HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
LindaC

Location: Live in New York Monday through Thursday.Friday,Saturday,&Sunday Live in Cape May,New Jersey.
Chemo and Sun

I am having a difficult time doing my garden 20 mins.in the sun and I am sick,Is anyone else having this problem?I also find that I don't have the strenght that I used to and can't understand why I can't start my lawn mower dont have the strenght to pull the cord.In the eveninings my thighs kill me with pain no Idea whats going on.Please some advice.
This is a little update I was taken off of taxol for six weeks due to neouraphty in the feet I am going for herceptin and taxol on May 4 on may 16 a pet scan on May 17 a muga scan back to doctor on May 25
Half the foot is numb now where two weeks ago it was only toes I thought it would get better any advice anyone??to improve my toes and feet??
three tumors left breast,lymph nodes involed don't
know how many.Kidney failure postponed my surgery
which gave the doctors the opportunity to run test.
FishTest showed that I have her2 positive, mets to liver and bones.
Dx December 14,2006
one dose carboplatin
now once a week herceptin,taxol
once a month zometa
February 5,2007 pet scan showed everything good except bones
5-16-07 muga scan
5-17-07 pet scan
Everythig was clear taken off of zometa,chemo
herceptin every three weeks
LindaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
chrisy

Hi linda,

i think that staying out of the sun is specifically listed on the "fact sheet" I received for Taxol. So gardening at high noon probably is not the best idea. As for the lawn mowing - my gosh, you must be superwoman to be doing all that! I never could get the lawnmower to start! Please don't forget, the medicine you are getting is kicking butt on your cancer (yay!) and at the same time, for the taxol and carbo at least, kicking butt on the rest of your system as well. The effect of this and the related fatigue is cumulative - although you will feel better once you are off chemo for a while. Longer than 6 weeks. I was on weekly T/C/H and in the beginning I was walking 1-2 miles daily but by the end I really didn't have any interest in that at all. Be gentle with yourself as far as the fatigue goes. Do as much as you can to stay active, but not more - you want to reserve your strength to fight the cancer!

I also had some neuropathy, mine did stop at the toes but that may have been because I pounded it with all sorts of supplements (recommended by my onc) at the first sign. I can't believe I threw the list away - so many people have asked me what this was! I know I took B-complex plus extra B6 and B12, l-glutamine, alpha lipoic acid, acetyl-l carnitine, folic acid, and vitamin e (on non chemo weeks). Maybe CoQ 10. Have you asked your doctor for help on this?

In the meantime, I'll keep everything crossed that after you go through your next battery of tests you will get more good news!

Hugs,
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Jean

Linda,

How lucky you are to live half the time at beautiful Cape May!

The neuropathy should decrease and reverse in time can take months.
Chrisy is correct that Vit. B 6 complex is the source along with
Folic Acid. I took the Vit. b 6 100 complex with all the B vit.
Neuropathy has improved about 1/3...it has been 6 months, dr. told me
it will take a good 9 mo. to reverse. I also take CoQ-10 but I do not
know if that is geared for the neuropathy? I take that for my heart
since herceptin.

Wishing you the best.
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
Catherine

Hi Linda,

Your strength will eventually come back. I finished Chemo Aug 06. I am feeling stronger every month. I used to walk an hour at a time. During chemo, I was lucky to get outside and walk a block. Now I am up to about 30 minutes and sometimes stretch it to 40 minutes. I am very cautious in the sun. I tried mowing the lawn and only lasted 5 minutes. My high school helper did the rest.So take it easy and listen to your body.

My neuropathy was not fun, but it did not proceed past by hands and feet. I was not told about Vitamin B or CO q 10. What is CO q10? My hands and feet are fine now.

I still need to know a whole lot more about this disease and my body. Keep gathering information and keep the faith.

All the best, Catherine

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:36 AM   #5
LindaC

Location: Live in New York Monday through Thursday.Friday,Saturday,&Sunday Live in Cape May,New Jersey.
Good Morning Ladies,
I want to thank all of you for the info.I don't remember reading on the fact sheet about the sun,I guess I will try to adjust to the sun.I love my fishing so I will fish from under the canopy.As for my garden I guess myy husband will have to do it for me there is no shade unless I do it at night.As for vitimans my dr. don't want me on them I have to find natural things to help me.
LindaC
Dx December 14,2006
one dose carboplatin
once a month zometa
5-16-07 muga scan
5-17-07 pet scan
Old 04-29-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
harrie

I know with many medications it is advisable to stay out of the sun. My thighs were also bothering me. Even to squat down, I could feel some discomfort. I started eating more bananas and it seems to have improved.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
hutchibk

I know when I was on Herc/Taxol that my "integrative" naturopathic doc firmly suggested L-glutamine - which helps protect and restore muscular tissue and supports the immune system. I put 1 tsp (2 gms) in a small shot of juice 3 times a day. And all of the supportive things that Chrisy says can also be very helpful.

I need to get back on my "healthy support" routine ASAP. I have become very lazy. I have only been doing the glutamine 3 x a day, 3 tblsp of EVOO a day, and my cuppa apple cider tea am and pm. (hot water, 2-3 tblsp organic apple cider vinegar, 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon, and honey or stevia to sweeten).

I plan to call my integrative doc (Dr. Labriola) tomorrow AM since I am changing chemo.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
LindaC

Dear Brenda
Thanks for the Info
Dx December 14,2006
one dose carboplatin
once a month zometa
5-16-07 muga scan
5-17-07 pet scan
Old 05-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #9
Bev

Hi.

Brenda, my onc nurse recommended B6 before I started taxol and I never developed nueropathy. Could be dumb luck, but I know she wouldn't have recommended it if it interfered with T & H.

Catherine, CoQ10 stands for Co enzyme Q10. It's an antioxidant. I don't know how it works. Learned about it here. It does interfere with chemo so I would wait until you're on H only. In my case it brought up my left ventricle function above the baseline score before chemo, and even more above what it had dropped during AC.

Good luck all, Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #10
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation Nutritional Support

Dear Linda, I agree with everything that Chrisy, Jean, Catherine and Brenda have said. My onc nutritional/BC expert had me on everything during my chemo, to lessen side effects for heart, immune system, muscle pain, neuropathy, liver, etc. He feels that during chemo your body is being challenged as the drugs are hammering away at your cancer. Co Enzyme Q10 -- he had me on 200 a day, then upped it to 300. I am now on 100. GREEN TEA SHRINKS TUMORS. He wants me to keep drinking 3 cups a day. Others have mentioned this. I was buying Arizona Green Tea. Doc likes tea bags, but others take drops or capsules. He has me on a bunch of anti-cancer supplements that fight free radicals, boost energy levels and help my incessant hot flashes. He recommends high dosages, so when I read about a study that showed this or that is ineffective, I think but that's at the minimum dosage. Dx at age 50 in '95 w/invasive lobular carcinoma + 2 out of 18 nodes involved. Then dx w/multiple mets into the liver in '98 + found HER2+ 80% (that's the way the report read back in the day). I had a highly aggressive cancer and a very poor prognosis. BUT I ALSO HAD A GREAT ATTITUDE, THE LOVE OF MY HUSBAND AND TWO DAUGHTERS AND FRIENDS, MY SPIRITUAL CONNECTION, which evolved from '95 into a transforming experience. All that, plus my nutritional supplements and green tea have brought me to this day. I feed my mind thoughts full of love, compassion, generosity and gratitude for the gift of each day. I see the world so differently. Life is beautiful. No matter what I had to endure to get through a hellish experience. I have lived to see 5 grandchildren born (the oldest being 10, the youngest 10 mnths old)! I feel joyful, serene and full of LOVE.

This is precisely what I wish for all you remarkable women fighting through tough times. It is doable. You too can be a miracle. Daily meditation, weeding out the noxious thoughs and images, experiencing them (as we must) and then tossing them away like a live grenade. Nourishing your thoughts with all those positive emotions means that is what you are TRANSMITTING out into the Universe. The energy of your thoughts is sensed and responded to IN KIND by the Universe. It's a Universal Law! LIVE BY IT. WHAT YOU THINK ALL DAY WILL BECOME YOUR DESTINY!

Sending you loving, healing energy and hugs, ANDI
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #11
LindaC

Andrea,
Thank you so much for your input.I do think like you and we will all fight this monster.
LindaC
Dx December 14,2006
one dose carboplatin
once a month zometa
5-16-07 muga scan
5-17-07 pet scan