HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-24-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
*_Patty D_*

Christine and Al- I posted to your responses but they ended up as replies to my own posting! So please look under my posting from Wed March 23 and let me know if you could find them Thanks for your help Patty
Old 03-24-2005, 07:10 PM   #2
Christine

Patty,

Mayo Clinic sounds good. Laguna is near Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach and also to the Jonnson Cancer Center where Drs. Mark Pegram and Dennis Slammon both practice.

I have attached a link to the National Institute of Health's Cancer Center List. I understand that the centers on this list have achieved an exceptional level of excellence.

Hugs
Christine

National Institute of Health Cancer Centers

Old 03-24-2005, 07:49 PM   #3
al from canada

Hi Patty,
I got your posting just a couple hours ago. I will get back to you later.
Hang on and stay tough,
Al
Old 03-25-2005, 12:49 AM   #4
rosie

Dear Patty

While it is always scary to find out something isn't work, this doesn't mean that the next thing won't work well. And you have MANY options left. I had EXTENSIVE bone mets EVERYWHERE and lung mets. I failed navelbine and figured my live was over. WRONG!

I went on Gemzar and xeloda with herceptin and had almost a complete response for a year. My bone mets almost completely disappeared except for a very tiny one left.

You are so right to get other opinions because there is so much left for you to try:
Navelbine,
Gemzar
Xeloda
Abraxane
Doxil
Oxaliplatin
etc.

If you want to go to UCLA the number to make an appointment with Dr. Pegram is 310 829 5471. But there are many fine people across the country closer to you. For example, Dr. Melody Cobleigh in Chicago at Rush Presbyterian, Dr. Kathy Miller at Indiana U, and I am sure the Mayo Clinic has people as well. Wherever you go for your opinion, be sure it is an oncologist who specializes in breast cancer.

Don't despair and don't look at your tumor markers and think that they tell you what the future holds. You might have a great response for a long time and then some other drug will be available.

Finally, like Christine said, you MUST be on a class of drugs called bisphosphonates for your bone mets. There are several in this class but the one that has shown the best results is zometa.

Take a deep breath, look at your options and know that you have many good choices open to you.

With a hug,
Rosie
Old 03-26-2005, 05:56 PM   #5
al from canada

Patty,
I replied in your previous posting.
Al