HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-02-2004, 04:53 PM   #1
Marcy

I was shocked to read an abstract in Tuesday, March 2nd BCN News that stated that the response rate to Herceptin for Her2 patients was only 30%. Based on the good results I've read on this message board, I had assumed that the response rate was much higher.
Here is a bit of the ABSTRACT: Development of Herceptin resistance in breast cancer
cells
[03/02/2004; Cytometry]

Background: Herceptin, a humanized antibody to HER-2, is now utilized
in the clinic for metastatic breast cancer treatment. The response
rate for HER-2+ patients is only 30% and little is known as to
mechanisms of resistance. The mechanism of Herceptin action is
also unknown but has been related to cell cycle inhibition.
The full article can be read at: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin...74/ABSTRACT
Old 03-02-2004, 10:28 PM   #2
patty z

This is one of the reasons I stopped the Herceptin alone after I finished Navelbine/Herceptin combination 15 mos. ago. I want to be able to start 'fresh' should I need to in the future.

In combination with a number of chemo agents, the response rate jumps to 70-80%. Big difference.

Plus, since I am still NED in body from the combination, the Herceptin wouldn't do anything for my brain mets anyway. I've always looked at Herceptin as an 'add on', rather than a 'stand alone' treatment option.

pattyz
Old 03-03-2004, 12:36 AM   #3
Sandy

This is how my oncologist uses it. Not so much alone but with a chemo. I was on it alone and had recurrence 5 months later so he said, "lets save it and use it with chemo when you need it and we will save your heart as well". We knew it was only 30% alone. Some doctors may disagree with that. Hugs, Sandy
Old 03-03-2004, 01:16 AM   #4
Kathy from Ohio

Beth,
I've been on Herceptin alone--with Arimidex only since Feb.0/3 for recurrance after a remission of 19 years. Mets to bones and lung--stable since then with just Herceptin. I'd like to know of any others out there who have been treated like this. No plans to add chemo till this tx. fails.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:18 AM   #5
Beth

I would like to hear from any of the women who are in remission using Herceptin only and for how many months have they been NED? My Onc plans on using it alone after Taxol/Herceptin combo when I show NED. 30%, does that mean 70% of women do not respond to Herceptin alone for treatment to stay NED?
Old 03-03-2004, 01:30 AM   #6
Beth P

I have been on herceptin alone following chemo since june 00 and have been ned since.