HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-10-2007, 02:07 AM   #21
hutchibk

AA -I know you are heartbroken. Blessings and love during this difficult time...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:59 AM   #22
mcgle

So sorry you have had this dreadful loss, AA.

Five years is a great milestone, and I'm sure your friend would have been delighted for you.

Mcgle (UK)
mcgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #23
AlaskaAngel

Red face Making a difference

I appreciate all the thoughtful replies from ALL of you, and am thankful there is room here for polite expression of our deepest concerns. For whatever reasons, I am more afraid of toxic treatments than of cancer. Like so many others, I do not know if doing toxic treatment was more helpful or more harmful -- but here I am. When I think of those like my friend, who went through the baldness and loss of sexuality and the difficulties of treatment only to pay the highest price of all, there is nothing to take away the ache.

Of course that doesn't mean that some others have not benefitted, only that until some of the many, many theories and studies about targeted therapies are actively applied, those who don't benefit will continue to be stripped of what comfort they could have kept to get them through their hard times. My friend asked me to speak in her behalf about that, and so I do. It is a subject that isn't often mentioned, as if one should be ashamed or embarrassed for speaking about that reality; yet those like my friend who read here daily continue to suffer through it in silence.

I agree with Lani, and I think my friend would have too -- that careful sharing of information (with genuine informed consent) about each of our cancers would be immensely valuable. Is there any way to accomplish such a thing as HER2s through this website?
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #24
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Essential Information Seems To Be Lost...

Hi all!

This is so important! I was going to get to this topic Lani brought up, and Alaska Angel helped me move forward.

In '95 when I was first dx -- 4th stage invasive lobular carcinoma w/2 out of 21? nodes -- there was no idea of testing for HER2. But I lived on Long Island in New York and the national 1 woman in 10 at the time was much higher on Long Island! Something like 1 in 9, now 1 in 8. So a major study was underway. I was approached in pre-surgerical testing by a nurse who politely asked if I would donate a small portion of my to be removed tumor (9 cm) toward this study. I immediately agreed! I understood that it was crucial to know all we could possibly find by testing tumor pathology of breast cancer patients. I wanted to help. And I think each of us feels the same. I have participated in further studies since (on psychological investigation into those who survived HER2 metastatic cancer, by a group under Dr. Dennis Slamon at UCLA). Again, vital information that needs to be gathered and analyzed!!

HOW DO WE INSTIGATE ONGOING STUDY? Who needs to be contacted? Has anyone been approached as I was in '95? I was NOT asked in '98 when I metastasized, and I grieve for the loss of such invaluable information! How can we stop this foolish neglect. Lani is so right that the path to a cure would be shortened by the gathering and study of tumor pathologies. It is common sense. I cannot think of any one who wouldn't want to contribute their cells, blood, whatever toward finding a cure for this disease reaching epidemic proportions!
Andi

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #25
Lani

I have personally spoken with

Michael Clarke the person who first "discovered" the breast cancer stem cell and he was adamant that the best thing one could do would be to try to get breast cancer patients organized in a way to donate their tissues in ways that would get around the bulky constraints imposed by HIPAA (patient privacy laws)

At a recent AACR (cancer researcher association ) meeting on advances in breast cancer about three weeks ago I met Dr. Glenn Deng, who has developed a machine utilizing a different technology than the Cell Search (which uses immunomagnetism and EPCAM as I understand it) to identify circulating tumor cells and then goes on to find the markers/genes on the individual circulating tumor cells. I discussed with him that it was my impression that many of the ladies here would be more than happy to donate some blood and or a bit of their old biopsy to help research into her2+ breast cancer progress faster (even more so if they were informed of their own findings!)

The nice part of his technology is that it can get similar information to gene expression profiles which normally require fresh frozen specimen(for retrieval of DNA), when almost every breast cancer patient has their specimen fixed in paraffin. If indeed they can get information from just circulating tumor cells (from a simple blood draw) and they can follow it during the course of treatment and during the time after treatment, this might potentially save breast cancer patients from having to wait 10 and 15 years before they decide which is the best AI, which tumors are resistant to AIs, which tumors are sensitive to anthracyclines, taxanes, herceptin, tykerb, etc

I have contacted Dr. Deng since meeting him at the AACR meeting and will
ask him to make a specific proposal that I could perhaps bring back to you here. I have also approached Dr. David Hirschberg at Stanford who is looking into the immune system of normal people and those with various cancers which elude the immune system, but such research is still in its infancy as what is normal has not yet been adequately defined.

It is one thing to have an idea, another to be able to get a researcher interested, have the researcher get funding , get people organized to donate their specimen/blood, and yet another to figure out the legality/privacy/ownership issues, etc.

I hope our sorrow at Alaska's loss of her friend motivates enough here to
see if we can do something constructive to move things forward faster!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #26
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation Lani Please Follow Up On This. I'm On Board. Who Else????

Well I'll be DENG! Pardon the pun. Seriously, TAKE ALL THE BLOOD YOU NEED FROM ME TO FURTHER AND SPEED ALONG BC HER2+ PROFILING AND SENSITIVITY, ETC!! Which of us would not give our blood for such a noble cause??

Michael Clark sounds like my kind of man. Let's get organized and proceed around the bulky constraints, by all means! AMEN. Please lead the way. I'll sign up today!
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 11-10-2007, 11:22 PM   #27
Chelee

I know you could certainly count me in. I would welcome the opportunity to help in any way possible. With any lab work necessary, biospy slides, etc. I really like the idea that we would be informed of our own findings...that *would* be a major plus in my book.

I'm actually suprised something like this hasn't been done long before now. But again, I would more then willing to give any thing that's needed. I hope in time they can get this going...its long over do.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #28
Andrea Barnett Budin

Exclamation This Is A *must Do*

Yes, Chelee,

In every study I agreed to participate in, I was told I would receive the results of their findings, before even asking. It stands to reason that you have a vested interest!

We do this for one another, and for our Children, Sisters, Brothers and the next generation!!!! Knowledge is power.

Andi

Old 11-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #29
Montana

Alaska,

Congratulations on your 5 year milestone.

I am sorry for your friend. I lost a good friend to a stroke the day after I was diagnosed. I know what you are feeling...

To all our lost friends.....
Nottingham Grade 7/9
ER 91% PR 62%; Her2 3.6 by ICH; KI-67 35%

Nov 2004 Lumpectomy; SNB failed so had
full axillary clearance;
Dec 2004 2nd lumpy for clean DCIS margins.

Jan/Feb 2005 4 A/C dose dense;
33 rads finished 6/2005;
Began 5 years Arimidex in 6/2005
No Herceptin
9/2007 Quit Arimidex due to severe side effects.
NED
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #30
Lani

how HIPAA Privacy laws are hindering research

Scientists indicate HIPAA privacy rule has had negative influence on health research [Eureka News Service]
About two-thirds of clinical scientists surveyed report that the HIPAA Privacy Rule for patients has had a negative influence on the conduct of health research, often adding uncertainty, cost and delays, according to a study in the November 14 issue of JAMA.
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule was intended to strike a balance between protecting the privacy of individually identifiable health information and preserving the legitimate use and disclosure of this information for important social goals, according to background information in the article. However, many researchers have expressed concerns that since implementation in April 2003, the Privacy Rule has adversely affected the progress of biomedical research.
Roberta B. Ness, M.D., M.P.H., of the University of Pittsburgh, Penn., and colleagues with the Joint Policy Committee, Societies of Epidemiology, conducted a survey to determine the degree, type, and variability of influence from the HIPAA Privacy Rule experienced by epidemiologists conducting research on U.S. human subjects (participants). Thirteen societies of epidemiology distributed a national Web-based survey and 1,527 eligible professionals anonymously answered questions.
The researchers found that regarding general perceptions of the HIPAA Privacy Rule, a majority of respondents reported that the degree to which the rule made research easier was low, at 1 to 2 (84.1 percent) on a 5-point scale (with 1 = none, 5 = a great deal), and that the degree to which the rule made research more difficult was high (67.8 percent), at 4 to 5 on the scale. Almost 40 percent indicated that the Privacy Rule increased research costs in the high range of 4 to 5, and half indicated that the additional time added by the rule to complete research projects was high.
Almost half indicated that the Privacy Rule had affected research related to public health surveillance at the high level. The perceived benefit of the rule with respect to strengthening public trust was reported as high by only 10.5 percent of respondents, and only 25.9 percent believed that the rule had enhanced participant confidentiality/privacy in the high range of 4 to 5.
Respondents also indicated that the proportion of institutional review board applications in which the Privacy Rule had a negative influence on human subjects (participants) protection was significantly greater than the proportion in which it had a positive influence.
ABSTRACT: Influence of the HIPAA Privacy Rule on Health Research [Journal of the AMA]
Context: Anecdotal reports suggest that the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act Privacy Rule (HIPAA Privacy Rule) may be affecting health research in the United States.
Objective: To survey epidemiologists about their experiences with the HIPAA Privacy Rule.
Design, Setting, and Participants: Thirteen societies of epidemiology distributed a national Web-based survey; 2805 respondents accessed the survey Web site and 1527 eligible professionals anonymously answered questions.
Main Outcome Measures: Responses related influences such as research delays and added cost after Privacy Rule implementation, frequency and type of Privacy Rule-related institutional review board modifications, level of difficulty obtaining deidentified data and waivers, experiences with multisite studies, and perceived participant privacy benefits under the rule. Respondents ranked their perceptions of Privacy Rule influence on 5-point Likert scales.
Results: A total of 875 (67.8%) respondents reported that the HIPAA Privacy Rule has made research more difficult at a level of 4 to 5 on a Likert scale, in which 5 indicates a great deal of added cost and time to study completion. A total of 684 (52.1%) of respondents identified a "most affected" protocol. Respondents indicated that the proportion of institutional review board applications in which the Privacy Rule had a negative influence on human subjects (participants) protection was significantly greater than the proportion in which it had a positive influence (P < .001).
Conclusion: In this national survey of clinical scientists, only a quarter perceived that the rule has enhanced participants' confidentiality and privacy, whereas the HIPAA Privacy Rule was perceived to have a substantial, negative influence on the conduct of human subjects health research, often adding uncertainty, cost, and delay.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:24 PM   #31
StephN

Save a forest ...

... get rid of the HIPAA papers we must sign each time we seek medical care. Just had to sign another one this morning.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote