HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #21
StephN

Re: Breast cancer treatment, novel H1N1 2009 pandemic, and risk

Hey Vickie - Great to "see" you!

I went over this very question with my onc's nurse practitioner last week. She says they are going case by case with their patients.

In my case I am recommended to get the seasonal shot, and perhaps the H1N1 if there is enough to go around after the most vulnerable people have the vaccine. (Thus I am put down the list, also since I have no other underlying weakening condition.)

Having been out of immuno-compromising treatment for a few years now, they say my blood work has shown consistently that I have recovered from the hard treatments I had. Also, the fact that I have had very little in the way of colds and flu since that time, shows that I can exist in the "normal microbe environment" and hold my own.

My plan is to take the precautions I normally take, keeping away from people who cough, sneeze or even SOUND like they could be sick. Use antibacterial wipes on places my hands touch, including door knobs, steering wheel, faucets, etc. This may not get the H1N1, but cut the risk of the other bugs that will latch on to a flu-weakened system.

I use a lot of salt water to gargle and saline to clean my nostrils. Drink hot tea before bed.

Guess it will be December before my next doctor visits and either my GP or onc may have me get the H1N1 shot then.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #22
Lien

Here in the Netherlands up to last week only people with underlying diseases died from H1N1. This last week a 14 yr old girl from our city died. No underlying disease. It scared us a lot. I have 4 kids, a 9 year old with a history of lung problems, a 14 yr old with allergies, an 18 yr old and a 22 yr old. I worry more about them. It seems that kids are more vulnerable. But then I haven't had chemo.

Just talked to a friend who's son has asthma and the girl that died was from his school.
He got his shot today. I'm still on the fence. We don't know anything about this vaccine; there could be side effects. It was made in a hurry and that worries me. On the other hand, H1N1 could kill too. It's difficult.

I think if I were in active treatment I'd go and get the shot.

Love

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #23
Rich66

I read somehwere that higher age usually means less response to vaccinations in general. That combined with active treatment may explain why mom's not getting either shot. (Just had to postpone Navelbine to week 3 due to low wbc.)

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #24
Brenda_D

I asked my onc about the h1n1 shot and she was pretty middle of the road about whether I should get it or not.
I saw my GP today and she asked me if I was getting it. I asked her if she thought I should get it and she said "I think you should".
The health dept was giving the shots today over a 2 hour period, for the special categories people, and I missed it because I was at the doctors. Now I'll have to wait.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #25
Vic

Hi Steph and the others who weighed in on this. It's nice to consider these comments and as it stands right now, I've had my regular flu shot and am not inclined to have the H1N1 at this point. I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for next week, but had to cancel as we're flying back to Wisc. for my husband's mother's funeral. They won't reschedule an appointment for me until they are sure there's enough of the vaccine available.

Maybe the decision has been made for me, or at least it made my decision a bit easier. So, I've been washing my hands frequently and using hand sanitizer. Who knows, maybe I'll wear a mask again when I'm on the plane, like I did when I was in treatment. But, like you, Steph, having been out of treatment for a few years, I'm not as gung-ho to get the shot. Steph, do you use a "buffered" salt up your nose with a netipot or what's your process? In the shower? I did a have a head cold which took a couple of weeks to clear up, but it wasn't bad, just congestion and not feeling as perky as I usually do. But, I'm better now and have been supplementing my immune system by chewing a few Esberitox tablets (from health food store).

Thanks everyone for your input and I'll keep checking this for updates from you fab women. I'm in Vegas right now and using a computer in the lobby of the hotel, so I'd better go wash my hands and sanitize them right now. If anyone watches "GLEE," I feel like the high school counselor on that show, a regular clean freak when it comes to germs. ;-)

Vicki
Paget's of the nipple, Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma and DCIS of the rt breast
Bloom-Richardson score 8/9, P53+ 60-70%, Ki-67+ 30-40%
Skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate lat-flap reconstruction and saline implants, 1/04
Chemo: FAC, five sessions every three weeks Feb.-May 04, then switched to HTC weekly for 12 weeks, June-Aug 04
Zometa every 6 months for osteopenia, started April 09
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote