HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #21
Sherryg683

Thank you all for your responses, I feel so guilty for feeling the way I do but I know I am not wrong. I think I do have issues with setting boundaries, I will say "no" then my mother calls me repeatedly and talks my ear off about how my poor little sister will lose her job if she takes off work (she works for my husband, so she is not about to be fired). How she is 78 and can't do it alone and that my brother is not giving her any money to help out, and then I say OK, I'll do it. My mother has no income, lives off social security. My brother is and has always been very stingy. He has never really done anything for anyone in the family and has only even become somewhat friendly since he got ill. He thinks that it is completely OK to ask us to drive to Houston and back in one day to get him, so that he doesn't have to pay for a hotel room. We're talking about a 10 hour round trip drive here, not including time spent at the hospital. I am not going to do this and I have about had it with his stingyness and letting me and my husband pay the bill. This last time when my husband took 2 days off work to drive him down there, he did not even offer to pick up the dinner tab when they went out to eat. We have always let him get by with this because he seems to have a sickness when it comes to letting go of money. I am going to have a talk with him when he calls and let him know that if he wants help, he's going to have to at least pay the expenses for us to come down there and back. I think I can get over being left out of the will but I am fed up with being used. Yes, I do need to say NO and make it stick.... sherry

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 PM   #22
hutchibk

I think you have wrapped your head around this very nicely! You go girl!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #23
Patrice

Sherry,

You have no reason to feel guilty, whatsoever We know it's not the money that's the issue for you, but rather, the sense of appreciation that is shown by such gifts. While I'm sure your brother isn't intending to hurt you, I do think he needs a little reality testing. You've been there for him 100% and his leaving what he has to your other siblings is essentially telling you he doesn't appreciate all you've given.

As others have said more artufully than I, though, please don't let this fester since it cannot be good for your own physical and mental well-being.

Wishing you the best.
Patrice
Patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #24
vickie h

Sherry, I agree mostly with the others. We all feel that sense of betrayal, confusion, and unexpressed gratefulness when we do things out of love with no recognition or thankfulness for our labor of love. I would go to your brother with an open, forgiving heart and ask him the simple question "why?".
Let him know how hurt you feel and how much his actions have affected your life. You have been the strong one, Sherry. The one who has done the honorable and caring things for your brother at what may be the last days of his life. Don't carry that anger and hurt inside your beautiful heart. Meet with him and let the tears flow, open the gates of truth, and lay your pain on the table. I wish you so much love and strength at this trying time. You and your family are in my prayers. Much love, Vickie

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Feb 04 IBC IIIC/IV er-/pr- her2+++
3/04 TCH X4
7/ 04 MRM 9/04 Taxol/herceptin wkly 1 yr 33X rads
11/04 skin mets 33x rads,10/05 Avast/Herc. 11 mos.
8/ 06 PET mets lymphs, neck
9/ 06 Navelbine/herceptin
11/ 06 PET NED
2/ 07 skin mets, 4/07 Xeloda, 5/07 add Tykerb
2/ 08 Tykerb failed. Doxil /Herceptin 6 months
8/08 PET skin mets, 8/08 Abraxane/Avastin
11/ 08 PET prog., skin mets
1/09 PET/CT progress, 1/09 Ixempra, 2/09 add Xeloda and low dose Naltrexone
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #25
Monica

Sherry,
You seem such a loving person, and given so much to your brother. I feel like I have to ask a question: Why is it so hard for you to tell him how you feel about not being included in his will? As other members have noted, money represents much more than just money. Maybe you don't "need" the money as much as your siblings, but you certainly deserve it the most. What's the worst that can happen if you tell him? He needs you - let him see this is important to you - not because of the money - but rather being included in the will shows that he cares about you and feels grateful and close to you in a way that he doesn't feel with his other siblings.

Best,
Monica

Dx Nov 2003 HER2+++, ER+, PR+
1.7 cm. left breast, Grade 3, Two nodes out of six, stage IIA
Mastectomy right side
Lumpectomy left side
4 A/C, 4 Taxol plus 49 weeks herceptin
Radiation on left side
No tamoxifen or other hormonal drugs
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #26
Sherryg683

I really should have told him how I felt when he brough it up in the beginning. I guess I was in shock. Since then, he has consistantly talked about "vultures picking at the bones", "people hearing the jingle of coins" when talking about certain members of the family. I guess I didn't want him to think that way about me. But then he makes a will and leaves it all to the "vultures" as he calls them. Like I said, my bother has a sickness with let going of money. He will not even spend any on himself knowing he is probably in his last days. I am pretty sure everything will come out in the open soon. I told my mother to tell my sister to take a day off work and make that 10 hour drive (because he won't pay for a hotel room) this time. It was her turn to pitch in. My brother and my mother are always fighting and I have been consistantly put in the middle and frankly I am tired of it. I have been hurt enough this year listening to all of it and I have already told my mother what my new boudaries are and I'm going to have to tell my brother also. I just have to make them stick. I have to keep my health up, and this situation has stressed me to the max..sherryg

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #27
chrisy

Sherry, good for you - stick to your guns, make sure your own health and well being comes first.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #28
Sandy in Silicon Valley

familiar familial dysfunction

Hi, Sherry -

I can certainly relate to how hurt and angered you are as a result of your brother's decision to leave you and your husband, who've been there for him through his illness, out of his will. My mother was cut out of her father's will, in favor of her brother, who was always in trouble and in need. I'm sure that both my sister and I will be cut out of our parents' will, because we've refused to put up with their abusive b.s. over recent years. And I've cut my oldest daughter out of my will, because she knows that she betrayed my trust two years ago, and refuses to acknowledge my hurt or apologize for her actions.

It occurs to me that the excuse that you don't "need" the money may be a cover-up - afterall, many people leave inheritances to people who don't apparently "need" more wealth.

Perhaps, instead, your brother is (unconsciously or consciously) angry that he is dependent on you and your husband - most men's egos really suffer from their loss of independence. Or maybe that he feels that you will outlive him and go on to have a good life, unlike your ne'er do well siblings, whom he needn't envy. So he justifies not having to "help" you keep living any better than you already are...

Karl Marx, the so-called Father of modern Communism, wrote: "To each according to his need, from each according to his ability." It seems that your brother is following this dictim in his will, though it's likely he doesn't sympathize with the politics or economics of communist idealogy.

You might consider letting him know that YOU plan to write your will by some other idealogy - like fairness, equity, or based on merit, and you wish he'd do the same, since you feel hurt that he's left you out entirely. More boldly, if you're energized and righteously indignant enough to carry it off, you might suggest to him what YOU'd think was fair (like an itemized accounting for the expenses you've incurred while taking care of him, that you might have otherwise spent - including hourly wages for yourself and your husband - on your own recreation).

In the end, you may not succeed in changing your brother's mind, or will, but I agree that letting hurt and anger simmer, unexpressed, is usually harder on us than finding a way to be honest about our negative feelings. Especially if you have no intention of bailing on him at this point (which, truthfully, I might do if I were in your shoes... My motto often is: Don't get mad, get even!), think of all that resentment you'd be stuffing as you chauffeur him here and there and provide emotional support.

(((hugs))) & wishes for your successful resolution of a painful dilemma,
Sandy in Silicon Valley
1999 - off Tamoxifen, on Arimidex
2003 - dx'd Stage IV - lymph nodes & lungs. ER-/PR-/HER2neu+++.
Tx: Herceptin & Taxotere (6 cycles).
2005 - 2.9cm x 3.6cm brain tumor. Craniotomy, CyberKnife. 9 mo. staph aureus infection at incision site - 2nd craniotomy. Two small brain mets CyberKnife'd.
2006 - revisit Xeloda - dosage lowered to 2500mg/day, 5 cycles.
2007 - "spot" dx'd on qtrly brain MRI - same location as CyberKnife 7/05. > by 2-4mm per quarter - - radiation injury or re-growing cancer? Tykerb added to Herceptin - July, still "watching & waiting". Otherwise, fully functional...

"The majority of people are not only afraid of holding a wrong opinion, they are afraid of holding an opinion alone." Kierkegaard
Sandy in Silicon Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #29
sarah

No one hurts you like family. I also feel you should tell him that you were shocked to learn he'd left you out of his will - that it made you feel that he didn't care for you or appreciate you and it has hurt you a great deal. Since you and your husband seem to be the most together ones, it would seem to have been more logically to leave it all to you with the understanding of helping out the others in a prudent way.
That said go outside and yell at him (not really at him just into the wind) and let it go.
Stay happy and peaceful in your life and look after your health.
big hug
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #30
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Smile Are we related????

Sweetheart I think we are related!! Same nonsense here, I stayed near family to help and I, of all relatives, am the black-sheep. NOT!! And neither are you. You need to take care of yourself and if talking helps, speak your mind. I always speak but sometimes it is better for me to talk to the terd I left behind in the commode than to try to speak to my certain someones. But taking care of relatives that disregard your respect is tough, was it really so difficult for him to recognize who has been there for him?? And you are also battling your own beast of sorts. I think Sandy said it right about the male ego. Listen to our other Warriors, their advice is priceless! Please put the anger slowly aside Sweetie, with time all wounds heal. I totally relate to the 'disfunctional family thing' and as hard as it is for us, I must. Bigger and better fish to fry so to speak.

If you ask me Sherry, I think that you have the most wealth of the bunch. You are strong and beautiful, so full of life. You have learned lessons thus far that many shall never know. Take the time you are given and reverse all of that pain into something positive hard as it may be. And know that anything I have said here has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MONEY. How dare anyone not realize what a giving, loving person you are and shame on them for the lack of respect!! And for the silent siblings who are never there...shame on you too!! Uggh!! I love you Sherry, please take care of YOU first!! Hope I helped even a little>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #31
Joanne S

Chrisy, You said it exactly as I would.

I agree with all the others too.

Sherry, I think you are wonderful in taking care of your brother. I wish you courage to be totally open and honest when you talk to your brother ASAP for your own well being. I think your brother will be glad too.

After you talk to your brother, you'll be feeling so much better!
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #32
StephN

Hi Sherry -
How are the "new boundaries" going??

Did your sister take the Scrooge to Houston this time?

Don't let them drag you kicking and screaming back into the old pattern, OK.

Have a happy holiday this week - you deserve that.

Dear G*d, I am thankful my family does not let money come between us. No one is very rich, but we all have more than adequate incomes or ways to make what we need. One exception, my sisters's stepson, who has a wife who won't work and continues to spend ...

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:37 AM   #33
KathyH

your brother's very common but unwise response

Hi Friend,
I am sorry you have been hurt. It seems that your brother has fallen into the pattern of rewarding unwise decision making. The wise thing seems to me to give you your share and give you your siblings' share in trust for them since you have proven yourself capable and worthy. For most people with money problems, the problem is not solved by more money. I wish that your brother could see this, but how many of us can think clearly when our circumstances are as dire as his? I know he didn't intend to hurt you, but I am sorry that he did unintentionally. I hope that things can be resolved in a judicious manner that is not hurtful to anyone.
Love, KathyH
KathyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #34
MJo

Keep talking everyone. I made a will and wanted to leave leave it all to one niece whose parents are not well off. I have two other nieces from a well-off family. My lawyer gently guided me to leave something to all of them; I certainly love all of them. I don't plan to check out soon, but I think it could hurt them to be left out. Your brother is trying to take care of the screw ups. I think you should talk to him.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote