HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-27-2007, 02:44 PM   #21
Hopeful

I do not have a port and am receiving Herceptin every 3 weeks for a year. My onc has a lab in his office where they check blood counts every visit, and I get finger sticks to be able to save my veins for the Herceptin line. When he wants blood chemistry (every 6 weeks) I make a separate appointment a week before my infusion so they can use the vein in my arm. Since I work near my onc, it is no big deal to do this.

Herceptin and the solvents it is dissolved in, unlike many of the chemos, is not dangerous to the tissue surrounding the veins if somehow the line accidentally gets yanked out of the vein during the treatment. If you have good veins and don't mind the sticks, the port isn't a necessity for this treatment.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #22
Cannon

Question Revisit the Port Removal Question

I am bumping this thread up, as I am about to finish my year of Herceptin. My onc has not said anything about removing my port, and I am inclined to wait, I think at least six months. Wondering if anyone has some new thoughts or comments...thanks
Rebecca
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #23
tousled1

When yo finish your Herceptin it is usually up to you if you want it removed right away or wait. My oncologist said that I could keep the port for up to a year and just get it flushed once a month. I opted to have it removed. Unfortunately, I developed mets and had to have another port put in. But, if I had to do it all over again, I'd have the port removed right away as I did.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #24
janet/FL

My port was uncomfortable so I had it removed after I finished Herceptin. The doctor was hesitant to do so, then he checked over my chart and said that since it was unlikely for the cancer to reoccur to go ahead and remove it. If it would not have been so irritating, I would have left it a bit longer. Perhaps I was allergic to the rubber line?
BTW. I wish I would have not had the meds they gave me to put me into twilight sleep. I was dizzy and nauseous for a week afterwards. Just some Ativan or Halcion would have been enough. Some seem to have them removed with just the local.
Lumpectomy 12/2004
Stage 1, 9mm DCIS, grade 2, Her2+++, ER/PR negative
Refused A/C as recommened by two oncs.
35 treatments of radiation that ended March 4, 2005
Changed oncologists and began
Taxotere/Herceptin August 2005. Finished Herceptin July 2006
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #25
Cannon

Kate, it looks like you recurred mets within 3 months - so the port was only out for a short time, right? That's what I worry about. More of the same uncertainty.

Rebecca
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:26 PM   #26
Chelee

Rebecca, I understand your concern...I had the same ones when it was time to remove mine. I'm Stage IIIA, her2/neu, 3+++, er & pr positive, 5 of 16 positive nodes, Richardson scale 9 of 9. I wasn't able to have rads either which worried me. But my current onc and my 2nd opinion onc up at City of Hope both told me to have it removed when I finished my herceptin. I wanted to leave it in at least till I hit the two yr mark. But they both insisted I get it removed.

I can tell you *now* I am glad I did it. (Its been out for almost 9 months now and so far NED.) (Knock on wood) There is no way to know when or *if* you will recur. So I am betting on I won't. Positive thinking. You said your onc hasn't brought it up....next time get his/her opinion? That might help you decide. Good luck to you.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:08 AM   #27
janet11

Rebecca, when I knew I wouldn't be continuing Herceptin, I ASKED my onc if I could get my port out now. She didn't bring up the subject, but I couldn't see having my port only for every-3-month blood tests (and having to come in and get it flushed monthly). She thought about it and agreed, and I had it removed.

If I have a recurrance and have to get another, then so be it. But for now, I'm cancer-free and having NO port just reminds me of this every day.

Anyway, that was my thinking. Good luck.

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #28
Ginagce

Talking Port Removal

My experience, went thru 4 months of dose dense chemo wo port. When Herceptin became available to me, I had to get port.

Although I never had any problems with it, one month after my last Herceptin treatment (was on Herceptin for 2 years) I had it out.

And I'm glad I did. If I need it again, I'll have it put back in but after nearly 3 years of feeling like a patient, I needed the reminder gona asap.

Just me, you have to decide what you're comfortable with.

Either way, Godspeed and Good Luck to You!

Ginagce
Ginagce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:07 PM   #29
Joan M

I feel my oncologist said it best when she suggested I have my port removed after three years in Sept. 2006: "There's no good time to remove a port."

When she had suggested I remove it, I asked her whether it was okay now, because I had seven positive nodes, and that was her answer (even though I knew she never suggested removing it before then because of the positive nodes).

My onc has a lot of wisdom and always says the right thing. After all, we don't have a crystal ball to help us make these decisions.

I removed the port and five months later the cancer showed up in my lung. "There's no good time ..."

I had my port flushed every 6 weeks.
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:55 AM   #30
dhealey

I will be finishing my herceptin in December and have decided to keep my port in for awhile maybe 6 months. My onc suggests removing it after the last herceptin treatment. I have a cyst on my brain that is being watched MRI every three months and am having a PET scan end of December for lump in my neck that does not show up on CT scan, so I am reluctant to have it removed with these issues. I just look at the removal as one more procedure I don't want to deal with and it is a safety net if the cancer comes back. Most patients recurr within 1 year after treatment. So I am keeping mine for a while.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:28 AM   #31
Cathya

I still have my port and use it often as I see my onc every two or three months. It was never suggested to me to have it removed and it doesn't bother me. I am on and off herceptin (looking to go back on now as my tumor markers are increasing) so think it's best to just keep it for now. If I am NED for a couple more years I'll get it out.

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #32
Cannon

Cool Thanks

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I guess I'm going to go with my gut, as I have all along, and keep it for a while. It doesn't bother me, or make me feel more like a patient, and the thought of another "procedure" makes me sick to my stomach. Only 2 more herceptin treatments to go! and that makes me very happy (I've been going weekly for a year). And if I have to get the port flushed once a month, it's a good excuse to see my onc. I'm pretty sure I'll be in withdrawal after seeing him weekly for so long.

Rebecca
33 Rads