2013 Long Hair again.
Severe nail detachment-(Past) 10/2011 - toenails still trying to grow back. 4/14/2013 - Normal toenails & fingernails.
Severe neuropathy (upper thighs/upper arms) - taser sensation - (in the past), light touch finger or toes = burning. Sock free (still). Can bend knees and ankles, now. Dr. stopped Docetaxel after 5th, due to possible permanent nerve damage. (now in hands/fingers, feet/toes - pain, interested in help). 4/14/2013 - Neuropathy much less. Nerve damage is permanent in fingers & toes, hands & feet. Toekini ($10) from CVS pharmacy works great for my CIPN - feet at night. Nothing can touch my toes without burning me. I can not braid hair - fingertips do not work right.
Severe constipation - (made worse by drinking small swallow of water with Senecot instead of a full glass of water - caused concrete type blockage of bowels - drink lots of water with it!)-(Past)
Severe Reflux - (great medicine available for this) - Carafate (past)
4/14/2013 Much happier now. Smiling a lot. Started working in the yard again, but must wear toeless sandals. Blessed. Best wishes & Blessings to you all. Has anyone had success with Rick Simpson Oil in curing HER2? Very interested in hearing details. I live in Texas and do not know anyone that has tried it. We can not use it here.
Ais4Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote