HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
Lani

truly exciting her2 bc research finding--still in micem but hopeful!!!

1: Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 Oct 6. [Epub ahead of print]

Antibodies targeted to TRAIL receptor-2 and ErbB-2 synergize in vivo and induce an antitumor immune response.

Stagg J, Sharkey J, Pommey S, Young R, Takeda K, Yagita H, Johnstone RW, Smyth MJ.
Cancer Immunology Program, Sir Donald and Lady Trescowthick Laboratories, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, East Melbourne 3002, Australia;
Despite the development of human epidermal growth factor receptor-2 (ErbB-2/HER2)-targeted therapies, there remains an unmet medical need for breast cancer patients with ErbB-2 overexpression. We investigated the therapeutic activity of an agonist mAb to mouse tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) receptor-2 (DR5) against ErbB2-driven breast cancer. Established tumors in BALB/c transgenic mice expressing a constitutively active ErbB-2/neuT were treated with anti-DR5 mAb and/or anti-ErbB-2 mAb and monitored for tumor progression. Treatment with anti-DR5 or anti-ErbB2 mAb as single agents significantly delayed tumor growth, although all tumors eventually progressed. Remarkably, treatment with a combination of anti-DR5 and anti-ErbB-2 mAbs induced complete response in a majority of mice. In vivo blockade of CD11b(+) cells, but not natural killer cell depletion, significantly abrogated the early antitumor response. Notably, depletion of CD8(+) T cells provoked primary and secondary tumor relapse, revealing the induction of antitumor immunity by the combination treatment. Combined therapy with anti-DR5 and anti-ErbB-2 mAbs further significantly suppressed the growth of advanced spontaneous tumors in ErbB-2/neuT transgenic mice, even when treatment was delayed until tumors were palpable. We thus demonstrated that the combination of anti-DR5 and anti-ErbB2 mAbs might be an effective form of treatment for ErbB-2-overexpressing breast cancer.
PMID: 18838682 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Lani

Ps

an antibody against TRAIL ligand (RANKl) is nearing FDA approval...have no idea if TRAIL receptor 2 mAbs are being tested/used. Will research...
Old 10-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Lani

at least two companies seem to be in trials with a mAb vs TRAIL receptor 2

one is AMGEN who make denosumab, mAb vs RANKL, who have 5 active trials

A Phase 1b/2 Study of AMG 655 in Combination With Paclitaxel and Carboplatin for the First-Line Treatment of Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer

Phase II, Phase I

NCT00534027

Phase 1b/2 Study of AMG 655 With mFOLFOX6 and Bevacizumab for First-Line Metastatic Colorectal Cancer

Phase II, Phase I

Active

18 and over

NCT00625651

Phase 1b/2 Study of AMG 655 With Doxorubicin for the First-Line Treatment of Unresectable Soft Tissue Sarcoma

Phase II, Phase I

Pharmaceutical / Industry

NCT00626704

A Study of AMG 655 or AMG 479 in Combination With Gemcitabine for Treatment of Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer

Phase II, Phase I

NCT00630552

AMG 655/Panitumumab Combination Metastatic Colorectal Cancer Study
Old 10-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Lani

from 2007:

Clinical Experience with Agonistic Death-Receptor Monoclonal Antibodies

Presently there are several agonistic monoclonal antibodies against DR4 and DR5; our humanized antibody against DR5 (CS-1008), the Human Genome Science (HGS) fully human antibodies (HGS-ETR1 anti-DR4, HGS-ETR2 and HGS-TR2J anti-DR5), the Genentech Apomab fully human anti-DR5 antibody,[18] the Amgen AMG 655[19] and Novartis LBY135[20] anti-DR5 antibodies. The results of a Phase I trial of mapatumumab (HGS-ETR-1) have been reported. This dose-escalation trial utilized doses of 0.01–10 mg/kg intravenously and 10 mg/kg every 2 weeks, which was safely tolerated in 11 patients with a plasma half-life of 18.8 days. Preliminary reports of Phase I trials of anti-DR5 monoclonal antibodies in patients with advanced metastatic cancer have been reported.[6,18] These trials have demonstrated that these agents are well-tolerated, have attractive pharmacokinetics with plasma half-life of less than 12 days and limited single agent antitumor efficacy with prolonged stable disease as the best antitumor effect. A Phase II trial of mapatumumab in patients with advanced non-Hodgkin's lymphoma has recently reported objective response in three out of 40 patients (8%), all of whom had follicular lymphoma.[21] A Phase I trial of this agent in combination with gemcitabine and cisplatin was reported as safe with further Phase II trials warranted.[22] Thus, humanized and human monoclonal antibodies to DR4 and -5 are rapidly being developed with future efficacy trials of these agents in combination with chemotherapy underway
Old 10-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
hutchibk

I don't understand any of it, Lani... but I will take you at your word that this is exciting!!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
eric

Same here. Lani, it's rare that I see you this excited. That makes it exciting for me.

Eric
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Chelee

Joe, If you read this...here is a good example of where we could use someone to interpret/translate article's like this one. If Lani said this is exciting...it has to be!

(So this falls under your thread titled, "New idea's needed") Just an extra reminder and example at the same time.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
caya

I'm with the rest of the group - no capish any of it - but if Lani is excited - me too!!

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #9
Patb

Same here, but great
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #10
juanita

if i understood it i'm sure it would be great news.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #11
jones7676

Location: I live in Christmas, MI - located on the shores of Lake Superior.
I understood most of it-looked up a few things...hooray! It just might be the "switch" that many people need. I hope the trials are highly successful.
Thanks Lani

10/03 Radical Mastectomy 3 cm tumor - 1/17 Nodes Stage II B, Her 2 +++ ER-/PR- 11/03 4 AC 4 Taxol 12/05 Stage IV - Lung met , Bone mets - Carbo, Taxotere, Herceptin 9/06 - 2 cm brain tumor 10/06 - Tumor removal surgery - Herceptin Halted 12/06 gamma knife tumor base.1/07 Navelbine/Herceptin 4/07 Rads to R femur 5/07 Stereotactic - new 2 cm brain tumor 4/07 Start Xeloda 5/07 Tykerb added 7/07 Brain MRI clean 10/07 .055 cm brain met found. 12/07 Stereotactic -1 cm brain tumor Start Tykerb 11/07 Abraxane/Herceptin 5/08 Cisplatin, Gemcitabine/Herceptin 6/08 Stereotactic to 1cm 9/08 Stereotactic repeat (growth). 11/08 Pet Scan Good but new tiny met on L lung/dead Brain surgery (no cancer cells found/scar tissue) 1/09 Chemo restarted 2/09 Pet Scan Bad - R larger very active/active L active lymph nodes both sides of chest MRI- mets slight increase 2/09 Start Doxil/Tykerb Treatment
jones7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #12
Marily

Lani,
is the erb2 a subset under her2? I thought erb2 was her2? So I am confused? and how do they test if it is another part of her2 gene? and they are developing meds to go against it.. or meds if herceptin fails you go on this one? (like my building antibodies to herceptin? making a human (not mouse) agent to build in our bodies an antibody to kill the tumor or stop the over expression????
I talked to my Onc. about RANKL but she had not heard about it? I tried to tell her what i thought it ment and she said I was reading too much into this. ?
I believe my friend was just put on mapatumumab she has advanced non-Hodgkin's lymphoma ....the fact that she has not responded to anything and this is working for follicular lymphoma.She does not have follicular lymphoma but her dr called all over US and to European countries and got the information and permission to use it for her with I believe gemcitabine and cisplatin. We are all praying that she will have a positive response to this and not be so ill receiving it. She is not a breast cancer pt but I hope you will all add her to your prayers.
There is so much out there now about breakthroughs since the human genome project was completed it is so exciting.
I would like to here more from you on this and what you understand about RANKL.
PS are you all going to watch on the 18th.. 9-8 central ...lifetime chan. "Keeping hope alive" Dr Slamon says it is not going to follow the book lol but I am certainly not going to miss it. Harry Connick Jr lost his mother to cancer when he was 13.
hugs M

Last edited by Marily; 10-12-2008 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: genome
Marily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #13
Belinda

Lani - thank you

For being our eyes and ears and diligently going where some of would be totally lost, and bringing us your regular - and wonderful - dispaches from the frontiers of science. This news is exciting, it is amazing to me that it is happenning just 700kms from my home and I heard about it from the other side of the world. Thanks, Lani. Bx
  • Diagnosed 3 Jan 2007, Stage IIb, Mastectomy and axillary clearance 10 Jan 07, 6 of 19 nodes affected, multi-focal cancer, HER2 positive. Second mastectomy (prophylactic). Chemo - AC 3 months, Taxol 3 months - then radiation 5 weeks.
  • Aug 2011 - Diagnosed with Stage IV mets to lung, sternum and 12 or so thoracic nodes - Rads to Sternum, then weekly abraxane and herceptin for 12 weeks.
  • May 2012- good scans - all nodes still about normal size, hole in sternum repairing, lung tumour 'obliterated'.
    Ongoing herceptin every 3 weeks. Bloods still all good! Life good!
  • March 2013 - recurrence - tumours in lungs and mediastinum (coughing up blood) - immediate radiation treatment to right lung and mediastinum, still on Herceptin, and 3 months of Vinoralbine - stable for a little while!
  • Coughing and breathlessness started again September 2013, treated as radiation-induced fibrosis (which can be seen on scans - albeit stable). ie puffers, steroids
  • January 2014 - cough becomes bloody again, scans show big mediastinal tumour wrapped around and choking the life out of my right main bronchus, radiation deemed off limits as my lungs are hypersensitive to radiation (measured by existing damage from 2013) .....................- ie I am in the 5% of people likely to suffer severe radiation damage to the lungs that they warn you about before starting treatment! (so special! :) )
  • Started chemo Feb 2014 - continuing Herceptin (continuous since Aug 2011), with Carboplatin and Gemcitabine. Discontinued Gemcitabine because of se's. Starting cycle 5 Herc/Carbo 5 May 2014.
  • Meantime.....coughing and breathlessness increased to SCARY levels with racing heartbeat that won't slow down, breath that won't come back, even just walking to the bathroom or up 3 or 4 steps.
  • ICU from May 5 2014, collapsed right lung due to tumour, small pulmonary embolism (left), tumours growing in mediastinum left and right, dvt lower right leg
  • Plan seems to be bronchoscope next week to see if tumour can be lasered and stent inserted in right bronchus to reopen air access to lower parts of right lung. If that is successful might be able to have brachytherapy to worst tumour, otherwise no more options for external radiotherapy.
Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #14
Chelee

Ok now...for those of you that understand this...maybe you could be so nice as to shed some light on it with the rest of us that do not understand a word of it?

There are so many of us here that would certainly appreciate it. Come on propeller heads...help us out. Break this down for us and give us some idea of what this is saying?

Chelee
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:13 AM   #15
Chelee

There must be at least one person that would be so kind as to interpret this for those of us that don't understand it? (Pretty please.)

Anyone up for the challenge? I would certainly appreciate it. Seems quite a few of us our interested in what this article is saying? I'm even more curious now because even Belinda says it's exciting. Come on...someone share this news with us "non-propeller heads".

Chelee
Old 10-20-2008, 07:58 AM   #16
kk1

One of the common features of cancer cells is that they don’t die, apoptosis, at rates of normal cells. Cancer cells can be thought of as immortal. For normal non-cancerous cells TRAIL is a cytokine that binds to DR4 and DR5 receptors and forms a complex (ligand) that sends out death signals. In many cancer cells the DR4 and DR5 receptors have point mutations that prevent TRAIL from binding, thus no death signal. Scientists have been working on creating a variants of TRAIL that will bind to these mutated receptors and have hitched it to a monoclonal antibody to deliver it to the cancer cell. These variants of TRAIL bind the cancer DR5 receptor and not healthy cells receptor and result in the cell death complex to form sending out signals to the cancer cell to die. In this study they showed that combining the her2 antibody and and a DR5 antibody with the TRAIL variant resulted in a compete response in mice, while treatment with either agent alone only slowed growth. This is exciting for all types of cancer not just her2 BC.

Lani or others please correct any misstatements I might have made.
Sept 2004 NED-3 herceptin, zoladex,aromasin
Dec 2006 recurrence in liver
Feb. 2007 liver resection left lobe removed-herceptin, zoladex, switch to Arimidex
NED 16 months added zometa
May 2008 new lesion in liver 15mm Tykerb/Xeloda/Herceptin
July 2008 stable...yeah!
Sept 2008 NED again !!!
Jan 2009 fell off the wagon again spot back in the liver and fell out of menopause.
Feb 2009 RFA and 2nd liver resection to remove spot ---back on the NED wagon again continue Tykerb, Herceptin.
March 2009- oophrectomy added Femara and bi-annual Zometa
May 2009- scans clear but suspect lung nodule
June 2009- Lung VAT wedge resection to remove nodule---fungus ball not cancer!! phew
Aug 2009- NED
Nov 2009-scans again clear YAHOO!
March 2010- scans clear continue Tykerb, Herceptin, Femara, Zometa Q6mo
Nov 2009-Nov 2019 scans clear done every 6 months

Feb 2020 - Fell out of the NED wagon hard! single liver lesions and large infect cyst. 3 weeks in ICU.
March 2021- 5 cycles perjeta, herceptin, navelbine. lesion stable.
June 2021 - 3rd liver resection to remove single liver lesion. Continued perjeta, herceptin.
Nov. 2021- PET scan show 5 hot nodes near liver. 9 cycles Kadcyla
June 2021- PET scan shows progression. nodes size unchanged but even more SUV uptake.

July 2021- start ENHERTU

Last edited by kk1; 10-20-2008 at 08:30 AM..
kk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #17
Chelee

kk1, I almost missed your post. I had given up on anyone replying. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to break that down enough so that I understand it. Your a real sweetheart. Thanks a million!

Chelee
Old 10-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
eric

KK1- what a great explanation. Thank you, Eric
eric is offline   Reply With Quote