HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 06-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #21
sept66blue

Re: Herceptin and leg and joint pains

Hi everyone,
I just had my ck up mammo and it looks clear. Thank God. I have had an issue perhaps I could have some feed back. I finished chemo 12/10 and radiation 3/11. I still have 3 more herceptin treatments. I've gained 20 lbs since I started herceptin last year. I've been going to the gym 3-4 x a wk since 2/11 w/ a personal trainer every 4 wks. I still do small portioned meals consisting of veggies, fruit, chicken and fish. No junk, processed, sugary foods. All the doctors deny herceptin as the reason. From the time I get up in the morning I'm active until bedtime. I'm feeling like a suma wrestler........Help
Consult surgeon did core biopsy on mass at that time. 1wk later needle bopsy on intramammary lymph node.
6/17/10 Dx w/ invasive ductal carcinoma, ER-/PR-,Her2/neu+
6/28 MRI, bone scan, chest xray, radiation oncologist,medical oncologist.
7/7/10 lumpectomy ( 1.2 cm tumor), dye sentinel nodes, portocath placed., 7/15/10 PETSCAN
7/16/10 No lymph nodes involved.
7/22/10 Path report suggest removal of scattered in situ, ecocardiogram, recons w/ med onco. 7/28/10 re-wide excision
8/19/10 1st chemo tx.-premed with Decadron 1 day before for 4 days along with Pepsid AC. Emend 1 hour before chemo. Given chairside by mouth Tylenol. Given by iv- saline, Benedryl, Pepsid AC, Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin. Herceptin for 18 wks then every 3 wks x 12
Last chemo tx.12/02/10
2/11 eco, ekg, stress test all WNL
35 radiation treatments-completed 3/11/11

Last edited by sept66blue; 06-28-2011 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: misspell
sept66blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #22
Jean

Hi Diane,
Well the very ugly part of treatment TC is behind you.
As Brenda said those are powerful treatments.
It will take time for the drugs to get out of your system
and remember we are all different & special. So maybe your body will take a few extra weeks etc.

I have a question for you...when you were having treatment did you by any chance take yogurt? I would eat 2-3 a day to keep my insides running normal. Never had the problems with GI tract (at least it worked for me).
So maybe now you might want to try eating some yogurt even though you are eating healthy...but something in your diet is causing your GI tract to react the way it is and also the the drugs took their place also...remember all the good bacteria was destroyed also during treatment and this takes time to restore.

For the leg cramps this is what I did and it helped a lot.
I would eleavate my legs on pillows to help with the blood flow. Also - a good message on the calfs and foot would help me also. Warm soothing soaks in the tub at night before bed...along with a heating pad on my legs. It did help.

Ahhh the old runny nose...and the crusty nose.
That is from the herceptin. I had that the entire year of herceptin and long after. What helped the most for me
was neosporin cream - I would rub some inside my nose and the crusty stopped.

If you are not eating brown rice already maybe try that with some steamed veggies for a few days in a row and see results...red meat is a real cause for the runs while on treatment or when not on treatment way too rich.

It does get better and you are over the worst of it.
Herceptin is a cake walk compared to TC.
As far as hair growth...my hair took a while to grow back.
Like I said everyone is different. After TC it took a few months to see a good 2 to 3 in. but it does grow back.

Hope some of the above helps. Best Wishes on finishing the TC....
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 07-11-2011 at 08:07 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #23
Jean

Sept66blue,
Yup those 20 pds...most of us had that too!
It will come off - I found until I was all done with herceptin the weight held on...when my last herceptin treatment then I dropped the 20 pds. It took a few months. Keep doing what your doing - you are so near the finish line.
I am sure once you finish herceptin and work out as you are doing you will see those 20 pd. drop.

Besides you look beautiful in your photo!!!

Best Wishes
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #24
snolan

I lost my finger nails during my TCH tx. Have found calcium suppliments have helped but keep my nails short to prevent breaks. I too have drippy nose from Herceptin, no muscle or joint pain since I finished chemo but I exercise like crazy so I am always sore. No cramping or eye problems.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #25
ArmyMomLisa

My onc told me the watery eyes was due to the Taxotere and should get better 6-8 weeks after treatment. I have seen some improvement (am now almost 6 weeks out from TCH) so am hoping it continues to get better and that it was the culprit more than the Herceptin (will be on that til next Feb.) And I also don't like the red looking eyes...w/ that and the bald head, it's easy to feel rather less than pretty! Stomach issues haven't been too terrible, but I hear you on the being gassy part. Seriously - the things this does to your body is ridiculous. Just happy for some ridiculously good stuff too!

And silly me, I was assuming the runny nose was from having no hair in there to stop the snot! :-) haha

Biggest thing now (besides being so tired all the time, and waiting for hair) is being very eager for the neuropathy to subside.

This getting knocked on your butt business is for the birds. Getting back up is harder than I could ever have imagined and you are right - only those who have been thru chemo can really understand. (I keep reminding myself of that when people say silly things or just don't 'get it')

THank you all for a place to talk and be heard!

11/17/10 diagnosed (at age 44) after mammogram w/ 3 cm, Stage 1,Grade 3 IDC in left breast Er/Pr+, Her2+, BRCA neg.
12/14/10 lumpectomy
12/17/10 path report results show tumor larger than originally thought from MRI,
1/3/11 Bilateral mastectomy w/ immediate reconstruction (expanders - began fills 4 weeks after surg.)
2/16/11 Began 6 rounds of Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin every 3 weeks
2/18/11 to hospital w/ kidney stone! (Dr. believes from 'shock to my body' of chemo.)
6/2/11 last chemo! Continue Herceptin every 3 weeks til 2/12
6/22/11 Started Tamoxifen
7/5/11 reconstruction surg.
ArmyMomLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:20 AM   #26
Marjie

Hi there everyone - I am new here, never posted before. I had FEC-T chemo and started herceptin with my second last taxotere in January. I am receiving herceptin every 21 days until next January. I know I have some lingering chemo and radiation SE's but I am frustrated with the body/joint pain which seems to be increasing gradually with every herceptin cycle. My onc says it's likely my age and my hormones causing it which makes me kind of angry - I'm 48.
I also have the runny nose and soft, peeling nails, and general tiredness.

I will be glad to be done herceptin - yes it's easier than chemo, but the lingering and constant aches really start to get you down.
Marjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Patrice1968
This message has been deleted by Patrice1968. Reason: responded to someone else in error!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #27
snolan

Marjie

I finish my herceptin the end of Aug. It seems that these last couple of months have taken forever. I too get the runny nose. Achy joints not so much as I am always sore from my workouts Helps hide it I guess. Just know we are all standing behind you, especially those that have finished their treatments. It helps to read about their joy of finishing to help keep that carrot dangeling in front of you. Keep the faith and be patient, hope you start to feel better.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #28
Raquel

I haven't noticed the achyness from the Herceptin, but I've been on it almost four years now so maybe my body has adjusted.I do have the runny nose and I'm alittle tired after but I can't complain! Try walking,I get energy when I exercise and that might help the joint pain too! Keep going and don't let it get you down, it takes a while for all the drugs to get out of our systems.IT took me about a year from chemo to feel like myself again!
Raquel is offline   Reply With Quote