HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
Sheila

Leg Problems on Taxol Avastin Herceptin

Just wondering if any one has had leg problems while on Taxol or Avastin ...I know its not the Herceptin, I've been on it for 4 years! My legs ache so bad (Worse at night), and this starts about 2 days after a treatment of the above cocktail...they ache from the knee down and my feet...honestly, I was up till 4am this morning...I ususally get up and put TED hose on...sometimes it helps, sometimes not...last night I could not even stand to have anything touch my legs...Advil, Tylenol...no help...any solutions??? I feel like I have run a marathon...

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
Jean

Sheila,
I had muscle ache after my treatments, (not after herceptin trt) but the TC portion. Strange that it would flare at night for me also. I would take advil which helped slightly. My husband would message my legs and feet and taking very warm baths seem to help. I even used a heating pad under my legs which was helpful.

Hope some of this may be helpful.
Kind Regards,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Aangelnxtc

Hello, finished FEC-HD 6/22/07, Finished Taxol w/herceptin 9/28/07. Wednesday was my second 3 week dose of herceptin. I Have been on it since 4/20/07. I am having terrible pain in my legs. Doubled from first 3 week dose. Didnt have this problem until 3 week dose started. I told my Doc and she referred me to pain management so she must know that it is a problem. I didnt have the pain while I was weekly. On Herceptin only.
Hope this helps.

PS over the counter ain meds dont work for my pain, and also worsein the evening. I have gotten terrible arm tremors and cant contol useing it,
Went for brain mri 2-day All testing NED cant wait for Monday for thrm to tell me my brain is neg. Then I can say I AM WOMAN HEAR ME ROAR-I AM NED.

GOD SPEED TO YA ALL, ANGELA

IBC ER/PR- HER2+++
Aangelnxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
Julie2

Shiela,

I used to have this leg pain same as you described when I was on Navelbine and Herceptin. Severe ache in the foot. Mortin used to help me.

Julie
Old 11-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #5
Gerri

Hi Shelia,

I had exactly what you are describing when I was on Taxol. My treatments were every other Friday and I knew that on the following Tuesday my legs would be numb from the knees down. They would get slightly better after a few days until the next time around. Chemo ended for me well over a year ago but I still have neuropathy in my legs, especially if they are tired. I too have trouble sleeping at night at times, but fortunately Advil does help somewhat. I have a feeling I have some permanent nerve damage that I will just have to deal with. I remember reading something about glutanine powder for neuropathy but never looked into it.

I know this has been such a long road for you. I truly admire your tenacity and upbeat spirit as you continue to fight.

Best regards,

ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
Becky

Dear Sheila

I had incredible leg pain from Taxol - electrifying, shooting type pains. Like Jean, I soaked in a tub alot and my husband rubbed my legs. I also felt that lying around (common at night - duh) made everything worse. It was better moving around.

No over the counter painkiller worked for me and I never got a script for anything else.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
mke

I got neuropathy from taxol, and I've never been able to explain how my feet can both be numb and hurt, but they do. What helps me a bit is to soak my feet and ankles in warm water and epsom salts before bed. If I do that and take magnesium and potassium I am less likely to have leg cramps and my feet seem less sensitive. I usually sleep with my feet sticking out from under the bedding, but it's getting a bit nippy for that. I'm seriously considering having my son build me a frame to keep the blankets off my feet. I sometimes take Advil too. And sometimes Glenlivet.
mke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #8
Lolly

Sheila, I had really bad leg and foot pain on Taxol, years ago. My onc prescribed Neurontin, plus he said I could take regular Tylenol on top of that as needed. This combo did help, but didn't eliminate the pain completely, just made it bearable.

Since starting Taxotere, I've had similar leg pain at night the day of and for several days after treatment, and this time I asked for a script for Hydrocodone. I usually only need one at bedtime on the nights I have pain severe enough that I know extra-strength Tylenol won't do the job and I know I won't be able to sleep. Hydrocodone takes care of it, but I try not to take it more often than 2-3 nights in a row(usually only need it one or two nights) as then it brings on feelings of depression. It's a strong pain med, but it works wonders for me.

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote