HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-13-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
Her2nSue

Unhappy Chaulk up another story to chemo brain

Hi Gang,

I know we have all discussed the fog that we seem to be traveling inbetween all our chemo and herceptin treatments, but I have to share this one with you. Just as I was beginning to feel a little less foggy....I was in the process of putting goodwill items in the hatch back of my pacifica on Wed. and turned around to shoo all the cats out of the garage (live on a farm with cats that like to play "in the garage, out of the garage" whenever possible). Got the last cat out, I hop into the car look over my shoulder and start backing out...CRUNCH...I was absolutely dumbfounded as to what I could have run into. Cats don't make that loud of a noise. I FORGOT TO PUT THE HATCH DOWN! I just couldn't believe it. I ran the hatch right into the garage door. I've never done anything so ridiculous and feel so stupid at the same time. OLD ladies do these things, not us younger ones, who used to have a sharp mind, quick wit, fogless memory and can't wait to get it all back again.

Just wanted to share my story and dismay with you all. I'm keepin on truckin and adding another chemo brain story to my others.

Sue
p.s. Husband took the news very well and was glad to have had the accident in the garage rather than anyplace else. No one got hurt but my pride
Her2nSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
MGordon

It is the thought that counts!

Sue -
Chemo brain or not - it is the thought and spirit that counts! You were thinking of others and taking items to charity!

Lisa had several similar issues, and they are all endearing! Once her Onc ordered a whole series of tests and she forgot to schedule them! The following Monday, she called Rose at the scheduling office and she "re-arranged" several doctors schedules to accomodate the tests. A few days later Rose called to thank Lisa for the flowers. Lisa swore she did not send her flowers, but when we checked with tthe florist - sure enough she had!

We can fondly remember these issues with chemo brain or just LIFE. Once my Dad told me that if a family vacation went perfect we never talked about it. We always talked about and have family memories of the vacation when the tent leaked or the car broke down. Years later this still holds true when my sisters and I sit down and remember.

Lisa hated "transitioning" from a super-sharp business woman to a forgetful lady, and it sounds like there is a whole lot of similarity here. All that really mattered is she remembered to LOVE. You were thinking of others and taking items to a charity - thats the thought process that was important!

Thank you for being you.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:46 AM   #3
Kimberly Lewis

join the club...

After 34 years of driving pretty well - I had a collision with my mailbox! In broad daylight, after grabbing the mail backed up too close to the boxes and WHAM. Had to laugh, cause otherwise would have cried. My wonderful husband did the same...

Diagnosed 7/05
Stage 3a er+(45%) pr+(68%) Her2+ (40%)
3.8 cm + .8cm multi focal - pleomorphic lobular tumors
high grade DCIS
7/20 nodes

BRCA 2
positive as of 5/07
surgeries: double mastectomy, hysterectomy (LAVH)
A/C,Herceptin for 1 year completed 11/06
femara

Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
rinaina

We have all probably had similar experiences, I know I have had my share of mishaps, lapses or whatever you wish to call them. However, to keep things in perspective, I have non cancer friends, so no chemo brain there, and they have done similar things, so it isn't just us. Take heart that we are not the only ones experiencing these, shall we call them, mistakes!
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
Her2nSue

Wink Thank You

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your thoughtful posts.

Mel, your post was very touching to my soul. Thank you for finding a moment to respond. I hope you are doing well. I know you've been on a very rough road with being supportive, caring, loving and grieving all at the same time knowing you are going to loose Lisa and you couldn't do anything more to stop it from happening. I've been there too, many years ago at the age of 27. I had lost my husband to cancer, six months from dx to when his body gave up the horrible fight. And now the shoe is on the other foot. So often I have thought of my late husband and how I now can really relate to how he felt back then. Time and love do continue on. Some days it feel like it's been only yesterday and here it's going on 23 years. Again, thank you for your thoughtful words and perspective on my chemo brain moment. I send you a hug of friendship and support, from one whose been there and back, and currently in the same fight myself.

Sue
Her2nSue is offline   Reply With Quote