HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Gary

First Post/Strange Question

Hello all...

First post ever. What a great resource! I admire each of you for your support, courage and insight. Thanks!

My wife was diagnosed in January, 2004 with Stage IIIa breast cancer. Her tumor was 7 cm. She had a mastectomy with tram flap reconstruction. She was her2+ and er+. Her pr number was 30%...not sure whether this means pr+ or pr-(maybe someone could help me with this one). She participated in the Herceptin trials for 16 weeks but had to withdraw because her injection fraction dropped to 40% (it has bounced back to 60%). She was taking Arimidex. Her last ct/bone scans were in April, 2007 and she remains cancer free.

Here's my "strange question". Last week, my wife's period returned after 3 1/2 years. Her oncologist was quite surprised since they have monitored her menopausal status every six months through blood tests. She had another blood test last week after her period...sure enough her menopausal status had changed from post to pre.

Given this turn of events, her oncologist provided two options. First, my wife could get "the shot" that shuts down her estrogen production and remain on Arimidex. Or, she could simply switch to Tamoxifen. Her oncologist suggested that she switch to Tamoxifen. She said that, while Arimidex has proven superior to Tamoxiven for post menopausal women, it has not been proven superior for women who are artifically placed in a post-menopausal phase.

I am not second-guessing her oncologist...she is absolutely wonderful! She has been on the leading edge of technology throughout my wife's treatment. Just wondering if anyone has had a similiar experience?

Thanks,

Gary
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
trixkit

Hi Gary,

Don't have an answer to your question, but have one for you.

How long did it take for you wifes ejection fraction to bounce back? My wifes went down to just under 40 a few months ago, it's not getting any worse, but has yet to come back.

Thanks
John
trixkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
Gary

Hello John...

I don't recall the exact time frame...I would guess around 4 to 5 months.

Good luck,

Gary
Old 09-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
Becky

Dear Gary

You do not mention your wife's age. My period also came back and I had my ovaries removed to stay on Arimidex. AIs are proved superior if you are not highly ER+ and PR+. Your wife is PR+ but just moderately so. Highly positive is in the 70%+ range. Also, since she is only moderately + on at least PR, she is also Her2+ which is another indicator that an AI would work better. However, age does play a factor here too. I was 46 when I had my ovaries removed and would be 47 in a couple of months from then.

Lupron or Zoladex shots work well but are not as good as oophorectomy but it is an option in those under 40 or if you want to consider having a baby.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
Gary

Hello Becky...

Thanks for the reply. She was 44 when she was first diagnosed and she is now 48. Her er number was 90% (highly positive). No plans for more children.

Gary
Old 09-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
Becky

Then your wife and you should seriously consult with not only her oncologist but others on her healthcare team - to include a gynecologist and possibly an endocrinologist (as well as a second opinion oncologist) on what exactly to do. For me, there was no question as I am moderately ER+ (50%) and PR neg.

I believe my choice was right for me after research and consultation and I believe you should do the same.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
Joanne S

I can only speak from my personal experience. I was having periods prior to my cancer diagnosis. Since chemo, radiation, herceptin, I have not had a period. My oncologist has put me on Tomaxifen and advised me if I started a period to notify her immediately for a shot. She does not want the risk of allowing the body any generation of estrogen that can be controlled. She has encouraged me to have my ovaries removed as studies have proven that Tomaxifen does not work as well with women that ER+ with HER2+. I found the same info somewhere on the internet. My doctor feels that Arimidex is the better choice for ER+ women with HER2+. Perhaps you could research this area before making any decisions. Please keep us posted. Best to you and well wishes to your wife.
Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:14 AM   #8
madubois63

While on Tamoxifen, my period came back. I truly believe I should have had my overies removed then (various other problems came about that have made it difficult for me to have any unnecessary sugeries for a while). I had a relapse and was then switched to Femara and Lupron shots were added to my treatment plan. I am a big beleiver in getting rid of it if your not going to use it! Just my opinion. Lupron shots are given every 3 months and are a very easy solution too...Good luck on the decision.
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:41 AM   #9
TSund

We are soon to face the same dilemna. Ruth was also having regular periods pre-dx/chemo.

Did I read someplace on this site that there was a trial combining tomixifen and then AI's?

TRS
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
Susan

Hi All: I'm going to the gyn. on Monday for an eval. My periods started back up again after 1 year. I guess we're going to talk about ooph. I'll know more next week.

IDC, Stage 1, Grade 3
Oncotype Dx Score 40
Her2+++ E+P+
Lumpectomy 5/05
Re-excision 6/05
4AC
33 rounds of radiation
1 year Herceptin (had to quit after 8 months, due to low muga scores)
Faslodex until 11-07
Hysterectomy with ovaries 11-07
Arimidex 12-07 switched to Aromasin 10-09
Quit Aromasin 11-09 due to joint pain
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #11
saleboat

You may want to check this out:

http://breastcancerupdate.com/bcu2007/4/perez.asp

Dr. Edith Perez says that for those hr+ women who have had adjuvent Herceptin, there isn't (yet) any DFS difference between those who took Tamox and those who took an AI. Time may tell a different story, but there is a lot of data out there that does not account for the adjuvent use of Herceptin.

Me, I'm happily on Tamox. I was highly both ER and PR positive. I am too young for menopause and after consulting with three different Oncs, they all recommended the Tamox, so I let it go at that. Shutting down or removing the ovaries at a young age can have serious health consequences that should be considered.

Jen
(IVF in between surgery and chemo)
tx dd A/C, followed by dd Taxol & Herceptin
30 rads (or was it 35?)
Finished Herceptin on 7/24/06
Tamox
livingcured.blogspot.com

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow." -- Helen Keller
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:33 PM   #12
Joanne S

Jen, This is so confusing for me. I clicked on the site: http://breastcancerupdate.com/bcu2007/4/perez.asp

I didn't understand the chart so I clicked on Abstract 48: which opened a new window: http://www.abstracts2view.com/sabcs0...u=SABCS06L_406

[48] Relationship between quantitative ER and PgR expression and HER2 status with recurrence in the ATAC trial.
Dowsett M, Allred DC, on Behalf of the TransATAC Investigators.. Royal Marsden Hospital, London, United Kingdom; Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX

Purpose: To determine the relationship between quantitative estrogen receptor (ER) and progesterone receptor (PgR) expression and human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) status with disease recurrence, in primary ER+ and/or PgR+ breast cancer patients treated with adjuvant anastrozole (A) or tamoxifen (T) in the Arimidex, Tamoxifen, Alone or in Combination (ATAC) trial (ISRCTN18233230).

Background: The ATAC trial randomized 9366 patients to 5 years treatment with A or T or the combination. Following analysis of the results of the main ATAC trial at a median follow-up of 33 months, the combination arm was discontinued since it was no more effective than T alone. After a median follow-up of 68 months, it was found that A prolonged disease-free survival significantly compared with T in ER+ and/or PgR+ patients (hazard ratio 0.83; 95% confidence intervals 0.73, 0.94; p=0.005). ER, PgR and HER2 expression have each been reported to influence responses to aromatase inhibitors and T differentially.

Materials and Methods: Retrospective consent to tumor block collection and biomarker analysis was sought from patients with ER+ and/or PgR+ tumors in the A or T arms (total number eligible: 5880). Tissue sections were cut and tissue microarrays (TMAs) were constructed. Immunohistochemical stains for ER (Novocastra 6F11 on TMAs), PgR (Novocastra 312 on sections) and HER2 (DAKO HercepTest on sections) were performed. Scoring systems were ER: H-score; PgR: percentage of positive cells; HER2: staining classification on a scale of 0 to 3+ (positive status 3+ or 2+ if confirmed by FISH). Relationships between biomarker expression and recurrence will be assessed by proportional hazards analysis.

Results: 1792 blocks (30% of total eligible) have been collected and are being tested. All blocks collected by the end of September 2006 will be analyzed. A total of >2000 blocks is anticipated at that time. Acknowledgements: We are grateful to the many investigators and pathologists who have collaborated in this work. Financial support was provided by grants from AstraZeneca and Breakthrough Breast Cancer.
Sunday, December 17, 2006 11:15 AM
General Session 7 (9:00 AM-11:30 AM)

Anastrozole and Arimidex are the same thing so I don't think I'm missing the boat???????
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote