HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #1
hutchibk

Beware of Splenda

MINNEAPOLIS, Sept. 22, 2008 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- James Turner, chairman of the national consumer education group Citizens for Health expressed shock and outrage after reading a new report from scientists at Duke University. "The report makes it clear that the artificial sweetener Splenda and its key component sucralose pose a threat to the people who consume the product. Hundreds of consumers have complained to us about side effects from using Splenda and this study, published this past week in the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health Part A, confirms that the chemicals in the little yellow package should carry a big red warning label," said Turner.

Among the results in the study by Drs. Mohamed B. Abou-Donia, Eman M. El-Masry, Ali A. Abdel-Rahman, Roger E. McLendon and Susan S. Schiffman is evidence that, in the animals studied, Splenda reduces the amount of good bacteria in the intestines by 50%, increases the pH level in the intestines, contributes to increases in body weight and affects the P-glycoprotein (P-gp) in the body in such a way that crucial health-related drugs could be rejected. Turner noted that the P-gp effect "could result in crucial medications used in chemotherapy for cancer patients, AIDS treatment and drugs for heart conditions being shunted back into the intestines rather than being absorbed by the body as intended."

http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroo....html?d=150785

Here is the Research report that is cited in the artical.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

Splenda alters gut microflora and increases intestinal p-glycoprotein and cytochrome p-450 in male rats.

Abou-Donia MB, El-Masry EM, Abdel-Rahman AA, McLendon RE, Schiffman SS.

Department of Pharmacology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA. donia@duke.edu

Splenda is comprised of the high-potency artificial sweetener sucralose (1.1%) and the fillers maltodextrin and glucose. Splenda was administered by oral gavage at 100, 300, 500, or 1000 mg/kg to male Sprague-Dawley rats for 12-wk, during which fecal samples were collected weekly for bacterial analysis and measurement of fecal pH. After 12-wk, half of the animals from each treatment group were sacrificed to determine the intestinal expression of the membrane efflux transporter P-glycoprotein (P-gp) and the cytochrome P-450 (CYP) metabolism system by Western blot. The remaining animals were allowed to recover for an additional 12-wk, and further assessments of fecal microflora, fecal pH, and expression of P-gp and CYP were determined. At the end of the 12-wk treatment period, the numbers of total anaerobes, bifidobacteria, lactobacilli, Bacteroides, clostridia, and total aerobic bacteria were significantly decreased; however, there was no significant treatment effect on enterobacteria. Splenda also increased fecal pH and enhanced the expression of P-gp by 2.43-fold, CYP3A4 by 2.51-fold, and CYP2D1 by 3.49-fold. Following the 12-wk recovery period, only the total anaerobes and bifidobacteria remained significantly depressed, whereas pH values, P-gp, and CYP3A4 and CYP2D1 remained elevated. These changes occurred at Splenda dosages that contained sucralose at 1.1-11 mg/kg (the US FDA Acceptable Daily Intake for sucralose is 5 mg/kg). Evidence indicates that a 12-wk administration of Splenda exerted numerous adverse effects, including (1) reduction in beneficial fecal microflora, (2) increased fecal pH, and (3) enhanced expression levels of P-gp, CYP3A4, and CYP2D1, which are known to limit the bioavailability of orally administered drugs.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:40 AM   #2
R.B.

Many thanks for posting Hutchibk.

Thought provoking !!

I will have a look to see if it has any effect on fat metabolism if I get time.

Thanks again

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:12 AM   #3
caya

Thanks Brenda for posting this. I will definitely only use Stevia now, it is totally natural. I will be throwing out any diet coke, diet iced tea etc. pronto.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Becky

I stopped all artificial sweetners when diagnosed and have not looked back.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
Colleens_Husband

I have also read that sucralose and nutrasweet were implicated in an increase in polyneuropathy symptoms. If you are on taxanes, you need to avoid most artificial sweetners.

Diagnosed in September 2007
ER-/PR-/HER2 Neu+++ 2.1 cm x .9 cm spicluted tumor with three fingers, Stage 2B
Sentinal node biopsy and lymph node removal with 3/18 positive in October 2007
4 TAC infusions
lumpectomy March 2008, bad margins
Re-excision on June 3rd, 2008 with clean margins
Fitted for compression sleeve July 16, 2008
Started the first of two TCH infusions August 14, 2008
Done with chemo and now a member of the blue dot club 9/17/08
Starting radiation October 1, 2008
life is still on hold
Colleens_Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
Mary Anne in TX

Thanks, Brenda, for taking time to post this.

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
hutchibk

My cousin is a neurosurgeon - and he believes that the blue and pink types of artificial sweeteners are a huge contributor over the last 20 years to the uptick in brain cancers...

I have always had an aversion to the chemical sweeteners, but have occasionally used Splenda in restaurants. I will now re-enact my strict stevia or REAL sugar discipline that I started about 5 years ago.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Last edited by hutchibk; 09-23-2008 at 09:55 AM..
Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
Bill

Thanks, Brenda. My advice, for what it's worth, is to abstain from using as many packaged products as possible. I'm only reiterating what many people here and elsewhere have already said. Try to slowly cut all sweeteners and high-salt foods and high fat food from your diet. All packaged foods should be cut out, too. Do I do that? No, but I try to as much as possible. Personally, I feel the best physically and emotionally when I eat only fresh fruits and veggies during the day, along with a daily dose of low sodium V-8 and yogurt, and a handful of raw almonds, walnuts, and unsalted sunflower seeds throughout the day. I eat no meat during the day (and very little animal fat, and that helps keep my energy level up) but at night, I generally fix a one skillet meal- chicken, broc, evoo, garlic, spices, or salmon, spinach, evoo, garlic, etc. On the weekends, I try to make a big pot of something healthy that will last a few days. I know that's easier for me to do than some, but I guess what I'm saying is that the less pre-packaged meals we eat, the better it is for us.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:05 AM   #9
harrie

Wow WB, I am impressed! I didn't think you would be so conscious of eating so healthy! I guess i shouldn't have sent the P.M. with all that red dye!!

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:25 AM   #10
TSund

I use XYLITOL as I don't like stevia's slightly bitter taste. Any opinions on that one?
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
goops

A few years back I developed neorological problems (I actually woke up partially blind) and had symptoms of a mini-stroke, these problems were caused from aspartame and Splenda.

Help my city grow:

http://goopsville.myminicity.com/ind/
goops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:30 PM   #12
harrie

Xylitol

From research I have read and dental presentations I have gone to, xylitol will literally prevent dental decay. Carefree gum has xylitol as do some other mints. I know once I picked up a container of candies and the sweetener was xylitol. This was at Borders.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #13
Patb

I do chew gum with xylitol just to try and not eat
a lot of suger, but I also found NuStevia at the health
food store in packets, made without the bitter taste.
I used it and its good. I have used a ton of splenda
to keep blood suger low, no more. Thanks Brenda
for the heads up.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:09 PM   #14
BethC

Could someone tell me what stevia is? Thanks!
Beth
Er+Pr+Her+++
Carboplatin/Taxotere/Herceptin
10-1-07 -- 1-16-08
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 9/24/08
Lump. and node dissection 2-12-08
BRCA1 and 2 negative
30 rads finished 4-23-08
oophorectomy 5-6-08
Femara started 5/25/08
Zometa for osteoporosis every 6 mo. started 9-24-08

Married 16 years!
3 kids - daughter (10), twin sons (7)
BethC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #15
Patb

I get Stevia at the health Food store. It is a herb
from Paraguay used for a long time. Since it is
plant based, they say it is better than artificial
sugars.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #16
hutchibk

I love stevia...

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 09-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #17
hutchibk

Xylitol, Chemical Information

Xylitol has been a known chemical substance since 1891, when it was first manufactured by a German chemist
Xylitol, as we mentioned in the General Information about Xylitol is a sugar alcohol. It's chemical formula is C5H12O5 and is produced by the hydrogenation of xylose to xylitol
Pure xylitol looks like sugar since it has a white crystaline appearance and tastes like sugar. However, it has 40% less calories than sugar. Only the one third of the absorbed xylitol gets metabolized in the body. The remaining two thirds are broken down by gut bacteria into short-chain fatty acids in the intestinal tract.
Some additional properties of xylitol include:
  • It is water soluble
  • It is about 20-25% sweeter than sugar
  • It is stable in storage
  • It does not caramelize at elevated temperatures
In case anyone want the chemical breakdown of Xylitol~

This, though, makes me worry a bit about Xylitol as an alternative sweetner... from the journal of American Veterinary Medical Assoc. http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/ref...vma.229.7.1113

I know we are not dogs, but this worries me enough to stick to good old sugar, maple and stevia.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 09-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #18
StephN

Wink

This report is somehow NOT surprising!

My husband has Diabetes type 1. He used the saccharine products sparingly until about 20 or more years ago, when I weaned him off. (I was afraid of side effects from that thing.)

For about the last 7 or 8 years he has used Stevia in his morning coffee and that is about all the sweetner he wants added to any food any more.

I also cut the small amount of sugar out of my diet, and was strict with my self about that for a long time. Being so many years NED now, I do make exceptions.

We use various spices or fresh or dried fruits more now.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote