HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
StephN

Question ACUPUNCTURE ~~ Anyone tried it??

I have seen from time to time where some of the posts have mentioned acupuncture or it might be in the signature.

What did you have it for?

How did the therapist treat it?

Did it work out for you?

Thanks!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Karen Weixel

Hi Steph,

I have been going for acupuncture for 5 years now and I love it!!. Originally I went because of chronic hives and an elevated liver enzyme. Now I go for piece of mind. It truly helps.

Karen
Karen Weixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
Linda

Hi Steph:
I did it twice a week during chemo, because I was advised by other women that it might help. All I know is that it helped keep me sane (and working!) and that it was incredibly relaxing and good to have some non western, hands on non clinical treatment. I didn't continue, partly because of cost, partly because I no longer needed it. Then my accupuncturist moved to Europe, so I haven't done it again.
I think it can be really good for your head and body, if you find the right practicioner and have good chemistry. It's mysterious and can be painful, but I always left feeling better than when I went in.
Linda
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
VaMoonRise
Deceased

Talking Great Alternative Therapy

Hi Steph,

I had acupuncture years ago after a terrible car accident for migraines, back problems and insomnia. It really helped to stop the frequency of migraines and back spasms, helped me to relax and even cleared up a lot of sinus problems I was having.

It works by using the natural pressure points in the body. Each pressure point focus' in on the targeted area you want to treat which is not typically the same area that lies underneath the needle, it generally is a distant area that the pressure point treats. You lay on a table while the acupuncturist locates the proper pressure points and that is where he/she places the needles and lets them stand for a certain amount of time. They usually have very soothing music and aroma therapy going on in the room as they do this (very, very relaxing, I always fell asleep). The needles are completely painless or at least they always were in my case. A good acupuncturist will talk to you about diet and nutrition as well.

There are plenty of good books available that are all about using the pressure points of the body to relieve pain and stress and to treat certain conditions without having to use acupuncture, instead you use your hands or have someone else to locate the pressure points and to apply the pressure/massage technique.

I hope this helped some and that if you decide to try it that it has as many healing properties for you as it did for me.

Nicola

March 18, 2004, Age 36
Diagnosed: High Grade DCIS, Microcalcifications, Solid and Comedo type, Nuclear grade 3 with 1mm margins, ER+, PR+, Stage "0"
3-8-04 Left breast lumpectomy.
4-1-04 thru 6-24-04 Adjuvant XRT.
11-29-05 Gallbladder attack.
12-01-05 Surgery to have gallbladder removed, discovered cancer spread throughout liver in both lobes, HER2+ amplified by FISH and interestingly enough negative for ER and PR.
12-9-05 Clinical trial consisting of Tykerb, Taxol and Herceptin along with Zometa once a month. On clinical trial for 15 months before liver mets started progressing. Started on Navelbine 3-9-07. Navelbine failed, switched to Gemzar July 07. MRI of the brain on July 7, 07. Results revealed multiple brain tumors. Taken off of Gemzar immediately and began 15 rounds of WBR which I completed on July 26, 07. CT scan on 7-26-07 significant progression in the liver mets. I am now getting ready to start on Xeloda along with Herceptin and Zometa once a month.
VaMoonRise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:15 AM   #5
hutchibk

I did it during my first round of chemo 3 years ago, and I am actually getting ready to start it again soon. I plan to go once every 3 weeks.... I loved it. But, I recommend steering clear of the chinese herbs (if your accupuncturist is also an herbalist) - as they can be incompatible with chemo if you are not careful.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:02 AM   #6
RhondaH

Smile Steph...

I tried it once when I was taking a Co-Dependency course several years ago (the instructor was an acupuncturist and asked us if we would like to try it for relaxasion (sp) and it sure worked). I would like to try it again, but haven't gotten around to it. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:46 AM   #7
saleboat

I did acupuncture through treatment as well-- I had been going to an acupuncturist prior to dx for anxiety issues.

As for dealing with chemo symptoms, I felt relief from the acupuncture. A bonus was that the acupuncturist was a 10-year cancer survivor, so he was great in many ways.

Jen
(IVF in between surgery and chemo)
tx dd A/C, followed by dd Taxol & Herceptin
30 rads (or was it 35?)
Finished Herceptin on 7/24/06
Tamox
livingcured.blogspot.com

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow." -- Helen Keller
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
MJo

I did it once a week during chemo. I still do it once a month. I will probably switch to every two months soon, but I plan to continue taking accupuncture. My asthma is much, much better. I stil have pain from Arimidex. WOuld it be worse if I stop accupuncture? I don't want to find out.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #9
lu ann

I had it at Cancer Treatment Centers of America during radiation treatment. I had to have my arms up over my head for about 25 minutes during rads, which caused me discomfort from the scar tissue I have in my chest caused by tram flap reconstruction. I only had the procedure once, but changed to chair massages for my back, which was like heaven.

Lu Ann
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #10
StephN

Wink Thanks for the info, ladies

Had my first acupuncture treatment today and it was overall a good experience. It was basically painless or one the very thin needle being inserted she adjusted if I said it was stingy. But hardly felt a thing for the most part. And only one tiny drop of blood on my leg.

The young lady spent a long time with the intake/history form and understanding all I have been through in the past 7 years. Her mom passed away from cancer a few years back so she was very interested to see that we are able to survive as stage IV for an extended period.
I went more for drainage and "damp" control, which also translates to allergy symptoms. I can tell a real difference after the treatment.

This is a more interesting subject then I thought it would be. My gal is a Chinese method practitioner. There are several other schools of acupuncture.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #11
doh2pa
Deceased

Hi Steph,

Glad to hear that your first experience was a good one.

I started seeing an accupuncturist in April for lingering neuropathy in my toes. After 2 treatments, I felt about a 75% improvement and was thrilled. I continue to go to her once a month for relaxation and overall health issues.

Donna
Mastectomy 4/04 - 4 rounds AC
9/05 - mets to liver treated with carbo/ixabipelone/herceptin
3/06 - complete remission
9/06 - new liver mets, starting Taxotere/Herceptin
1/07 -Liver mets stable, staying on Herceptin
5/07 - Liver, lung progression - starting T/X
12/07 - Liver, lung progression - starting weekly Navilbene/Herceptin
4/08 - Liver progression - started Abraxane, Carbo, Tykerb and Herceptin
7/08 - Liver Progression - started Gemzar, Avastin and Tykerb
10/08 - Liver progression - starting Doxil
doh2pa is offline   Reply With Quote