HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-05-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
mts

Red Eyes

I have been on Herceptin since June '05 and I have begun to notice that the little squiggly veins in the white part of my eyes are really red. I am sleeping OK, doing everything right, but my eyes are the first thing people see, and I am getting tired of everyone telling me I look tired -when I am actually feeling really good!
My eyes are not itchy, tearry and I don't need or wear glasses.
Anyone have this?

Maria
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
RhondaH

I've noticed the SAME thing, AND people tell me the same thing...

though I have sinus issues to and I thought it might be attributed to that. I just had a CT of my head to check for tumors, but that was ok (found a cyst in my left maxillary, but otherwise normal) AND I just had my vision checked (I never wore glasses before, but now get progressive lenses...like bifocals) oh well, a SMALL price to pay for life. Take care.

Rhonda Hoffman
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
Lani

perhaps unrelated but have your opthalmologist do a test for dry eyes

It is not widely known, but herceptin seems to have an effect on the
lacrimal glands causing them to decrease secretion.

Women tend to get dry eyes as they get older anyway, but this can come on quite suddenly after starting herceptin. With all the other aches and pains and symptoms from other medications, etc. you may not be paying a lot of attention to something as "minor" as dry eyes.

Over the counter artificial tears should do the trick.

Maybe the redness is from difficulty clearing small particles out of your eyes because of insufficient tears.

Hope this helps,
Lani
Old 01-05-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
Unregistered

I had a dry eye problem for a while in the mornings (not cancer related) and found it has virtually not bothered me since I cut my omega six oils and have taken 3 - 5 teaspoons of fish oil a day.

I have seen that omega three has many functions in respect of eye formation health etc........ so I just now looked up dry eyes and omega three on google and I should have expected it but was surprised to finds lots of links. Here are two. All of which goes to show that "common sense" observations based on one's experiences may have some foundation.

RB

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/healt...sp?index=12603

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/dryeye.htm
Old 01-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
Becky

I have exactly this and people comment to me about it. My onco gave me Panadol (antihistamine eye drops) but it doesn't work long. Oh well. Another price to pay to the chemo gods (but well worth the cost).

Warm regards,

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote