HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
nancy dip

Alcohol

I hate to moan, but one thing I really miss is alcohol!

I do the EVOO, fish oil, healthy diet thing but I really miss having a glass of wine--In fact, I do have some but feel incredibly guilty!! Wine is the only alcohol that I consume and before diagnosis, I usually drank Fri, Sat and Sun.

How many of you have given up alcohol completely and those who have not, how much do you consume in a week and how much do you feel it increases chances of a recurrence?

Cheers, Nancy
Chemo was Epirubicin every 3wks x4 then Xeloda (2wks on, 1wk off) for 4 cycles. ( I am part of the TACT2 trial.)
Rads x25
Arimidex for 5 yrs.
Hoping to start Herceptin within the next 2 weeks (we have to follow the HERA protocol to qualify for Herceptin in the U.K.) I worry about the delay in starting Herceptin!! Started 8/10/07
nancy dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Mary Jo

Smile

Hi Nancy,

During chemo and herceptin I drank no alcohol. When treatment was over I did and do drink an occasional "Miller" (I don't like wine) beer and enjoy it completely. In the summer time I will have a few a week and during the winter time not that much.

I understand that "guilt" mentality, as I think we all go through it from time to time, but I think that we have to enjoy this life we're given also. If that means sweet treats - a little alcohol or whatever - I say go for it.

Moderation is the key with everything.

Cheers back at ya sister.....

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
Kat

Smile

hI NANCY! YOUR SITUTAION SOUNDS JUST LIKE MINE IN THAT i WAS DIAGNOSED JUST 6 MONTHS AFTER HAVING A CLEAN MAMMOGRAM. I'D NEVER EVER EVEN MISSED A MAMMOGRAM, BUT IT SURE MISSED ME! MY TUMOR WAS 1.7 CM, AND A 1 CM TUMOR IN THE FIRST LYMPH NODE, BUT ALL OTHER NODES CLEAR. THANK GOD! I FINISHED ALL TREATMENT BY 12/06, AND AM STILL CANCER FREE.
I DID NOT HAVE ALCOHOL DURING TREATMENT, BUT SINCE TREATMENT I CONTINUE TO ENJOY WINE IN MODERATION...IT IS A QUALITY OF LIFE THING FOR ME TO BE ABLE TO POUR A GLASS OF WINE AND STROLL THE GARDEN W/MY HUSBAND. I TAKE FOLIC ACID WHICH I'VE READ MITIGATES THE EFFECT OF THE ALCOHOL. RIGHT OR WRONG, I TRY TO EAT ESPECIALLY WELL, EXERCISE, SLEEP, REMOVE STRESS, TAKE MY VITAMINS, TRUST IN GOD, COME WHAT MAY. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU... LIFE GOES ON.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Hopeful

Nancy,

I also enjoy wine, and it is a regular component of my diet. All of my docs (internist, onc, rads onc, surgeon) were told about it at my initial visit, and none have ever suggested a change. I did add a modest folic acid supplement to my diet after dx.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Colleens_Husband

Colleen didn't drink any alcohol since her diagnosis. Not only do you have to worry about the chemical effects of alcohol and chemotherapy but I worry about the psychological depressing effects of alcohol during a time in her life when she has every reason to be depressed anyway. I have been supporting her by not drinking myself.

There are several non-alcoholic beers that are really pretty good, including Kaliber, St Pauli's N.A., and Haake Becks. Colleen says the Kaliber is nasty with chemotherapy because she already has a metallic taste in her mouth and the Kaliber has a distinctive taste that is slightly metallic.

I would stay away from Sharps and O'Douls. They should only be used for cleaning gunk off automatic transmission parts.

There are several non-alcoholic wines, as well. Some of them are indistinguishable from real wine.

I guess the point is that you can still pamper yourself and treat yourself, while maintaining healthy practices.

Lee
Colleens_Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
Colleen007

I was diagnosed at Stage 4, so for me, it is a quality of life thing. I enjoy beer and wine on occasion (always have and have no plans to change it). As Mary Jo pointed out, just drink in moderation (and don't feel guilty about it...maybe that's why drinking is a "guilty pleasure"). Enjoy!
ER-, PR-, HER2+
Taxol/Herceptin/Zometa started Dec-2005. 11 cycles of Taxol.
Sept-2006: PET/CT scan of mets to liver, spine and femurs - Stable. Activity in R breast & mediastinum (not seen in prior scans).
Navelbine (3 wks on/1 wk off) as of Oct--2006 & continued Herceptin (every 3 wks) & Zometa (every 6 wks)
Jan-2007: PET/CT Scan - Stable. Continued Nav. through March-2007, then Herc./Zom. only after that.
June-2007: PET/CT Scan - activity in mediastinum. Back on Navelbine as of July-2007.
Scanned Quarterly since Oct-2007 - a few small scares, but otherwise stable due to continuing weekly Navelbine, Herceptin and Quarterly Zometa.
Colleen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
Patb

I will toast all of you tonight with a glass of wine. My onc. said ok and of
course in moderation. I have made so many sacrifices to this thing, I think one small wine is ok.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Ruth

I gave up drinking anything during treatment as I gave up lots of stuff...dairy, sugar etc but now....well, can't say that I have. I have an occassional glass of wine with dinner on the weekend if we go out to restaurant. I've had a daiquiri by the pool or a lemon drop (they are so yummy) when it is very hot in the summer. I think moderation is the key. A little won't hurt but a daily dose of anything alcoholic in my opinion is not good for anyone. Especially the ladies that are ER/PR+. We do give up so much already and life is for the living and enjoying!

Hugs ~ Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #9
tricia keegan

Okay I'm going to be truthful and very naughty when I say I did'nt give up wine. I drink maybe twice a week over dinner which amounts to about two bottles of wine a week. Having said that I have'nt yet given up smoking either but I really want to and will try again soon. I honestly don't worry about the amount of wine as opposed to my smoking though of doing me much harm. (I hope)! I wish I was better.....
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
mimiflower07

Location: We presently live 1 1/2 hrs fr a city. in manitoba canada
i love wonderful red wine from all the different countries and well i like to think i'm studing!! i will not give up my wine...all in moderation.

here's a crazy question why is alcohol worse for er pr ++ women, thought thats why we had tamoxifen to help?

suzanne
tumor 2.5cm multifoc
bil mast recon sept 24/07
neg snb/neg lymph vascular
clear marg
chemo a/cx 4 rds
tomoxifan started feb11/08
herceptin to begin soon
herceptin completed feb/09
aromacin(A.I)for as long as i can
mimiflower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
Vic

Wink The Alcohol Dilemma

Hello Lovely Women,

I enjoyed reading your messages, because I go through the same dilemma AFTER I have had a couple of glasses of champagne, whether it's on the weekend or with dinner twice a week. My husband is a "bubblehead" and buys it, so when I see a beautiful bottle open, it's difficult some evenings to opt for my typical Pellegrino or Pellegrino-Grape Juice mix.

So, the question always looms as to whether to drink or not and, if so, how often. I can tell you that I do pop a folic acid tablet (800 mcg.) when I do and sometimes I'll take milk thistle on occasion.

I know I need to take responsibility for myself and my health, so the decision is always mine. There are times I won't have any and then there are times when it just feels nice to enjoy a glass of wine or champagne. Still, the anxiety about drinking and alcohol and breast cancer does come up at night after I've imbibed.

Hmmm, what to do this weekend when we're in Sonoma celebrating my Dad's 80th birthday. Better pack some folic acid.

Be well and thanks for addressing this subject.

Vicki Z.
So.Cal.
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
dlaxague

new study - breast cancer/alcohol risk (not recurrence risk) linked to HRT use only?

I can't access the full text - maybe someone else can?

ABSTRACT: Interactions between intakes of alcohol and postmenopausal hormones on risk of breast cancer
[International Journal of Cancer; Subscribe; Sample]
Alcohol and postmenopausal hormone use are well-established modifiable risk factors for breast cancer. Alcohol may decrease the metabolic clearance of estradiol, whereby the risk of breast cancer associated with hormone use may depend on blood alcohol levels. The objective is to determine whether alcohol interacts with hormone use on risk of breast cancer. The 5,035 postmenopausal women who participated in the Copenhagen City Heart Study were asked about their alcohol intake and hormone use at baseline in 1981-1983 and were followed until 2002 in the Danish cancer registry, with <0.1% loss to follow-up. Proportional hazard models were used to analyze data. During follow-up, 267 women developed breast cancer. Alcohol consumption was associated with a small increased risk of breast cancer (hazard ratio = 1.11 per drink/day, 95% CI: 0.99-1.25). Women who used hormones also had a higher risk of breast cancer (HR = 2.00, 95% CI: 1.52-2.61) compared to nonhormone users. We found an interaction between these 2 factors; those who had an intake of more than 2 drinks per day and took hormones had a risk of 4.74 (95% CI: 2.61-8.59) for breast cancer compared to abstainers who did not use hormones. Alcohol was not associated with breast cancer among women who did not use hormones (HR = 0.98 per drink/day, 95% CI: 0.82-1.78). In conclusion, the interaction between alcohol and hormone use should, if confirmed in other studies, have an impact both on the prescription of hormones and on sensible drinking limits for postmenopausal women.
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #13
Becky

I drink a couple of glasses of wine on weekend nights. If I go out to dinner, I will have a cocktail too. Didn't do anything during chemo because I felt my liver was busy enough as it was but on herceptin alone, I drank.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #14
Carol Carlson

I was diagnosed in early March of '04. I did not have any alcohol after surgeries , chemo and rads. essentionally the entire year. Probably because the simple mention of alcohol turned my stomach. About 2-3 months after treatment, I had a glass of wine and it actually tasted good..
Since then I usually have a glass or 2 if we go out to dinner or if I get together with friends. I actualy asked my oncologist about it and she said I really didn't consume enough to be a concern and basically said, " The amonut of wine that you drink will not likely increase your chances of recurrace and did not seem at all concerned, and PCP is not at all concerned. So taking their lead, I do have a occasional glass or 2 of wine
on an occassional basis and don't really worry about it.
It's supposed to be so good for cardio-vascular status, depending on what article you read, I feel a little the same about breast cancer.
At age 67, I'm not going to fret about it. I'm a 4 year survivor and plan to be around a very long time . ( and I actually have a Hershey's candy bar with Almonds on occasion ) tsk. tsk
As someone postd previously, moderation is the key. AND I laugh more when I have wine which soooo healthly.
And that's my stand.
Carol
Carol Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #15
Bev

http://www.cancerpage.com/news/article.asp?id=11974
If this link takes, I think it might have more. My doc's only restrictions were not the day before or day of chemo. During chemo, alcohol wasn't terribly appetizing. It seems to me the studies aren't conclusive, so I still drink beer. I'm really guessing here, but it would seem that AI's would be more effective in mopping up excess estrogen created by alcohol consumption than tamoxifen, which would only matter if you're ER+.

I think this is another one of those you have to weigh and decide. I've decided not to let it worry me. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #16
Kim in CA

I hate to admit this, but one of the high lights of my trip to Seattle each month, for my Her2 vaccine, was a margarita at the Sea Tac airport while waiting for our flight home. They have the Best margaritas I have ever tasted!

I never drank while on chemo, and don't drink on the days I get my Herceptin, but have an occasional glass of wine or ale when it suits me.

I also most definitely have an ice cold Corona after one of my endurance rides. It is a tradition that my riding girl friends and I take pretty seriously!

Hoping I'm not sounding too much like a lush! Kim

PS I never drink and ride at the same time!

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #17
nancy dip

thanks

for all the replies. It's Saturday 5.30pm here in Glasgow and I'll raise a guilt free glass to you all tonight! (Is it a side effect of this disease to need constant reassurance?!?) Nancy
Chemo was Epirubicin every 3wks x4 then Xeloda (2wks on, 1wk off) for 4 cycles. ( I am part of the TACT2 trial.)
Rads x25
Arimidex for 5 yrs.
Hoping to start Herceptin within the next 2 weeks (we have to follow the HERA protocol to qualify for Herceptin in the U.K.) I worry about the delay in starting Herceptin!! Started 8/10/07
nancy dip is offline   Reply With Quote