HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-05-2004, 02:37 PM   #1
Jean

My lung mets were treated last June with Taxotere/herceptin for 7 mons, good response started in Sep.(3 mons),CT showed overall diminution of small ones, big one from 1cm to 9cm. CA27,29 down from 30 in 9/26/04,26 in 10/23/04, 9 in 11/9/04 in late Nov. In later Dec.(12/31/03) CT found fluid arround the right lung , and a new .5mm nodule found on left side of lung, ca jump up to 38, 2 weeks later to 58. when schedule to drain the fluid in late Jan. it was mostly absorbed, so only 5cc was taken out to test for cancer cells, and was told negative. Swiched on Navelbine/herceptin since feb.04, after 4 treatment in 1 month(2wks on, 1wk off), (3/1/04)CT scan showed increase of fluid on right lung, and the 5mm one unchanged. Anyone had experience? Can the fluid came from chemo other than from cancer? Any imput? Thanks!
Old 03-06-2004, 12:24 AM   #2
Ron

Jean,

My wife also has Lung mets. Cyndi's first chemo this time around was Taxotere + Herceptin. The combo was working well but then fluid began around lungs and heart. Fluid was drained (one Liter from one side) and removed from chemo for a few weeks. Fluid was tested, no cancer cells.

Started back on Taxol as it does not contribute to fluid as severely as Taxotere, Cyndi also had other side effects. Kept on Taxol alone for about a month then added Herceptin again and fluid began to collect. Removed the Herceptin and will not try again until chemo is finished.

Conclusion: Herceptin does cause unacceptable fluid build-up in some patients. The Taxanes are working for Cyndi to reduce the tumors. Herceptin may not be a "magic bullet" for everyone. Herceptin is at least a place to start, and an even better preventative drug may be just around the corner.

I hope this helps you with your decision.
God Bless You,
ron

Old 03-06-2004, 07:14 AM   #3
Jean

Thank you very much, Ron. I remembered I had fluid the first time when I had texotere/herceptin, plus I had a very bad cold which caused me fever but was controlled by antibody. The CT of 12/31 was done right after the cold. When I swiched to nevelbin/herceptin, they gave me hercetin 3 wks dosage one time, since my navelbin was given 2 wks on, 1 week off. and this CT(3/1/04) was done after 2 times having hercetin like this. I 've already asked my chemo swiched to 3 on, 1 off again this week, then the herceptin was back to 1 dosage every wk. Hope the fluid will go away by itself. I will have another CT in 2 mons to ck if the chemo works and also if the fluid desappear. Thank you again for your help! Another question, when cyndi drained her fluid( 1 liter is a lot!), did she have breath problem? I did not have any breath problem yet, so dr. said just leave it for now, but is it bad not to take care of the fluid? Is the fluid come back after you draining it? I mean for cyndi's condition? How the dr. monitor it, only by CT? or by symptom? Ron, this is too much detailed question, hope you do not mind. I have to tell you that cyndi is very very lucky lady to have you as husband. Your caring will help her a lot to stay strong for the battle. I have a lovly husband he did love me so much but was used to be taken cared by me, and I am still for now physically strong enough to take care of myself and the family. I was told a very strong woman, but I do feel deep inside I need caring especialy when this bc back again. Please cobntinue your help for cyndi you will be greatly appreciatted. Bless cyndi and your family.

Jean
Old 03-06-2004, 08:59 AM   #4
Lolly

Jean,
If you don't mind me jumping in here, I just want to let you know that a lot of us use the support offered by all the wonderful people on this board so our families can "take a break", because for us the worry and concern never goes away and it helps to come here and share our concerns with people we know will understand. So don't forget someone's always here...well, almost always. Sometimes at 3 a.m. I log on when I can't sleep, and then it's pretty quiet!
Hugs,
Lolly

Old 03-07-2004, 04:23 AM   #5
Linda in MI.

Ron,

Does your wife have a lot of shortness of breath? Have you considered the lung talc procedure? I have had the lung talc on the left and I'm still having fluid build-up on the right. My left was successful 80%--I have a little bit of fluid trapped in the lung from my previous lung mets but hopefully the navalbine will take care of this.
I'm on oxygen and I'm hoping and praying I will be off of it in another couple weeks. It makes me feel so helpless. THe surgery was quite an ordeal to go through and now I have the fluid on the right side to deal with!!. I WANT REMISSION!!! In the middle of Jan. my scans were clean--I was NED for lung mets......now this.

Sounds like your wife is experiencing similar experiences. Please let me know what you think.

Blessings and Hugs,

LInda in MI.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:49 PM   #6
Ron

Linda in MI,

Yes, Cyndi does have considerable shortness of breath. It is not to the extent that she cannot work or take care of herself though. She has seen a pulmonologist on several occasions and he has only felt the need to drain the right lung on one occasion. She is taking Lasix and that seems to keep the fluid at bay. The talc procedure has not been considered as of this time, but at least I know to ask about it if the problems persist. As I said in earlier post, her onc. has the Herceptin on hold for now. It seems every time Herceptin is put back in the mix that the fluid and the shortness of breath returns. I am not familiar with Navelbine although I notice that many are using it especially in combo with Herceptin and several with liver mets.

I wish you the best in your struggle and will be praying for a long and lasting relationship with NED!

God Bless You,
ron