HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 05-30-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
Rich66

Tykerb assistance?

Mom's in the dreaded donut hole of Medicare D and trying to pursue path to make the big T affordable. Have applied to a a few programs but don't know how it will go. Any tips? Is there a network for patients to exchange unused/"failed" meds?

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:57 AM   #2
Ellie F

Re: Tykerb assistance?

Sorry Rich, was wondering if the offer of 3 months free trial was available in the States? That was the offer from GSK to the UK government.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
Nancy L

Rich, I have often wondered the same thing and think how wasteful it is for expensive medication to go to the landfill. I know most doctor's offices will not take the pills you can no longer take and dispense to others--liability issues they tell me. The other thing that disturbs me these days is that the pharmacies all put an expiration date of one year on prescriptions. They do this because it is easy for them----don't want to look up or maintain a database of the "real" expiration dates. Most meds have a minimum of two years and many are much longer than that. If Medicare wants to save money on meds, you would think they would demand this practice be changed.

And as for GSK, if they don't offer the three months free trial in the states and do in the rest of the world, this should also be changed.

As I understand the health care changes (mostly negative in my opinion), the donut hole is being fixed so you may not have this problem next year. Tykerb is expensive---around $3K a month I believe.

Another thought---maybe you could contact GSK directly and discuss options. I did this with Astro Zeneca for my sister when Faslodex was first approved. It was a fight but I eventually got what I wanted---I think they might just have wanted to get rid of me but that's okay.

I wish I had some pills to send your mom but Tykerb is still working for me after 15 months.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Rich66

Access programs from pharma seem to vary from country to country. The deal the UK gets makes a kind of sense in that a patient might be able to start more immediately and find out if the drug is helpful before NHS is on the hook for it. I suppose it's one of those cost shifting scenarios where specific arrangements are possible here and there but eventually the $$ needs to come from somewhere...usually the US.
But you would think oral meds with no cost of IV facility, staff or premeds would be aggressively embraced. (Here's where GDPawel would mention IV drug incentives for doctors Interesting article on access HERE. Interesting thoughts on expiration dates, Nancy.

There is a GSK entity named "Tykerb Cares" but it is not a financial assistance program. They help patients determine their insurance coverage and, if inadequate, tell you about various assistance programs to apply for. GSK does have a commitment to access program that can be applied for but I don't know how that will work out or how long it will take. Novartis has a simple program/coupon for a free month of Femara which has allowed mom to get going on that while ironing out coverage issues. That kind of approach with Tykerb would be a reasonable middle ground.
I've heard somewhere that some hospitals/clinics pool their unused onco meds but I haven't heard of that around here.
I'm glad Tykerb is working long term for you. Helps motivate me to push through the red tape.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Unregistered

There is a program called Tykurb Commitment to Access through GlaxoSmithKline the doctors office can contact I get mine through the program for shipped to my home I don't have insurance anymore so i get it for free thru the program maybe they can help
Old 06-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
Rich66

How long did it take for the access program to decide and deliver?

Old 06-05-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
pamuk

My sister in UK just progressed from bone mets to liver and lung mets. Currently on Herceptin, about to start Taxol. Onc say's unlikely NHS will pay for Tykerb. Would be very grateful for more information on the free three month supply in the UK.
pamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:14 AM   #8
Ellie F

Hi
The 3 months 'free' offer was rejected by the British government.Tykerb was considered not to be cost effective by NICE, the body responsible for deciding which drugs are available on the NHS. This was in spite of a public petition and representations from leading British breast oncologists.
May I suggest a couple of things that may help. The newly elected Prime Minister has promised that he will fund all new cancer drugs once in office. With this in mind I would suggest your sister or her family contact their member of Parliament to pursue this on her behalf.
The other option which she could pursue if her onc was in agreement (and this is a key issue) is for him to contact her Primary Care Trust to ask them to consider whether given her circumstances they will agree to fund Tykerb.
Hope this helps
Ellie
Old 06-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
pamuk

Ellie - thank you so, so much. This information is really helpful! We will try both avenues.
Thanks again
Old 06-08-2010, 02:03 AM   #10
Ellie F

Glad to be of some help.

Ellie
Old 06-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
jml

Rich~
I eventurally received my Tykerb NOT through Tykerb Cares (aka Tykerb-doesn't-really-care-unless-you-can-pay-for it), however, I did have to apply to Tykerb Cares 1st, get denied, and then apply to Committment to Access. It was a frustrating and stressful, and expensive process- as I was paying out-of-pocket for the drug while waiting to get approval.
Once my application was in and I was approved, they were actually pretty efficient.
Here's a phone number I have for
Committment to Access:
I hope someone there will be able to guide you through the process.

Keep us posted.
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #12
Rich66

Thanks JML. We did discover committment to Access. Mom just got shipment yesterday. She's a bit afraid because some of the literature mentions liver concerns. Her last LFT a few weeks ago was much better than previous but still slightly elevated. Maybe starting with a few pills and work up to full dose?

Old 06-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
jml

Glad to hear you guys maneuvered through the process and are getting the Tykerb for free.
It's probably a smart idea to modify the dose to start (assuming doc's okay with it too) and increase as tolerated. Especially b/c of all the GI issues.
Best of luck with it for your Mom~
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
Liaidarutrica

Tykerb assistance

On the front-page there is a Forum Categories block with links to the different forums. It contains a link to Support but that forum is actually called Assistance.
Liaidarutrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:02 AM   #15
pibikay

Can someone better informed help me with some info Is commitment to access restricted to the US alone? My wife's Onc has said clearly that after her 9 doses of herceptin is over he is switching her on to Tykerb.My insurance is exhausted
PBK
Left breast cauliflower 25x20cm
ossousmetstatis in vertbrae secondaries L4=L5secondary
nodules in both liver lobes secondary
Diagnosed 10th March 2010
ER/PR-ve
Her 2 neu +++
Taxotrne Zylotec started 16th March
Herceptin added 5th April.9th Herceptin over on 20th Sep '10.Started on Tykerb and Xeloda on 22nd Oct2010TYKERB 4 TAB A DAY XELODA 4 TAB A DAY ONE WEEK ON ONE WEEK OFFZoletrust infusion every 4 months.Lesion in Brain 3D CRT Radiation started on 1st Feb'12 for 20 days ,5 days a week for 4 weeks.Devloped a small lump in breast.Xeloda stopped from 11th April '12.On Taxol.After 3 cycles of Taxol Taxol stopped.Back to Xeloda regime from 3rd July
Herceptin started again on 27th Dec 2012.Xeloda stopped Navelbin added on 7th February 2013.Now on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #16
hezzy

Tykerb in Illinois runs near five grand a bottle. I go through a bottle a month I've almost been on Tykerb a year. My health ins. is medicaid and it covers all cost thankfully.
- 6 mths taxol
-6 mths abrexene
- Nov 07 started herceptin still on
- was on tamoxifin wasn't working, gettin something new soon

Aug 09
- brain mets
- 3 tumors
- highest being 4cm large
- others under 2cm
- WBR rads in morning, than afternoon hitting each one direct
- rads to vertebrate

- Sept 09
- getting ready to start Xeloda
- continue herceptin
- just finished w/ rads on brain mets, and vertebrate

(think im doing this right now)
hezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #17
pamuk

Thankfully my sister has JUST been approved for Tykerb under the emergency fund the UK government authorised in Oct of 2010 because it was getting such a bad rap for it's cancer treatment compared to other European countries. Sadly she is not currently well enough to start treatment, but her onc is trying to build her up.
For anyone applying in the UK I believe there are very strict guidelines about which cancers, which drugs and who is eligible for this new funding, because it is a relatively small amount of money.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:35 AM   #18
Sheila

I have half a bottle of Tykerb i am no longer on...hate to throw it away as I know how much it costs!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #19
schoolteacher

Rich,

I hope you mom is doing well. Is she taking Tykerb alone?

I am on the T-DM1 trial and I have to turn my medicine in at the end of every three week cycle. It makes me very sad that the medicine I do not use has to be destroyed. I talked to the research nurse, and she said, "That this was standard procedure in case the medicine had been tampered with." I don't understand why the research nurse could not count the three week supply of Tykerb for me. I am going to email Gentech and see. It is really sad that people need this medicine and it has to be destroyed and people need it.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #20
ElaineM

Wink Re: Tykerb assistance?

I found this useful article in Cure Today about applying for financial assistance from various organizations not only for Tykerb, but for other cancer drugs too.
http://www.curetoday.com/index.cfm/f...rticle_id/1181
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote