HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
Carolyns

Need some TLC

Okay friends, I cry as I type. I am a stage 4 single mom of an 8 year old boy and work full time. Sometimes I feel like I just can't keep all of the balls in the air and today is one of them...yesterday, also as a matter of fact. I went through inScanity (a couple of weeks ago) and results were better than expected...so far. Brain MRI (clear),Cervical Spine MRI fine, CT and Bone scans fine. Perhaps some increased activity at T2 (shown on top of Cervical Spine MRI) still waiting to have Thoracic and Lumbar MRIs (scheduled for next week). Liver continues to improve.

What's wrong? Well I have this new little pea size lump just at the bottom of my port incision. Just came up. My CA 15-3 was 200 when we started and went down as low as 12 with Gemzar. Well in the last 3-months it has gone from 20 to 40 to 38 and now 50. That and the little lump on my neck is scaring the sh*&%t out of me. My doctor felt the little lump and said it is not a node. She doesn't know what it is and it is so tiny that she doesn't think it will show on the PET - it didn't on the other tests. Now she she has added a PET scan. She said that we are fine and she want to measure the active disease again. She said that perhaps we just have to switch off of Faslodex and add Lapatinib to the Herceptin. Perhaps not and we just continue with Faslodex and Herceptin depending on the PET and MRI results. She told me to take it easy and tried to convey to me that it is okay.

I know that this is nothing compared to the worry I felt about the Brain MRI and liver results. But these horrifying distinctions are lost on me sometimes. This fear and sadness feels cumulative sometimes. I just want this to GO AWAY. I want to wake up and have this be some really bad dream.

I am physically strong and I know that I should be gratefull for that every day. But, the mind part of this fight is sometimes overwhelming.

Sorry to dump here but this is how I feel right now. Thank you for listening.

Carolyns
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
hutchibk

Dumping is just one of the things we are here for, Carolyn!

I don't have any wisdom regarding what you are describing, I wish I did. Try and stay distracted as much as you can today... worrying about it will not make it go away, so try not to lose your whole day to worry! Do something that you love and makes you feel calm. Best wishes and lots of love.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
Caroline UK

Carolyns,

I'm sorry, I only have a couple of minutes then I have to go, but I just wanted to let you know that I read your message and felt for you. I don't know what to say that would help. Some days are just so horrible, when everything seems dark and frightening.

I know you'll find a way through, and hope you can find someone you can lean on today. I guess that's what we're all doing here, some days more than others.
I don't want to sound flippant, but hang in there, something will come along to help make you feel stronger and better able to face things.
You're in my thoughts - sending a sisterly hug to you
HER2+++, ER+/PR+
Right mast. May 2006. 6 of 20 nodes positive
FEC x 4, taxotere x 4; port implanted after 6 cycles
Rads x 25
1 year of Herceptin ended Nov 07.
Arimidex 5 years

Considering reconstruction, maybe soon...
Caroline UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Carolyns

Thank you Caroline and bhutchinson,

It helps so much to hear from you. No one else could understand this feeling but I have to get it out. Thank you for listening and making me feel like I am not alone. I know that this feeling will pass (it has to before my son comes home) and so I can get back to work. But for now I am trying to pull myself together. Thank you for your kind words.

Carolyns
Old 04-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
Caroline UK

Carolyns,

Was about to close my computer down and dash off, but felt I had to respond to your second message. My own eyes were a bit shiny as I read it. I've longed so many times for this all to be a bad dream - there are times when I genuinely can't believe it's actually happening, and there's this overwhelming horror which I desperately want to escape from, and can't. I find coming here is the best thing in the world when I'm feeling so afraid and alone - like you said, here is where I feel most understood. I'm so thankful for it.

It seems to me that if you can't feel better by the time your little boy comes home, well, then that's how it is, and not surprising. You're only human, and there are bound to be times when it feels just too much to bear for a while. Maybe it'll be a time when you have a cry and big bear hugs together, so neither of you feel you have to pretend for the other that you're feeling brave.
HER2+++, ER+/PR+
Right mast. May 2006. 6 of 20 nodes positive
FEC x 4, taxotere x 4; port implanted after 6 cycles
Rads x 25
1 year of Herceptin ended Nov 07.
Arimidex 5 years

Considering reconstruction, maybe soon...
Caroline UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
Jean

Dear Carolyns,

I just read your post and I wish I could make it all go away.
Raising our children is difficult enough without having to deal
with breast cancer. It is very diffiuclt not to think of doom
when your spirits are down.

The only thing I can offer is the thought that we never know
what will happen from day to day. Just last week here in the
States a madman shot a campus full students in Virgina. Many
young and beautiful people were gunned down and killed in the
prime of their lives. My point is our life is fragile and we know
best since we fight this nasty hateful disease each day.

Do not give up and feel helpless - please understand that each
day new drugs are being tested. Just look at how herceptin has
changed the entire her2 population of bc patients alone.
Please continue to dig deep in your soul for hope.
Enjoy your son and cherish each day. Please know we are also
here to help lift your spirits. It is not easy - but you are not
alone.

Will keep you in my thoughts and sending you a big hug,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
Joy

must be in the air, huh?

I know, I know, I know how you are feeling and I'm so, so sorry 'cause it hurts. And these riduculous, ugly lumps and bumps can really throw us. Maybe I could move to S. Florida (it's really icky here right now) and us single moms could give each other TLC when we need it. I'm really good at it when I'm not miserable.

Let us know how you are feeling and what any tests say and know that you and your son have a lot of love coming at you from every direction. I have an 8 year old girl and she cracks me up. I hope your punkin' will bring you some good old fashioned chuckles too.

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:28 AM   #8
Carolyns

Hi Jean, Thank you for your kind words.

Joy, Come on down. The weather is great here...until hurricane season starts. I know that you know how I feel. Thank you for your kind words, as you know, they mean so much on days like today.

This too shall pass. I just am down in the valley today.

Love, Peace, and Hope,

Carolyns
Old 04-24-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
RobinP

I wish I were in nice Florida too to give you an good TCL hug and smile. You will get through all of this. I have an eight year old too and he is what makes my world and helps me to see the good of life. I don't know what I would do without him. I just have a good feeling that this new bump you feel will be fine, but do get it checked out to put your mind at ease. Praying for you
Old 04-24-2007, 11:51 AM   #10
Yorkiegirl

Carolyns sending you a BIG HUG. I know what you are feeling. Like other's have said I wish I could give you teh hug in person.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #11
Mary Jo

Hi Carolyns,

I guess there isn't much more I can add to what the others have said, but I can offer you a HUGE HUG, LOTSA LOVE AND A SHOULDER TO CRY ON. Well, a cyber shoulder it will have to be .................................sorry!

Yes, it all can be overwhelming at times. And, I think it's fair to say we all have wished for our OLD normals to be back again and this NEW normal stuff to be GONE.

God's Peace I pray for you,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #12
fauxgypsy

Today an aquaintance told me that she thought I was very brave. I told her that brave has nothing to do with it. She said if it was her she would probably just give everything up and hang out in Florida. I tried to explain that I was doing this for my girls, and my grandchildren and my husband. Not just for me. As hardship goes, this has not been the worst thing in my life. But I cannot imagine being in your position. I think daily of all of you who have small children with or without husbands. I cannot imagine the strength that you need to get through this or the fear. I have constantly been thankful that my children are grown. I have had terrible problems with depression in my life and the only way I got through it was to keep the wellbeing of my family first and foremost in my mind. Just remember that this moment, this hour, this day is all you have to deal with at this moment. And it is okay if you drop a few balls now and then. I will keep you in my prayers. Leslie
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:28 AM   #13
jhandley

Wink Single mum too

Hi Carolyn
Here's a hug from another stage 4 single mum with a 10 year old daughter who means the world to me. I am currently NED and back working but have my down days too. I live in a small country town in Australia. Keep in touch.
Kind regards
Jackie
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #14
Vanessa

Hi Carolyn,

I am another stage IVer and although my children are grown, my husband is divorcing me, so I am alone (or without a supportive husband) in this fight. I have other family members who are supportive, but I understand how scary it can be and I am often fearful of what my future holds and whether I will be able to support myself. I know it must be harder when you have to worry about the future of your children. I hope you have the support of other family members and you definately dumped in the right place. Lots of hugs,

Vanessa
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:50 AM   #15
Carolyns

Robin, Vickie, Mary Jo, Leslie, Jackie, and Vanessa,

Thank you so much for your kind words of support. I don't know why but just being able to expose the raw and sometimes negative emotion of this journey is helpful. I am not one to complain and frankly most of my "healthy" friends and family could not handle knowing that I sometimes feel this way. I need them to be strong for me and they seem to mirror my emotions and fear. So I come here and you always know the right things to say to hold me up until the fear subsides or retreats for a while.

Thank you to all who helped to get me from yesterday to today. It is a new day and I am moving forward.

Love, Peace, and Hope,
Carolyn
Old 04-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #16
theresaw

Carolyn,
When I have my down days, I find a movie that will make me laugh. I just take each day as it comes...some good days, some not so good days, on the not so good days i try to think of happy thoughts or find something that will lift my spirit.
You are in my prayers
theresaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #17
sassy

Carolyn,

So much of the time we have to show "the strong side" for everyone else in our world. I really don't think anyone who has not been down this road can come close to understanding----so I am glad we are here for each other. My boys were 12 and 14 when I was diagnosed, so the fear of not being there for them was huge.

Wishing you strength and comfort---know we are all here for each other.
________
ECIGARETTES

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 09:14 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #18
LindaC

Location: Live in New York Monday through Thursday.Friday,Saturday,&Sunday Live in Cape May,New Jersey.
Carolyn,
I wish the best for you there is not much I can say everyone already said it.Just keep thinking positive and believe,remember your son he should bring a smile upon your face.Lots of HUGS are being sent to you.
LindaC
three tumors left breast,lymph nodes involed don't
know how many.Kidney failure postponed my surgery
which gave the doctors the opportunity to run test.
FishTest showed that I have her2 positive, mets to liver and bones.
Dx December 14,2006
one dose carboplatin
now once a week herceptin,taxol
once a month zometa
February 5,2007 pet scan showed everything good except bones
5-16-07 muga scan
5-17-07 pet scan
Everythig was clear taken off of zometa,chemo
herceptin every three weeks
LindaC is offline   Reply With Quote