HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
MJo

Shall We All Go To Pot?

<TABLE class=lt14 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="97%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=lt14>

From several news reports...
A compound found in cannabis known as CBD may prevent breast cancer spreading to other parts of the body and be a realistic alternative to chemotherapy, scientists believe. However, the study carried out by the California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute does not advocate marijuana use among cancer patients. It said it was unlikely that the right concentrations of CBD could be achieved through smoking cannabis. CBD fights the disease by stopping the activity of a gene called Id-1, which is believed to be responsible for the spread of cancer cells from the site of the original tumor -- a process known as metastasis. The study found CBD had this affect on breast cancer cells in a laboratory.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
PinkGirl

Wink Pot

That would be one way to keep
us all happy and smiling

Might even make the MRI's easier !

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink No Smoking Allowed...

Rather than smoke it, which my lungs and I am opposed to, we could -- MAKE BROWNIES. Even more fun!

Does increase appetite though... Which is a big plus for some. Not me, unfortunately.

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
PinkGirl

Cool the munchies

Andi,
I was just thinking about that - the increased appetite.
The bag of Oreos was always the first to go (that's what
I've been told )

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
lilyecuadorian

I hope my daugther dosent whach this news .(she is 17 year old ) ...so manys will take this like a excuse ...like me when I was in my 20's
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:46 PM   #6
hutchibk

No thanks. I enjoy having brain cells.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:49 AM   #7
Jade

If you care about your brain cells, then don't drink alcohol either

Alcohol is a Class 1 drug (yup, together with cocaine and heroin) in terms of damage to individuals and society. Marijuana is No. 9 on this list, No. 10 being the least harmful. This won't be popular with the many "responsible" people who would never touch drugs (but who drink regularly), but the truth is, whether you want to admit it or not, alcohol is the enemy, not pot. Unlike alcohol, pot does not make people violent or unable to remember what they did while under the influence. This is a fact. Alcohol kills brain cells by depleting the brain of oxygen which causes massive brain cell destruction. So, if you don't want brain cell death, you're going to have to give up your daily tipple as well!!!

I suppose there's always tea (of course with no sugar as sugar feeds cancer cells). Gee, life's sounding like more fun all the time!

Cyber hugs,
Jade
Aug.05 - began Herceptin every 3 weeks for 1 year
Aug.06 - ended treatment
NED
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
Verna

Lets see....hmmmmm pot killing brain cells or chemo killing brain cells?

Brownies are sounding pretty good right now.

Have a nice Thanksgiving all you wonderful ladies!
mastectomy Feb.14,2006
4 taxol
mets to liver
5 weeks radiation
Herceptin/Zometa
reconstruction Feb.14,2007 (DEIP)
Tykerb/Xeloda
TDM1 study
Verna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 AM   #9
kimber

Cool

I am up for the brownies!

Happy Thanksgiving girls!!
double mastectomy
4DD AC - 16 weekly Taxol
6 months Herceptin - stopped due to MUGA
35 chest wall rads
Tamoxifen
Lat flap with silicone implant reconstruction on left side due to radiation. "Normal" silicone on right. Finished all reconstruction 6-07!!!
kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 AM   #10
MJo

Sorry ladies, but apparently they refine the marijuana it and give the drug to you intravenously. It has absolutely no "mood enhancement" effect.
If this turns out to be an effective drug, I can't imagine how they will protect the acres of marijuana for medicinal use from poachers.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
hutchibk

"This won't be popular with the many "responsible" people who would never touch drugs (but who drink regularly), but the truth is, whether you want to admit it or not, alcohol is the enemy, not pot."

Just curious, and not to be sarcastic or confrontational, but is there something wrong with being responsible that it needs to be in "quotations"?

I have worked many years in my life with alcohol abusers, pot abusers and drug abusers. The damage to brain cells is interchangeable in my experience. Is it possible that they are all the enemy when abused? JMHO.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Last edited by hutchibk; 11-21-2007 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: refine thoughts
Old 11-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #12
jones7676

Location: I live in Christmas, MI - located on the shores of Lake Superior.
The only thing that I am afraid of is that this possibly wonderful treatment option will not be available because our powerful and rich conservative left won't allow it. I would be very happy to receive this therapy tomorrow (given my diagnosis) - whether through IV, brownies or any other way they can find to deliver it to me. I will be watching closely to see how the government, researchers, pharm companies etc. handle this because hemp is the source.

10/03 Radical Mastectomy 3 cm tumor - 1/17 Nodes Stage II B, Her 2 +++ ER-/PR- 11/03 4 AC 4 Taxol 12/05 Stage IV - Lung met , Bone mets - Carbo, Taxotere, Herceptin 9/06 - 2 cm brain tumor 10/06 - Tumor removal surgery - Herceptin Halted 12/06 gamma knife tumor base.1/07 Navelbine/Herceptin 4/07 Rads to R femur 5/07 Stereotactic - new 2 cm brain tumor 4/07 Start Xeloda 5/07 Tykerb added 7/07 Brain MRI clean 10/07 .055 cm brain met found. 12/07 Stereotactic -1 cm brain tumor Start Tykerb 11/07 Abraxane/Herceptin 5/08 Cisplatin, Gemcitabine/Herceptin 6/08 Stereotactic to 1cm 9/08 Stereotactic repeat (growth). 11/08 Pet Scan Good but new tiny met on L lung/dead Brain surgery (no cancer cells found/scar tissue) 1/09 Chemo restarted 2/09 Pet Scan Bad - R larger very active/active L active lymph nodes both sides of chest MRI- mets slight increase 2/09 Start Doxil/Tykerb Treatment
jones7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #13
Jade

Hi Brenda,

No, of course being responsible is a great thing! But being a hypocrite is a bad thing. That's what the quotes were about but it didn't translate on paper. No offence, you are clearly a bright woman and I've always enjoyed your posts. What I meant was those people who consider themselves to be responsible citizens, scornful of those who use marijuana, while they get into their vehicles after a couple of glasses of wine and think nothing of driving their kids somewhere.
I absolutely agree with you that drugs and alcohol are all the enemy when abused, but my point was that when you compare the overall cost to our society, alcohol is a much larger issue than marijuana.
Now there's a new one for me.... What does JMHO mean?
Respectfully,
Jade
Aug.05 - began Herceptin every 3 weeks for 1 year
Aug.06 - ended treatment
NED

Last edited by Jade; 11-23-2007 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: clarification
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #14
hutchibk

Just my humble opinion...JMHO.

Thanks for the clarification Jade. Yes, being a hypocrite is a bad thing. I agree!! Personally, I'm not a hypocrite in this regard (perhaps in other regards, but I hope not...). I'm not a fan of illicit drug use, alcohol abuse or wasted drivers of any kind. (family member almost killed by extremely high and drunk driver several years ago). That's what works for me and my value system. I have friends who smoke pot and drink more than they should. At least they don't do it around me. I don't dislike them or judge them, I do worry about them, but I don't feel terribly sorry for them if it causes legal, health or relationship problems in their lives.

But, I digress and that is not the focus of this thread...

Let's get back to Mjo's original post!

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Last edited by hutchibk; 11-23-2007 at 11:12 AM..
Old 11-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #15
fullofbeans

Hi I have read a lot of good for THC against cancer spread indeed. Unfortunatly the research seemed slowed down by narrow minded attitude and by the fact that the real stuff was always better that what they could synthesised and therefore financially not viable (!)+the high effect was unacceptable...but from what this post seems to imply it may have changed..Yes I always found crazy that putting people through chemo is seen more socially acceptable than having people on a high..strange world we live in wouldn't you say?

MJo I could not find the research you mentioned would you have a link please? Thanks

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #16
Chelee

Fullofbeans, Here's a link that covers it.

http://www.healthcentral.com/breast-...195837-31.html

Hope it works?

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:12 AM   #17
fauxgypsy

I think as a society, we are a little bit hypocritical. Alcohol is legal, in spite of all the problems it causes. Marijuana is bad, it spite of the fact that there are proven medical uses of marijuana. Our reponse in fact as a people, is not backed up by this. I would suggest that it is very similar to the time of prohibition, when alcohol was made illegal, thus fueling the crime syndicates who found a way to provide it. I don't drink often. I don't at this point in my life, smoke anything. I have never smoked cigarettes and I have seen much more damage from cigarettes than pot. Any drug can be abused: an example would be caffeine. People take huge amounts to stay awake while driving long distances. It really bothers me that researchers are hindered in their efforts to develop medicines that could help many people because of concerns that are fueled more by propaganda that facts. By the way, the University of Mississippi has a legal marijuana field for the purpose of research.

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote