HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
Lani

cox2 and aromatase coexpressed in breast cancer

Which may be why cox inhibitors act as aromatase inhibitors (they are anti VEGF as well according to multiple papers)

ABSTRACT: Cyclooxygenase-2 mRNA expression correlates with aromatase expression in human breast cancer [Journal of Surgical Oncology]
Introduction: The cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), responsible for the conversion of arachidonic acid into prostaglandin (PG) E2, is known to increase intracellular cAMP and estrogen production in malignant breast tissue. The aromatase enzyme complex is responsible for local production of estrogens in breast cancer. Increasing evidence supports a role for COX-2 in upregulation of aromatase activity. The aim of this study was to examine the relationship between COX-2 and aromatase mRNA expression in human breast cancer.
Methods: A total of 160 breast samples (127 tumor tissues and 33 normal tissues) were analyzed. Levels of transcription were determined using real-time quantitative PCR. COX-2 and aromatase mRNA expression were normalized against CK19. Levels of expression of COX-2 were correlated with those of aromatase using Pearson's correlation method.
Results: Levels of expression of COX-2/CK19 of both benign and malignant tissues were positively correlated with aromatase/CK19 transcript levels (correlation coefficient = +0.536, P < 0.0001). When we compared levels of expression of both genes in malignant samples only, there was a highly significant positive correlation (r = +0.611, P < 0.00001).
Conclusion: This study demonstrates a strong positive relationship between COX-2 and aromatase mRNA expression, and lends further support to the hypothesis that COX-2 is an upregulator of aromatase in breast tissue.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
R.B.

Thanks Lani.

Do you have a link and trial ref for this please.

I have some other similar links. I have been looking into this for a while.

More soon!.

Many thanks

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Lani

I think this is it

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/c...TRY=1&SRETRY=0
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:24 AM   #4
R.B.

Thanks Lani.

My browser cookie settings would not let me look at it.

I googled it and did not find it but found this which is straightforward in its comment

http://www.springerlink.com/content/8310235677lm7875/

Abstract There is a growing body of evidence that COX-2 expression s a fundamental step in breast cancer pathogenesis acting through prostaglandin-dependent and independent mechanisms. Epidemiological studies suggest that NSAIDs confer a moderate degree of benefit against breast cancer. However further work is required to establish how this enzyme system can be best manipulated for therapeutic benefit.
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote