HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-10-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
Lani

for Rhonda H--maybe something good can come from something bad...

research from the pesticide chemistry research department in Cairo, Egypt! (unfortunately he is not using a her2 + cell line in his studies...yet)

Bioorg Med Chem. 2006 Mar 6; [Epub ahead of print] Links

Novel synthesis of nicotinamide derivatives of cytotoxic properties.

Girgis AS, Hosni HM, Barsoum FF.

Pesticide Chemistry Department, National Research Centre, Dokki, 12622 Cairo, Egypt.

A variety of 2-substituted-4,6-diaryl-3-pyridinecarboxamides 5 were synthesized through aromatic nucleophilic substitution reaction of secondary amines with 2-bromo analogues 4. The latter were obtained via bromination of 2-cyano-3,5-diaryl-5-oxo-N-substituted pentamides 3 in glacial acetic acid. Moreover, pentamide derivatives 3 were prepared through base-catalyzed Michael addition of cyanacetanilides 2 with 1,3-diaryl-2-propen-1-ones 1. Otherwise, reaction of 2-bromo-3-pyridinecarboxamides 4 with primary aromatic amines in refluxing pyridine afforded the corresponding 2-(arylamino)-3-pyridinecarboxamides 6 besides the unexpected 2-unsubstituted amino analogues 7. Antitumor properties of the synthesized pyridinecarboxamides utilizing 59 different human tumor cell lines, representing leukemia, melanoma, and cancers of the lung, colon, brain, ovary, breast, prostate as well as kidney, were screened. Many of the tested compounds show considerable in vitro antitumor properties especially 5c and 7a, which reveal moderate activities against most of the used human tumor cell lines. It has also been achieved that, all the tested nicotinamide derivatives reveal promising antitumor properties against MDA-MB-231/ATCC (breast cancer).

PMID: 16524735 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Old 03-10-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
RhondaH

Thank you Lani!

I appreciate the information and will further investigate it.

Rhonda
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
rhondalea

Promising New Approach to Preventing Progression of Breast Cancer

I searched the site for this press release, and I found the post above instead. You were way ahead of the game, Lani.

I took nicotinamide (a/k/a niacinamide) for nearly a year several years before I was diagnosed, and then I (stupidly, in retrospect) stopped. More recently, I started taking NADH (low dose), but as soon as I read this article, I put a four months' supply straight into the trash bin. (I'm usually not such a reactionary, but it struck a nerve.) My replacement supplement (Source Naturals Coenzymated NAD) will arrive in the next few days.

Promising New Approach to Preventing Progression of Breast Cancer

The next logical step was to find a simple way to enhance the critical NAD+ level therapeutically. So the team explored what would happen if mice with breast cancer were fed water spiked with nicotinamide, a precursor for NAD+ production. The scientists found cancer development was dramatically slowed down, and the mice lived longer.

http://www.scripps.edu/news/press/20...15felding.html

I'm now off to ascertain the known pitfalls. It seems to me I remember some issues with niacin and niacinamide from the last time, but under the circumstances, I think I can live with them.

Edited to add a link to the full report:

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/64264

PDF is available.

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy

Last edited by rhondalea; 02-18-2013 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: add link to full report
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
RhondaH

Wink Re: for Rhonda H--maybe something good can come from something bad...

Rhondalea...Lani is WAY awesome!!!!

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
KDR

Re: for Rhonda H--maybe something good can come from something bad...

What is niacinamide?
We were very excited at the origins of this paper as my husband is from Egypt. Not much good going on there right now, so we were elated to see some advancement, positivity in Egyptian news. Problem is: we don't know what is all about...

Thanks, Karen
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
mamacze

Here is a bit more information about Nicotinamide from LiveStrong:

Nicotinamide is the active form of niacin; your body can supply itself with nicotinamide by synthesizing amino acids into niacin. Tryptophan, an amino acid essential for life long growth and development, is obtained from protein-containing foods like dairy or poultry. Once you eat foods with tryptophan, your body breaks the amino acid down into a protein that synthesizes niacin. The niacin then converts into nicotinamide for further use in metabolic functions. The conversion process cannot happen without adequate intake of niacin or tryptophan containing sources from food or supplements.

Food Sources
Niacin and tryptophan are prominent in animal-based foods. Chicken and turkey at 3 oz. servings supply 5.8 to 7.3 mg of niacin. Beef, salmon and tuna have 3.1 to 11.3 mg in a 3 oz. serving. Plant-based foods also supply niacin in small amounts. Pasta, cereal and nuts yield 2.3 to 7 mg of niacin per serving. Dairy foods including cheese, milk and yogurt have tryptophan, which converts to niacin.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/44...#ixzz2Lw0eYUGi

2004 - Stage 4, mets to 4 lobes of lungs and liver, lumpectomy, er/pr -, her2 neu+++, Herceptin and Navelbine then Herceptin only.

2005 - Breast Ca vaccinations with the Tumor Vaccine Group in Seattle

2011 - Still Herceptin only and NED

2011, June - STOPPED Herceptin and kicked up my heels!

2012, February - 1 small tumor came back to haunt me in my lungs - back on Herceptin only, tumor stable.

2015, November - tumor on lungs removed (Segmentectomy), back on Herceptin only
Received U of W vaccine clinical "booster" Vaccine

2022 On Herceptin and NED continues - WOOT WOOT!
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
KDR

Thanks, Kim!
I guess the bad guy here is the pesticide? I can never read these assays.
How are you doing, Angel?
Love, Karen
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
mamacze

Hey Karen! Every time I see your avatar picture I smile - I Dream of Jeannie was one of my all time favorite shows once upon a time...
The way I read it is that when they synthesized a Nicotinamide (which is also a naturally occurring active form of the "vitamin" Niacin), and and applied it to 59 plus human tumor cell lines, it achieved promising anti-tumor results.
I am doin' good - wish we were neighbors!
XO Kim

2004 - Stage 4, mets to 4 lobes of lungs and liver, lumpectomy, er/pr -, her2 neu+++, Herceptin and Navelbine then Herceptin only.

2005 - Breast Ca vaccinations with the Tumor Vaccine Group in Seattle

2011 - Still Herceptin only and NED

2011, June - STOPPED Herceptin and kicked up my heels!

2012, February - 1 small tumor came back to haunt me in my lungs - back on Herceptin only, tumor stable.

2015, November - tumor on lungs removed (Segmentectomy), back on Herceptin only
Received U of W vaccine clinical "booster" Vaccine

2022 On Herceptin and NED continues - WOOT WOOT!
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote