HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
Cristina19

Swollen ankles, other woes, and some "good" news, maybe

Hello Ladies,

I did a search on "swollen ankels" and see that it may not be so uncommon. Any new information on this side-effect?

Also, about eyes: my eyes have been dry (which doesn't surprise me since everything seems dry) but a few days ago I had a really disturbing glare in my field of vision that didn't go away quickly.

Fingernails appear bruised and sensitive. Middle fingernails on both hands most sensitive. I'm doing Vitamin E oil and tea tree oil (though perhaps not religiously).

Any thoughts or remedies?

I just had a MUGA and it was 62% after 4 treatments of TCH (down from 67%). My doctor didn't feel it was a significant drop. He may be right since I haven't been able to do any steady, hard exercise since surgery in June. BUT, my pulse does seem to be stronger than normal this time around (not fast and BP good).

Finally, I got my results from genetic testing: BRCA 1--one chemical switcheroo of "uncertain significance"--a mutation that is NOT one of the known breast cancer markers. BRCA 2 negative.

Any info will be appreciated.
Cristina
=)
Cristina19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Grace

Christina,

I had swollen feet, ankles through the full year that I was treated with herceptin--got really bad after last infusion. Very swollen. Good news is that within one-two months after I stopped hercepin, the swelling disappeared, and I could once again see bones in my ankles. I also had vision problems, which also began with herceptin. That seems to have improved as well. I wouldn't worry too much about swelling, as I remember from my posts that it's very common.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Chelee

Christina, I did TCH and about half way through chemo I started getting really bad swollen ankles, feet and the lower part of my legs. Super bad edema! I was concerned about heart problems from the herceptin even though my echo's were great. When my pulmonary doctor saw my ankles he had me run over to the hospital stat to see if I had clots. (That's how bad they were.) I had no clots and was put on lasix temporarily until I got through chemo. It was about 2 months after I finished chemo the swelling finally went away. Even when I was just doing the herceptin it was 100% better. I had minor swelling in ankles with herceptin...but not as bad as when I was doing the taxotere and carbpotin. So hang in there...I have a feeling it will pass when your done with your chemo. Of course keep an eye on it though and let your oncologist know.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
Debra

Christina -

I too had swollen ankles throughout my herceptin. It did go after very shortly after my last infusion.
Vision problems somewhat but not sure which drug may be the culprit.

Diag. 11/05 at age 40 triple positive
3.8 cm tumor and 9 mm tumor
Stage IIb/SN positive(no other nodes)Grade 3
Bilat. mastect. 12/05 (Rt.prophylactic) followed with AC/taxol/Herceptin/tamoxifen then switched to arimidex after hysterectomy in 12/06. August 07 switched to Aromasin due to severe jt. pain from Arimidex. Nov. 2011 No more meds and NED!
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:19 AM   #5
Cathya

Christina;

I also had terrible dry eyes during chemo. In any kind of light at all they bothered me....to the point that I had to pull the car over to the side of the road at times when driving.....drove me mad....my eyes would tear up something fierce. Wear sun glasses and carry eye drops (just water). However, it did clear up eventually. Your muga sounds alright to me. If it drops under 50 it is a problem.

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:18 AM   #6
suzan w

My very swollen ankles were back to normal within a few months of my last herceptin infusion. Somewhere back then I started a thread about swollen ankles...and alot of responses came back. perhaps you could find that? If I was more computer savvy I could probably find the link...but ...!!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:44 AM   #7
caya

Ah yes, the swollen ankles. Mine started during the Taxotere part of my chemo regime. It was mainly my left leg/ankle, and they sent me for 2 ultrasounds of my leg to make sure it was not a blood clot. Of course it was not a blood clot, and once I started Herceptin in June the swelling would still occur, although not as bad. My last MUGA was a 64.

So count me in as one of the swollen ones.

Another question - I'm 6 months out from chemo, and my hair is growing in very slowly, compared to other women I've seen. I've read that Herceptin can slow the growth rate - any comments would be appreciated.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
Grace

Caya,

I'm a year out from chemo and my hair grows very slowly. Before BC it grew very rapidly--too rapidly. It was a pain always getting hair cuts. Not any more. At this rate I won't need my hair cut for another six months. Probably herceptin!