HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
eric

liver cleansing

Any suggestions for supplements to help liver functions? There used to be a lot of talk about milk thistle but I haven't seen any posting on that for a while.

Thanks,
Eric
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Bill

Hi Eric! I hope you and Caryn are well. I don't know anything about supplements to take to help cleanse the liver. I recall that Chrisy (and maybe others) were on some type of liver-cleansing diet/regimen though. When Nikki began having problems with her liver (mainly bilirubin issues- her functions, oddly enough were pretty good) I bought "The Pill Book" at CVS pharmacy and went through it and researched every medicine, both OTC and Rx, that she was on and eliminated or reduced as much as we could that affected her liver. It helped. Make sure if Caryn is on any pain meds that they do not contain any acetaminophen/tylenol. Hopefully someone can answer your specific question a little better. Thoughts and prayers, brother. Bill
Old 08-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
chrisy

ericas you may recall I have elevated lft's from dm1. bill is right no tylenol products. I posted my liver detox diet which I think actuelly worked for me. I just don't remember where I posted it. it does include a milk thistle supp 3x/day with meals. try searching chrisy liver detox otherwise I can repost when I get to a real computer.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
goops

I think Milk thistle is the best - another supplement that some people recommend for liver is SAMe but in one of Dr. Blaylock's newsletters he indicated that he believed SAMe caused cancer.

I did not know that tylenol products were supposed to be bad - I will have to try staying away from them. Bill (or anyone) do you know an over the counter drug that would be better - is asprin better? (I am not on blood thinners)

Help my city grow:

http://goopsville.myminicity.com/ind/
goops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
Bill

(Chrisy is posting lately from a blackberry or something and has a word-limit thing going on)
Hey Goops, I'm no expert, but I do know that the liver cannot process acetaminophen/tylenol very well at all. Ibuprofen(Advil, Motrin) is an anti-inflammatory- you could try that otc. And like you said, aspirin. It really depends on what type and location of pain you are dealing with. I was talking with our pharmacist and she recommended rotating otc pain meds periodically as your body may develop a tolerance to them. I rarely take anything, so I don't know if that actually works or not, but please try to avoid the ace/ty. Eric, sorry to "tred on your thread", but I had to.

Last edited by Bill; 08-25-2008 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: The Goopster made me do it
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
Mgarr

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ht=liver+detox

Here is the link I was actually reading the other day and plan on starting this one tomorrow. My bilirubin nos. have been rising slightly. I'll let you know how it works.

Mar

Diagnosed 11/04 @39yrs. young
Stage IIB
2.5 cm, ER/PR- Her+++, grade 3
Partial Mast., 1/3 pos. node
1/05 full node dissection
4 A/C 4 Taxol DD, Herceptin 1 yr.
30X rads.
BRCA Negative
NED

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all -Emily Dickinson

Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
lilyecuadorian

Eric, somebody told me that artichoke is good for the liver ,
if you put a liter of water in the bowl and after is boinling take 10 leaves from the artichoke and leave it until is cool ...and then drink the water ....like water ...dosent have taste maybe a light green color ...throw aways the 10 leaves just drink the water ....is not gonna hurt you because is just water and antichoke (I forget before you put it on the boinling water washed the artichoke ) I know somebody that liver enxime get control with that .......and of course no tylenol ...and not grease food ...
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
madubois63

I haven't looked at the link Mgarr posted, but I've had 2 bouts of near liver failure with bilirubin readings over 10 and 12 and have been greener than one could imagine would be possible. My bilirubin is now <1.

Yes, Bill is correct in saying stay away from Tylenol and aspirin - not good for the liver!!! I take milk thistle 2x a day. Dandelion has been used for centuries to cleanse the liver. You can purchase it as a tea or eat the greens. My mom always boiled it and used olive oil, garlic, salt and lemon on it. I remember the first day I had the relapse to my liver/lungs. My mom freaked out (of course) and ran to the store to get dandelion. She not only made me eat the greens, but she made me drink the juice - no sugar. YUCK!!! The greens are bitter and it is an acquired taste.

I drink lots of water and green tea - both very good for the liver.

Here is a copy of a liver cleansing diet - just some suggestions:
Liver Cleansing Diet

Free Liver Cleansing Diet Plan

The liver cleansing diet involves eating foods rich in nutrients that support the liver, while eating foods that are organic, easy to digest and rich in water and compounds that cleanse the liver. It is a great alternative to the traditional methods of liver cleansing, as it does not require you to buy specialized herbal supplements.

There are a few general thoughts and guidelines that will get you started. You'll find, for instance, that there are foods that will make your liver work harder, and thus wear them down faster. Full-fat dairy products, things that contain lots of processed vegetable oils, deep-fried foods, and highly preserved meats all fall into this category. If you do want to eat them, make sure that you counteract them by eating oats, grains and replacing your dairy products with soy and rice milk wherever possible.

Buy foods in their natural state as much as possible. That doesn't mean going to a farm and digging up the potatoes yourself, but when you visit the store, walk towards the fresh fruit and vegetables section, and avoid the packaged meals completely.

Your Liver Cleansing Foods

The first food for the liver cleansing diet is actually a drink. Water is the most important "food" you can take in during your liver cleanse, as it provides a solvent to dissolve toxins, and carry them away in the form of urine. Adding freshly-squeezed lemon, or lemon juice to your water will help the liver produce more bile, which fills the gallbladder and flushes both organs of toxins and parasites.

The second drink that's great for the liver is green tea. Green tea is rich in catechins, a form of antioxidant that protects organs from DNA damage, cancer and tumor formation. Scientific studies have suggested that the catechins in green tea can protect the liver from disease. Aim for an organic form of green tea, which hasn't been sprayed with pesticides, and you'll have an excellent replacement for regular tea and coffee, which cleanses and supports your liver at the same time!

Antioxidants also protect the liver from free radicals produced during the detoxification process. A great source of antioxidants are fruits, in particular prunes, berries, citrus fruits and apples and pears. Not only do these fruits contain many micronutrients that protect and support the liver, they are water rich, which create an additional source of fluid for diluting and detoxifying the blood, and flushing the liver.

Focus on dark green leafy vegetables while cleansing your liver. Not only are these the most nutrient rich forms of vegetable, they are rich in chlorophyll, which is iron-rich, and helps the body to detoxify faster. Leafy vegetables such as spinach, dandelion and kale, are a rich source of antioxidants, magnesium, iron, folic acid and vitamins A, C, E and K.

If you can prepare these vegetables raw in a salad, that's even better for your liver health. The second-best alternative is steaming the vegetables, and if you prefer cooked vegetables during your liver cleanse, opt for the cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, collard greens, bok choy, kale and watercress. Not only are vegetables rich in fiber and vitamin C, they also contain anti-tumor and anti-cancer compounds, such as selenium.

Other vegetables that are good for the liver include artichokes, which stimulates the production of bile, beets which cleanse the blood, and put less stress on the liver, and sulphur-rich foods such as onions and garlic, which support the liver in detoxifying heavy metals and excess hormones.

While you would benefit from avoiding fatty foods, essential fatty acids are vital for your liver cleansing diet. These include foods such as flaxseed oil, olive oil, hemp oil, rapeseed oil and fish oils. Pour them over your cooked vegetables, take them as supplements or transform them into salad dressings to stimulate bile production and lubricate the liver and gallbladder.

Another superfood for the liver is spirulina. This is a form of algae which comes from lakes and ponds, and is used by vegetarians as a complete protein source. It is easier to digest than animal proteins, and helps the liver because its rich in nutrients such as selenium, essential fatty acids, manganese, copper, zinc, beta-carotene, B-complex vitamins and vitamin E. Recent scientific reports have linked the spirulina with protecting against liver damage.

The liver cleansing diet can be done at home, alongside a herbal detoxification program. A herbal liver detox, combined with the healthy liver cleansing diet simply amplifies the benefits your liver - and the rest of your body will receive.
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:32 AM   #9
eric

Thanks all. Bill you can't "tred on my thread" as I hope others benefit as well.

MaryAnn - what dosage of milk thistle do you take?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
chrisy

thanks maryann, sounds like a great regimen and of course you are an expert! probably not what you aspired to n your childhood, but an expert nonetheless. this is pretty consistent dietarily with what i've ben doing, but it is so helpful to get more of an 'explanation of what the various factors are impacting.by the way, I think the active components in artichoke and milk thistle are the same (silymarin) and for me artichoke tastes better than dandelion...especially with lots of garlic and some olive oil!As a suppement, I take 259mg 3x/day with food.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
naturaleigh

Eating Well

I subscribe to the "Eating Well" magazine. This months issue was talking about the Mediterranean diet and the health benefits of it. This it is not liver detox, but thought that might be a plan for healthier eating. Does anyone here go by this diet? I wish I was at home so I could list the daily, weekly and monthly foods to eat.

er, pr-, Her2+++
Stage 2b, grade 3
negative nodes
4 rounds AC
3 months of weekly taxol
1 yr of Herceptin
Finish Herceptin May 2007
35 rounds of Radiation
Reconstruction completed Dec 2007
Implant replaced due to infection Mar 2008
4 Years NED!!!
naturaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #12
ElaineM

Thumbs up liver cleansing

I have taken milk thistle for almost 10 years. I have never had trouble with liver function, so I guess it helps.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #13
hutchibk

Chrisy - I saved your detox diet to my desktop! so here it is:

My 'liver cleansing' diet is to include the following daily for 7 days:

1C carrot salad (pulp from juicing or just ground up fine in food processor + 1T each olive oil and lemon juice)

1-2C 'green soup' (equal amts celery, zucchini, green beans simmered till just tendered then pureed in a blender, add 1T each parsley and butter). I also have been adding artichoke, and you can season this with whatever spices you want

2 glasses of Green Drink (juiced from any green veggies, then mixed with equal part of mild juice made from fruits). Technically you're sposed to juice this all, but I usually make a smoothie from carrots, "green stuff" like lettuce or greens, cucumber, protein powder (chocolate flavor of course!) blueberries+/- other fruits, and beet juice. DELICIOUS might be a stretch, but if you get good proportions it can be quite tasty. You also need to add some water of course, and if you don't add enough it looks like polyjuice potion from Harry Potter.

3 oz fresh beet juice (total, not in addition to if you put it in the polyjuice potion). Since this is such a mess to make, I juice a bunch of it and freeze it in an icecube tray, each cube is about 1oz.

1 tablet milk thistle/silymarin with each meal.

This is NOT all I eat, I fit this in with other meals - - lots of veggies as was suggested by others.

-- Chrisy's Liver detox diet

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
SoCalGal

Hi Eric-
My integrative oncologist (at UCLA) was very excited yesterday about a particular product ONLY from Douglas Laboratories called Wobenzym N. Formula #99975.

I ordered a bottle of (800) of them and will be taking them to boost my immune system. I cannot type all that he told me yesterday but I have been seeing him for 16 months on a weekly basis and trust and respect him 100%.

I don't know if they are liver specific but he told me that one patient who is also on chemo had a huge liver involvement from bc - with elevated enzymes and in two months is NED with normal blood work. He also told me that if nothing else it is a well known and documented immune booster- used in Europe for 80 years.

I will be taking (3) pills 3x a day on an empty stomach - to start. Hope that helps.
Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:31 AM   #15
eric

Thanks everyone. Flori - love the sound of that. I'll look into it. Thank you! Eric