HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
NEDenise

Question Anyone have the tummy tuck/reconstruction combo? (DIEP)

Hi...
Both my surgeons have recommended I have the recon. that moves "fat" and blood vessels from my abdomen to reconstruct my breasts.
Has anyone out there had this done?
What kind of recovery time did you need?
Any advice?
If you don't mind sharing...do "they" look real? and what is sensation like afterward?
If you had it to do all over again...would you have recon at all?
Do you still need mammograms?
It's all well and good for my male surgeons to recommend this...and I trust their technical expertise implicitly...but I'd really appreciate some first-hand answers from someone who's been there.
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Mary Jo

Re: Anyone have the tummy tuck/reconstruction combo? (DIEP)

Hello Denise.......

Yes, I have had DIEP. I had delayed bilateral DIEP. I was diagnosed in 2005 and had both breasts reconstructed in 2008. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would have a surgery such as that. For that matter, I never thought I would do any kind of reconstruction. Truly, I was fine "breastless" - just as I was. However, one day, about 2 1/2 years after my diagnosis.....when I felt as if I was finally moving forward and accepting more readily that I truly might be "well" I started doing some research on reconstruction and the options available. None of the options were anything I would have wanted and then I read about DIEP. I thought, now there's a form of reconstruction I would want. However, when I started reading how detailed the surgery was I wasn't quite so sure. But, long story short...that's how it started for me.

My cancer treatment/surgery etc. was at Froedtert Hospital in Milwaukee, WI. I was very happy with the care I received their. When I read about DIEP and how there weren't many doctors who did it and how many had to travel far away to have the surgery, I thought, no, I would never do that. That was that. Then I thought that I should e-mail my surgeon from 3 years prior (who did both mastectomies) and asked for her recommendation. She told me that Dr. John Hijjawi was honored with the Kroll fellowship, allowing him study DIEP flap reconstruction in Belgium, with one of the techniques originators, Dr. Phillip Blondeel. And the best part....he was located at MY hospital. Who knew. Hmmm.....maybe!! So I did my research......met Dr. Hijjawi.....and the rest is history. In June of 2008 I had bilateral DIEP.

I recovered very well. Thankfully, I had no complications. My reconstruction results were beautiful and I was very pleased. I would say you should count on a good 8 weeks recovery if you have a physical job. If you sit at a desk, I would say you could return to work in 4 - 6 weeks. I have off in the summer months so it worked perfect for me. I was very ready to return to work in the fall. As a matter of fact, I was out and about and walking again (slowly mind you) in only a week and a half.

Yes, they look very real. I feel as if I was born with them in all honesty. I had nipples tattooed on so they look REAL ... even the nipples look like they are real nipples, but the best part, they don't stick out. haha. My breasts don't sag anymore and my tummy was removed. Hey, if you have to find the silver lining in all this, that's mine.

I would most definitely do it again. Of course I can say that because it all went super smooth for me. I had no complications whatsoever and they look great.

No, no mammograms. These are breasts made from my abdomen..it is abdominal tissue and not breast tissue. I do check them like a person would breasts - I do check under my arms, but that is all.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
NEDenise

Smile Re: Anyone have the tummy tuck/reconstruction combo? (DIEP)

Mary Jo,
Thanks for all the great info. I'm feeling much more at peace with my decision now. I just have one more question...well maybe two...who "did" the nipples? and when?
Okay...one more question...did it hurt?

I have summers off too (4th grade teacher)...but I used the summer for chemo, so I'll likely be out of school until after Christmas break...at least. I've heard about several women who worked through their entire treatment. God bless them! But I can't imagine teaching and doing all this at the same time. I'm so tired most of the time, and teaching takes a lot of energy!!

It looks like you are doing well! That's great! Thanks again for sharing.
Denise

11/11 radiation x28
7/10/12 last Herceptin
8/23/12 Back to work
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
Old 09-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Mary Jo

I had the tattooing done at Sier Wellness in Mequon and the tattoing was maybe a year later...(I think). If you are asking if the tattooing hurt....no, it did not. I'm not sure if I shared with you that I had no feeling in the new breasts. Actually, I pretty much have no feeling from the breasts on down. If you are asking me if the DIEP hurt.......yes, it did...HOWEVER, it wasn't nearly as painful as some say it is. I have a high tolerance for pain, I am told, but I don't know if that's true either. How would I know, right? I was on heavy duty pain killers (percaset) for only a couple days and when I started seeing little martians told them that was enough of that crap. Only Tylenol after that. It was fine. Some pain, but nothing I couldn't live with.

Hope that helps.

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 09-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Unregistered

Smile Re: Anyone have the tummy tuck/reconstruction combo? (DIEP)

My experience is very similar-had reconstruction about 2 years after bilateral mastectomy. Have had no problems and I would definitely do it again. I had mine done at Elmbrook Hospital by Milwaukee, and was in the hospital for a few days with very little pain. I'm also a teacher so I had it done over summer, and 4 weeks after the surgery my husband and I took a vacation to Glacier National Park and did lots of walking. I also have basically no feeling on the breasts or along the abdomen, but that has never caused a problem. I would suggest anyone that is considering this surgery to get it done!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #6
harrie

I also had bilat DIEP abdominal tuck. Mary Jo did a great job in her analysis and I agree with most. I now have breasts that I never had before even prior to mastectomy. I was always very flat. I also had small implants put in for stage II.
The only thing I would have done differently in retrospect is to find out how much my ins would have paid. My plastic surgeon was nonpar and I ended up paying a LOT.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #7
Mary Jo

Thanks for mentioning the financial aspect Harrie...I never thought of that.

Thankfully, this surgery cost me nothing. With our new insurance it would have cost me 1000.00 (our new deductible) but at that time, it was nothing. So thankful.

Mary Jo

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 09-08-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
NEDenise

Thanks everybody!
What you've shared is what I was looking for. My surgery, and DIEP flap recon is scheduled for October 7th at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. I've had my other treatment there, and I'd recommend the hospital, and the staff highly! It takes me an hour each way to get there...in traffic...but it's worth every minute!

I'll be double checking to make sure everything is covered by insurance. So far, I've been okay, but I don't need the shock of a huge bill later! Thanks, Harrie, for reminding me of that possibility.

Be well! And thanks, again!
Denise
11/11 radiation x28
7/10/12 last Herceptin
8/23/12 Back to work
Old 09-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
TriciaV

HI,
I had the the double Tram Flap Reconstruction method and I LOVE my new breasts, I also have NO feeling from the breasts down and I had nipple reconstruction done as well, I live near Los Angeles (plastic surgery capital lol) But if I could do it over again I would do the DIEP method instead as with the Tram Flap... I lost my Core strength and I do miss that. My husband and I prior to cancer played together on a street hockey Team, I played softball and rollerbladed and all those things are very hard for me to do and very painful as my back does ALL the work now. I didn't realize at the time what a big effect losing my core muscle group would have on my young strong life (that was my thinking at the age of 31) I still can't get out of the bath from a laying relaxing position without something to pull up on to pull my upper body up with. My Doctor tried to tell me back then that if I was very active that the DIEP would be the better route to go...but somehow I attributed that surgery to being a worse surgery than the Double Tram and well..... I was young and anxious to get my breasts back and move on with life. I do love the way they look though and feel!!!
Mammo and Ultrasound found 3 seperate masses largest being 7cm. Dr was sure they were an old breast infection, gave me antibiotics and sent me on my way. after three months of 4 rounds of antibiotics and fighting with the Dr. Finally had a 2nd Dr listen to me and had surgery
1/4/07 Surgical biopsy done :-(
DX stage 3c IDC er+ pr+ Her2+++ 31 years old
2 rounds ACH 6 rounds CTH ,a little healing time and then Mastectomy w/lymph node dissection, 9/27 positive nodes, a little more healing time
5/07 started another 6 rounds of cleanup chemo of CTH- Carboplatin, Taxotere and Herceptin
started Tomoxafin 9/07, Also declared NED 9/07
2009-Lymphedema- sleeve and glove
6-26-11 X-rays show suspicious spot on right 6th rib
8-25-11 another round of X-rays ordered, which also showed same spot on right 6th rib
9-1-11 Onc had bone scan done
TriciaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
NEDenise

Wow, Tricia!
You've had quite a journey for someone so young! Thanks so much for sharing your "love" of your new breasts. It's a relief for me to hear that. I have been concerned that I would be stuck with these new breasts...and that they wouldn't look and feel like part of me. I really, really appreciate your openness, and honesty.
Your kids are so fortunate to have you for their mom!
Stay strong!
Denise
11/11 radiation x28
7/10/12 last Herceptin
8/23/12 Back to work
Old 09-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #11
mimi1952

I had reconstruction with bilateral tram and nipple reconstruction a year ago and I could not be more pleased. Had it done at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. No feeling with breasts and stomach, but small price to pay!
5cm plus dcis left breast
2+nodes of 11
bilateral mastectomy
ACT herceptin 1 year
37 rads
immediate reconstruction w/implants but failed due to radiated side
2009 CT shows 4mm ground glass left lung and developed sarcoidosis.
2010 CT shows 5 mm ground glass left lung
delayed reconstruction bilateral tram
2011 CT shows 5 mm ground glass left lung
NED Sept 2011
2011 PET shows 2 new ground glass opacities in left lung. Will run new scans in 6 months
2012 PET is stable: 4 years NED
mimi1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
Margaret Eleanor

I had bilateral DIEP reconstruction about 7 weeks ago. I would do it all over again without hesitation...but only with the right surgeon. I had my DIEP surgery six months after MRM. I wouldn't call it a surgical complication, but I did end up getting shingles about a week after I had surgery which has slowed down my recovery.

I do want to caution you about one thing though...listen VERY carefully to the options presented by the plastic surgeon that you choose. You only have the option to get what your surgeon offers. I met with a total of four plastic surgeons before I finally decided who to go with. All four performed DIEP, but two of them would not consider a DIEP for me. They would only offer a muscle sparing free TRAM flap...which is still a TRAM flap...to me based on a CT scan of my pelvis and abdomen. These two particular surgeons are in the same practice, assist each other and otherwise work very closely together. These same two surgeons had originally offered implants as an option for me only to pull them off the table with the DIEP at the last minute. I had to let these two guys go. I felt like they couldn't make up their minds and I just I could not stand the thought of either one of them touching me asleep or awake. I need a more confident surgeon. The third surgeon would not do a DIEP reconstruction for one year after radiation.

The fourth surgeon, who I drove six hours to meet, said he never takes away the DIEP option until he sees the veins and arteries and measures the blood flow. He did prepare me that once I was asleep he could end up doing a muscle sparing free tram flap on me, but it was a very small chance. He was confident and caring. I chose him to do my DIEP...which ended up a true DIEP.

Good Luck to you! I hope you love your new girls as much as I'm loving mine (we named them Chrissy, in honor of my plastic surgeon, and Shea, in honor of the location of my cancer treatment center; I thought they deserved more than just left and right).
Margaret Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:20 AM   #13
NEDenise

Hi everyone,
I saw my surgeon yesterday for my pre-op visit. While I was there, I spoke to the office "expert" on insurance. She told me that there is now a federal law that forces insurance companies to pay the full cost of reconstruction (minus any co-pays, or deductibles) so I'm good to go! Glad I asked first though! Thanks again for the reminder, Maryanne!
Surgery is set for Friday, Oct. 7th...wish me luck!
God bless!
Denise
11/11 radiation x28
7/10/12 last Herceptin
8/23/12 Back to work
Old 09-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #14
Soccermom

Cool Re: Anyone have the tummy tuck/reconstruction combo? (DIEP)

Hi Denise!
I had delayed (2 1/2 years) bilateral "stacked" DIEP (utilized both love handles and abdominal fat) in 2007-8.
I would highly recommend buying the book, "The Reconstruction Guidebook " by Kathy Steligo. Kathys book is considered the "bible" of breast reconstruction.
She points out many aspects of the process that aren't thought of by the average person doing their initial research.
Another great source of info are the message boards for recon on the
www.breastcancer.org website ..
Please feel free to contact me if you have any ???s

The law that was referenced is the Womens Health & Cancer Rights Act (WHRA) which states that insurance must pay for reconstruction. It DOES NOT mean that your insurer will be force to pay all of the associated costs at 100%.
PLEASE do your homework carefully to avoid any unpleasant surprises in the mail.( Anesthesiologists, hospital etc all bill separately,FYI)
Warmly,
Marcia

Last edited by Soccermom; 09-22-2011 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Wrong info
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diep, reconstruction, tummy tuck