HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-21-2005, 01:29 AM   #1
Lyn

Well I think I will make the Guiness Book of Records yet. Saw onc to day with mammo and ultra sound but when he looked at my remaining breast he said he didn't need to see them, instead I need a biopsy, I said of what and he said the rash, 6 months previous I had a biopsy of the nipple and it was clear, I asked if he suspected Inflammatory Breast Cancer and he told me it does not necessarily have lumps or bumps. So I am still off on my cruise tomorrow and having biopsy on Monday when I get back wouldn't it be nice to come back after a relaxing week to find out it was an alergic reaction to life. Apparently first line of treatment is chemo, derrrr, I just came off 6 months weeklly Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin only 2 months ago and been having double Herceptin every 2 weeks with Aromasin, then the next step is modified radical mastectomy, I already have an appointement next month for reconstruciton of the left and reduction of the right, so in the big sheme of things this must have happened for a reason. Having read Maryanne's story made me relax and appreciate I can have this week.

Bon Voyage I am going on the Illfated Pacific Sky along the coast of Queensland, so keep an eye out on the news, so far first trip out had engine troubles and turned back and refuned fares and gave discount for next trip out, next trip out propellar failures due to jelly fish and delayed trip, and New Year's eve trip passenger was drunk and jumped over board never to be seen again. Hence I have instructions not to jump overboard as tempting as it is but I intend to die of old age in my sleep.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Old 01-21-2005, 10:37 AM   #2
StephN

Dear Lyn -
No ONE deserves this little cruise break than you do after the year you have endured!

I think all this rash stuff is just a way to insure that you can proceed with your planned next steps with a settled mind and confidence.

Ppersonally, I have heard of very few woman who came up with a second primary - and NONE was Inflammatory.

Wave at the dolphins over the rail for me!
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
Lolly

Well, Lyn, you do take the cake :) You sound like you are in pretty good spirits though, with your vacation coming up, and you'll come back tanned, rested and READY! Don't know if you remember, but at my first recurrence I too had a suspicious rash which was kind of lumpy and weepy, and slightly itchy, although over my collarbone not on the breast. It was taken off and biopsied, and was a return of the original cancer in the SKIN'S lymphatic system. I asked if it waspossible it was Inflammatory BC, and my surgeon was emphatic that it was not, so hang in there friend, no sense worrying about it until you return....oh right, I'm talking to LYN, who is a guide for us all on how to never let the demons get you down! Go have fun in the sun girl, and we'll see you when you get back.

Love, Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
madubois63

First off - Have a great time on your cruise, and have one for all of us. Something PINK with a little umbrella. Second - put your mind at ease (I know that's hard to do, but it will not change anything to worry). IBC in the second breast is so rare you would have had to have won the lottery twice by now. I have been holding (cyber) hands with someone who has had a pink, warm rash nearly six months after radiation. She was sure it was IBC. Thank God it was an infection, and the antibiotics are clearing it up. I have also heard from a lot of women that have had cellulitis. I think they use athletes foot cream to clear it up. Here's some info I found:

Cellulitis is a potentially serious bacterial infection of the skin and underlying tissues. It's not contagious, which means it isn't spread directly from one individual to another. But the bacteria that causes it can be transferred by direct contact with an open sore on a person with cellulitis.

Cellulitis appears as a swollen, red area of skin that feels hot and tender. It occurs when bacteria enter the body through a break in the skin, such as a cut, scratch or insect bite. The bacteria that most often cause cellulitis are streptococcus and staphylococcus. These types of bacteria are also present on healthy skin.

Cellulitis may spread rapidly. If severe, or if left untreated, it can spread into the lymph nodes and bloodstream. Factors that put you at increased risk of cellulitis include:

Chronic skin conditions that create breaks or cracks in the skin, such as eczema
Diabetes
A weakened immune system
Chronic swelling of your arms and legs (lymphedema)
A previous episode of cellulitis

Good luck - your in my prayers for one silly rash. Remember me while your soaking up the sun. I will be digging out of a foot of snow epected for the weekend....