HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-17-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
vickie h

TAKE CARE OF YOUR HEART (of hearts)

We have all exoerienced life's ups and downs, the better and the worse times, phases when everything seems to go right and when nothing does. We can debate all we want the whys and the wherefores of such stretches, and whether they relate to our way of thinking, or the alignment of the stars, or karma... whether it's pure dumb luck or whether there isn't any rhyme or reason at all. Some people put forth such statements with absolute certainty, as if each and every consequence conforms perfectly ans without contradiction to their models and descriptions of how and why the world is the way it is.
While I appreciate efforts to link cause and effect and the rewards that come with growing knowledge, wisdom and virtue, eventually I find myself tiring of exactitude and shunning precision in favor of a formless form that's bigger than pictures and pronouncements, mysterious and ever-the-same-and-changing.
So, when I meet someone as I did the other day who is so obviously in a place and time where everything is wonderful and magical and successful, though my predilection is to recognize and reinforce it and encourage it at the same time, I'm disinclined to explain it. But explain she did, at my urging and, surprisingly, not only was it easy to receive and accept her explaination, but I believed her and was, in fact, affected by her account.
The reason, according to this woman, who is gliding along on a glorious wave, for the great and good fortune that has found her and for why things work out so well and wonderfully is because she is unrelenting and uncompromising in the pursuit of her own path and in following her heart. Only when she said it, it was alot bigger than "on yeah, I follow my heart." In her case it seemed the barometer and the principal upon which all actions and decisions rested.
She maintained that if some offered, opportunity appeared as if it might keep her from being truly and fully who and what she is or prevent her from doing exactly and whatever she wants to do right now and not at some point off in the future, then she would not choose it. I believed her.
Conversely, She claims to choose and do only that which reverberates-physically, psychically, karmically, emotionally, causally, and any and every other which way-in her heart, and which sets her soul a-flutter. For me, she said, that is what it means to take care of your heart, and if you take care of it, it will take care of you.
I thought about our conversation and our encounter and all the things we let impinge upon ourselves. I thought about the forces that tug at us from the inside, which may pertain less to the physical heart and more to the inner heart, the core of our being, or what some people call the heart of hearts. Any consideraton of health is incomplete without adequate attention to this non-material center of force and feeling which, like the hand inside the glove or the inner self, is the real mover and shaker.
We can be disciplined about the food we eat, the amount of rest we get and our exercise program, and heedful of our heredity, and all the other factors affecting our health, but if we do not take into account the things that we absolutely know about ourselves, our reasons for being and breathing and taking up space, the things that fuel our love and cause the heart within to start vibrating, then there shall be a strain, a stress, which presents a true and actual threat to our health and well-being, and our joyous living. With love and peace, Vickie

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Feb 04 IBC IIIC/IV er-/pr- her2+++
3/04 TCH X4
7/ 04 MRM 9/04 Taxol/herceptin wkly 1 yr 33X rads
11/04 skin mets 33x rads,10/05 Avast/Herc. 11 mos.
8/ 06 PET mets lymphs, neck
9/ 06 Navelbine/herceptin
11/ 06 PET NED
2/ 07 skin mets, 4/07 Xeloda, 5/07 add Tykerb
2/ 08 Tykerb failed. Doxil /Herceptin 6 months
8/08 PET skin mets, 8/08 Abraxane/Avastin
11/ 08 PET prog., skin mets
1/09 PET/CT progress, 1/09 Ixempra, 2/09 add Xeloda and low dose Naltrexone
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
vickie h

Thanks for all your support........Vickie

3/04 TCH X4
11/ 06 PET NED
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
dhealey

Thanks for the story Vicki. I am a work in progress at learning to follow my heart!
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Kim in CA

Oh Vickie, I can sooooo relate!

Getting cancer gave me permission to follow ( take care of) my heart.

For me (ever since I was a little girl) my passion has been horses. When I am with them it is like a powerful drug. I can feel the endorphins rushing inside me and I become almost drunk with giddiness. (or is that giddy-up-id-ness!)

It doesn't matter if I'm riding, grooming, playing with them in the pasture, or just cleaning stalls. They nourish my soul.

I have said it before, and I truly believe that each of us must find our passion, or as they say, "Follow your bliss"!

Kim

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
vickie h

Smile for Kim and Debbie

Thank you for your sweet replies. I do believe that following your passions and creativity are the greatest healers of our hearts. I wish you both a wonderful Thanksgiving. Much kove and peace, Vickie

3/04 TCH X4
11/ 06 PET NED
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda