HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
michele u

when it rains it pours!

Well, last thursday i was going to comb my new horses hair. (i have 2 horses now!) i bought her because the guy told me she was kid safe and bomb proof. I went to grab the comb and the horse pulled back on her rope and the rope got wrapped around my leg and just like that, my leg was torn open. I was by myself and without my cell phone. It happened so fast i didn't know i was hurt until i saw my knee cap was hanging out. I tried to hold it together to walk to the house but it was hard to walk and do that, so i crawled. I got the cell phone and called for help. went to the ER and it took 8 deep stitches and 8 on top. Not a way to finish the week off. this horse is going back tomorrow. The guy i bought it from told me it was MY fault the horses hurt me, that there is nothing wrong with this horse. She goes crazy when she is tied up. He said she didn't do that until i bought her, yeh right! I've never been talked so rudley to in my life. I want to write a letter to the editer but i won't.
Oh and i also had to go get an ultrasound of breast during this yucky week. I was having some clear drainage from the oposite breast. I had that 6 months before i was dx with cancer. I never thought anything about until i got dx. I didn't want to pooh this off so i got the ultrasound. It was normal, but i'm going to watch that breast pretty closely.
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
Bev

Ouch, Ouch, Hope all works out. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:31 AM   #3
RhondaH

Oh Michele...

things HAVE to get better for you soon. Prayers will continue. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:12 AM   #4
Mary Jo

Hugs to you.
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:47 AM   #5
madubois63

Ouch sweetie - Glad it wasn't worse!!!! I hope you heal quick...
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:43 AM   #6
MJo

As my primary care doc told me when I sprained my ankle five days after finishing rads, Life Goes On. Ain't that the truth. Hope your leg heals fast. MJO
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:16 AM   #7
Tom

Unhappy Yikes

Dear Michele,

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. That kneecap visual did it for me. My leg began to hurt just reading about it. Make sure you watch out for infection if the laceration was that deep in the joint.

I think perhaps the horse wasn't prepared for the competition of having a cute redhead around when she was trying to impress passing males.

You might reconsider returning her, as you will surely need at least two horses if you decide to "draw and quarter" your husband. In nautical terms, we call that a "four point moor"...ouch.

Take care of that leg and try to get some rest. Let us know how things are going. Take care.

Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #8
Lolly

Dear Michelle, so SORRY to hear this! Wow, you've really earned the "Purple Heart" for sure...as Tom says, watch out for infection. I hope they have you on prophylactic antibiotics for this; when I lacerated my middle finger earlier this year and had to have stitches, the emergency room doc didn't think antibiotics would be necessary but my onc sure did when I called in the next day just to run it by him. I was also on chemo at the time so that probably made a difference.

Hope you heal well, and that horse guy is a fraud!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:37 AM   #9
Julie2

Michelle,

So sorry to hear the news. Wish you for the quick recovery.

Julie
Old 09-05-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
anne

Michelle,
Ouch. Healing thoughts coming your way. You have had a rough week, maybe a chocolate sundae would help!
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #11
geraldine

Dear Michelle,
What a right sh...y week you've had....My heart goes out to you.
Hope it wont be too long before your laughing again...

Hugs
Geraldine
geraldine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #12
Becky

Although I rarely talk about it, my family and I are avid horse people. We have had and bred horse forever. Although there are horses that are less spooky and more bombproof than others, all horses must be looked on as 1000 lb animals that if frightened, will run right over you.

I can't tell you how many ER visits we have had in 15 yrs (last one was 4th of July where my 15 yr old (who just got out of the hospital with an asthma attack) was thrown and got a concussion). She's fine. Years ago she was "run over" by a spooked horse and got a broken jaw (we are still dealing with problems with the permanent teeth that were still embedded in the jaw at her age at that time). But, she is ranked 40th in the nation in her division. We breed sporthorses (usually warmbloods crossed on throughbred mares but we have one paint mare too and are about to (hopefully) sell one of our appaloosa mares (being vet checked by the potential buyer tomorrow).

You should get cross ties when working with the horse(s) or tie them to a fence or in their stall. If they are not used to being tied, then you have to get them used to it (we do this to the babies to start their "gentling" and to start them getting used to submission).

I am sure you did nothing wrong. Every event is an awakening of what not to do - with horses, that is for sure. I am going to try to attach a 3 yr old picture of Cara (my daughter who gets hurt the most - she and another daughter (Robin) both got broken arms riding) on Camille (Cara's show horse who will hopefully sell tomorrow. Get well, this was the last thing you needed to have happen (at least for us, we're used to it - I think when they see me pull up (its where I get my Herceptin etc) they think "here they are again - I wonder what's broke this time!!!"

But you gotta love it. I do.

Big kiss to you, Becky
Attached Images

Last edited by Becky; 09-05-2006 at 06:22 PM..
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #13
michele u

Becky,

so you understand why i keep getting back on horses don't you!! The picture of your horse looks just like my first bucksin i got. well, i went to get her back today from the crook! Bucksins are very pretty! In your area how much would a well broke riding horse cost? I paid 1300$ for my bucksin.
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote