HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-30-2004, 12:00 PM   #1
jessica

Hi All~
First off, thank you so much for a warm welcome back to the board. I've been spending the past year trying re-adjust to life after 49 weeks of chemo, happily w/NED. Yet, with or without NED, I'm not sure why I stayed away...this is such a wonderful, nuturing, supportive place.Inspite of the current circumstances, I'm comforted to have such a safe place to come back.
As things have turned out, NED has gone AWOL-for now. I'm experiencing a recurrence after 1 year of NED.It's a small one-11mm in my liver-only one, Thank God, but a recurrence nonetheless.I've already started back on Taxol/Herceptin-2nd wkly tx today.T/H was the combo that got me to NED last year, so we all have high hopes & grand optimism & expectation for the same results. I am also researching having RFA.Unfortunately I'm not a candidate for straight RFA b/c the lesion is only 4mm from the Vena Cava & I'm told it has to be atleast 1cm from a major blood vessell.So now I'm researching IntraOperative RFA, possible Alcohol Ablation or Acetic Acid Ablation. Anyone have any wisdom to share?
I am adamant that I want to combine some type of surgical intervention, like RFA, w/chemo.It just seems like a much more efficient approach.I'm grateful to have some chemo to clean up any insidious creatures floating around, but I would really like to keep my hair this winter! I've gone 2 consecutive winters without hair and I'm not interested in doing that again!My understanding is if I have RFA(of some type)I may only have to do 4 txs of Taxol/Herceptin.That would be grand!
Since discovery of this new spot, I've been researching like crazy. As it turns out there is a link between Insulin resistance & breast cancer recurrence.After struggling w/continuous weight gain, fatigue, sluggishness, just overall not feeling like myself(all symps of insulin resistance) and being put-off by my onc, I pursued a ton of tests w/an Endocrinologist, I have tested positive for insulin resistance.I was quite shocked & frustrted to find all the information about the positive link between insulin resistance & breast cancer resistance & mortality.Additionally, I discovered an article on the ASCO website that indicates insulin growth factor can block herceptin receptors, rendering herceptin (in the face of insulin resistance & increased insulin growth factor in the blood stream)ineffective. THAT IS HUGE NEWS FOR ALL OF US HERE.
I brought the info to my onc, but she's been out due to her father's passing, so I haven't gotten any feed back. I'll keep you posted.
Hope this note finds all of you in good spirits & peace.Take good care to all & continued
Prayers, Faith & Courage!
Jessica
ps-lolly-i don't know how to link the article re:insulin growth factor to this site.may i email them to you to be posted here?thanks.j
Old 09-30-2004, 12:06 PM   #2
Velva

jessica,
Welcome back, this is a wonderful board. Sorry about you reoccurence, but you sound "very on top othings." You'll find NED againsoon!
Old 10-02-2004, 04:31 AM   #3
Steph N

Jessica wrote: "I pursued a ton of tests w/an Endocrinologist, I have tested positive for insulin resistance.I was quite shocked & frustrted to find all the information about the positive link between insulin resistance & breast cancer resistance & mortality.Additionally, I discovered an article on the ASCO website that indicates insulin growth factor can block herceptin receptors, rendering herceptin (in the face of insulin resistance & increased insulin growth factor in the blood stream)ineffective. THAT IS HUGE NEWS FOR ALL OF US HERE."

Your story IS an eye-opener. May explain why some patients did not do well like myself in my clinical trials and after.
Would like to clarify: Does the insulin resistance mean that you tend to put on weight and what might be symptoms of this problem??

About the liver lesion. Chances are VERY good that the Taxol will kick its butt in no time. Keep us posted on the RFA or other possibility along that line. No hair is No fun especially if you live in a cold climate in winter. BUT, you stated the reason you are on chemo - to shut down any more bad cells that are out there looking for friends to party with at some nice spot on your bones or other organs.
One more question? What were your tumor marker numbers while NED and now?