HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Lida

SCARY TIMES! Doxil vs. Herceptin,Taxatere, & Carbo

I want to wish all of you a good Thanksgiving and send wishes to you for the best of health in the coming year.
This Thanksgiving has been the WORST time for me. (fighting several yrs) On Herceptin/Gemzar , my CEA just tripled in a month, my liver enzymes are still elevated (except bilirubin), and I get intermitent nausea, even 7 days past Gemzar!

It is SCARY because I need a powerful treatment with fast results! I am comparing 2 options. I am looking at Doxil as I never had it. It is synergistic with Herceptin, and a small study says it is pretty safe with Herceptin. Anyone else have Doxil with Herceptin? Anyone like the Doxil option? I am also looking at Herceptin, Taxatere (I had upon diagnosis of stage iv) with Carboplatinum. (I would not choose Taxol as I already have used it to the maximum which was 3 times!) Anyone like this option?

Has anyone had the Top2a test?

I think you are a group of smart, strong women and I respect your opinions and love the comaradarie of this group. Hoping to hear from my her2 friends in my time of need! Lida
Lida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Becky

Dear Lida

I am very sorry that you have not had good results yet. I have not taken Doxil but it is Adriamycin that is processed in a different way. Have you taken Adriamycin (or a sister drug Epirubicin)? If so, did you have good results?

Taxotere is a taxane. You took Taxol and you said you took it three times therefore you must have gotten some results with Taxol. If so, taxanes work well for you and Taxotere may work well. Carboplatin added to it with Herceptin is a good combination.

Top2A is a gene located near the Her2 gene on a strand of DNA. About one third of the time, when Her2 is overexpressed (meaning it has too many copies) then Top2A may have too many copies too. If you get your tumor tested and it is Top2A overexpressed, the anthracyclins (ie:Adriamycin, Doxil, Epirubicin) can work extra good (they still work if you aren't but they work extra well if you are).

Another thing to consider with Doxil is the potential for heart problems especially if you need to keep trying different chemos and or if you have to keep on chemo indefinitely. It is just a thought to ask your onc about.

Big hug to you

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Smile Lida

Thinking and praying for you to combat this all with grace and ease. Please update us when you find out what you decision is. If you look at my husband's bio below, he has had some of these drugs as you and Becky have mentioned. Taxotere worked well for a long time, kept the man on the right tract for a while.

I will be watching your journey and keeping you shielded in my heart while you make these hard decisions. Thinking positive thoughts for your next tribulation to kick the tail out of these very unwelcomed cancer cells. Go away to them all!!>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
doh2pa
Deceased

Hi Lida,

I think both of these are good options. I've done both and found the doxil to be harder but everyone is different. Some folks have a pretty easy time with doxil and I am only getting it once every 28 days which is nice. And you don't loose your hair.
Mastectomy 4/04 - 4 rounds AC
9/05 - mets to liver treated with carbo/ixabipelone/herceptin
3/06 - complete remission
9/06 - new liver mets, starting Taxotere/Herceptin
1/07 -Liver mets stable, staying on Herceptin
5/07 - Liver, lung progression - starting T/X
12/07 - Liver, lung progression - starting weekly Navilbene/Herceptin
4/08 - Liver progression - started Abraxane, Carbo, Tykerb and Herceptin
7/08 - Liver Progression - started Gemzar, Avastin and Tykerb
10/08 - Liver progression - starting Doxil
doh2pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
DanaRT

Lida, I don't know that much about Doxil but I did well on the Taxotere/Carboplatin combo. Hang in there.
I continue to be amazed at the wealth of information one can gather at this site..and so quickly too.
Dana

"Keep pushing forward" Christopher Reeves

]
Diagnosed - Nov. 2, 2007 at 45
Lumpectomy - Nov. 13, 2007
Tumor 1.2 cm
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR - Her2 +++ (3.8)
Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin- 6 rounds
Neulasta
Radiation 33 treatments - will be done 6/6/08
Herceptin through 12/08
12/07 MUGA 61%, 4/08 MUGA 60%, 7/08 MUGA 64%
three wonderful daughters, a terrific husband,
Life is Good
DanaRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
Lida

Scary Times Doxil Vs. Herceptin/taxatere/carbo

Donna and group, Thanks for the messages so far. It is so tough trying to get a fast treatment response, but also considering toxicity. I have to make the decision real soon, so I am grateful for ANY INPUT you may have! Donna, what type of side effects do you get on Doxil? Are you on Doxil by itself? Donna and group, what kind of side effects do you see on Carboplatinum? Lida
Old 11-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
Lida

Scary Times Doxil Vs. Herceptin/taxatere/carbo

Donna and group, Thanks for the messages so far. It is so tough trying to get a fast treatment response, but also considering toxicity. I have to make the decision real soon, so I am grateful for ANY INPUT you may have! Donna, what type of side effects do you get on Doxil? Are you on Doxil by itself? Donna and group, what kind of side effects do you see on Carboplatinum? Lida
Old 11-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
Unregistered

combo

I might be careful with the Doxil combined with Herceptin if you would like to be on Herceptin long term as the combo can be hard on the heart and if MUGA goes too low they will have to take you off the Hercepti.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
freyja

Tch

Dear Lida,
All I can say is Taxotere, Carboplatinum and Herceptin is working really, really well for me. I have one treatment of the T and C left (out of 6), and about 8 months of herceptin left, and my tumor has shrunk from 3 quadrants of the breast to almost non-existent. I've also had relatively few side-effects. Just some constipation, heartburn, metallic taste and dry mouth, drippy nose. No nausia or vomitting. I even still have my period (great for me since I'm only 31 years old)...of course I did lose my hair, though.

Everyone's so different though. I don't know the specifics of your case, but my tumor was HER-2 3+, ER+, PR-, stage IIIa, grade 2.

That's my two cents. Hope this is helping somehow. We all have our battles in life, but we can't fight them alone.
Love, Celeste

"Dancers Against Cancer" in the Eugene, OR Komen Race for the Cure 2010
Diagnosed 8/7/08 with stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma, micropapillary pattern, Her2 3+, ER+,PR-, grade II, positive lymph nodes.
Received 6doses of Taxotere, Carboplatin with Herceptin continuing for a year...DONE.
1/28/09 Left Modified Radical Mastectomy, Right Simple Mastectomy.
Surgery pathology: No invasive carcinoma present and 17 lymph nodes removed all negative! Only small amount of carcinoma in situ in left breast.
March/April '09, Radiation to left chest wall.
Currently involved in Neratinib clinical trial.

"Well being I won
and wisdom too,
I grew and joyed in my growth;
from a word to a word
I was led to a word
from a deed to another deed." (Odin)

freyja is offline   Reply With Quote