HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2005, 08:41 AM   #1
Christine MH

Taxotere® (docetaxel) receives 2 new European approvals for treatment of breast cancer

In addition to approving TAC for early breast cancer, the European Commission approved "Taxotere®, in combination with Herceptin® (trastuzumab), for the treatment of patients with metastatic breast cancer whose tumors over-express the Her2 gene. The Commission approval is based on the results of two separate large randomized international trials."

I must admit that I think my oncologist in the UK has been using this combination since the results of phase III became available, but it is very good news for patients whose doctors aren't as clued up.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
leticiazarain

Christine, I live in Germany and as far as I know, this combo has been used in Germany since a long time too. I have not had it yet, but is good to know that we can have it approved now.
Sorry about my english, is not my mother´s language!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:53 AM   #3
Cara

Hello Christine and Leticia

I live in France and was given this combination from March 2004.

Finished Taxotere mid July and am still on 3 weekly Herceptin.

I'm assuming neither of you are on the HERA trial.

I'm not either but would love to hear from anybody on it and if there are any results yet.

Cara
Old 02-25-2005, 10:20 AM   #4
Christine MH

Hi Cara,

Unfortunately, I was just a little too late for HERA. My oncologist gave me taxotere after surgery on top of the standard FEC75 before surgery as a form of insurance.

I have looked for a vaccine trial, but there are none in the UK. In the meantime, I try to do what I can to keep the cancer away, even if it is only to use olive oil. green tea and take some vitamin D. The vitamin D is, of course, just D2, not exactly the one that HER2 dislikes, but vitamin D generally does seem to hold back some cancers and there is so little of it in Yorkshire in the winter. At any rate, it is unlikely to hurt.

I recently read that the HERA results wouldn't be out for another two years. Judging from the results of the stage I studies of herceptin-based chemo, I suspect that they may turn out to be the big advance, so you were lucky to get the treatment you did.

Best wishes,
Christine