Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
Lani

how fat in your diet may influence whether cancer metastasizes

http://news.uns.purdue.edu/x/2009a/0...Fatcancer.html
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
mts

Excellent article--- Thank you for posting !
Infiltrating DCIS
HER2+, ER+10% & PR-
.9cm tumor not visible on mammo, but palpable; visible on ultrasound
Lumpectomy/ clear margins, no nodes
Had Breast MRI after lumpectomy that revealed two more tumors in same quadrant(.4cm and 1.6cm) that were not visible on either mammo or ultrasound.
Re-excision
DD AC+T; Herceptin one year
Rads
NED/Taking Tamoxifen reluctantly
--------------
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Christine MH-UK

This was interesting

"The researches used the imaging and cell-counting tools to document that linoleic acid, which is predominant in polyunsaturated fats, caused increasing membrane phase separation, whereas oleic acid, found in monounsaturated fats, did not."

At the risk of taking R.B.'s job, this would indicate that linoleic acid, an Omega 6, might be quite bad.

Interesting about oleic, too, given Menendez's work on fatty acids which suggests that oleic acid might be beneficial against her-2 breast cancer and herceptin-sensitizing.
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
karen z

Thanks very much for posting this.
kz
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
RobinP

This supports prior studies that have said the same thing. In the WINS, a high fat diet promoted hormonal negative bc relapse.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
jones7676

Location: I live in Christmas, MI - located on the shores of Lake Superior.
Great info - thanks so much!

10/03 Radical Mastectomy 3 cm tumor - 1/17 Nodes Stage II B, Her 2 +++ ER-/PR- 11/03 4 AC 4 Taxol 12/05 Stage IV - Lung met , Bone mets - Carbo, Taxotere, Herceptin 9/06 - 2 cm brain tumor 10/06 - Tumor removal surgery - Herceptin Halted 12/06 gamma knife tumor base.1/07 Navelbine/Herceptin 4/07 Rads to R femur 5/07 Stereotactic - new 2 cm brain tumor 4/07 Start Xeloda 5/07 Tykerb added 7/07 Brain MRI clean 10/07 .055 cm brain met found. 12/07 Stereotactic -1 cm brain tumor Start Tykerb 11/07 Abraxane/Herceptin 5/08 Cisplatin, Gemcitabine/Herceptin 6/08 Stereotactic to 1cm 9/08 Stereotactic repeat (growth). 11/08 Pet Scan Good but new tiny met on L lung/dead Brain surgery (no cancer cells found/scar tissue) 1/09 Chemo restarted 2/09 Pet Scan Bad - R larger very active/active L active lymph nodes both sides of chest MRI- mets slight increase 2/09 Start Doxil/Tykerb Treatment
jones7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
AlaskaAngel

Question If a key to mets is fats....

.... then (for me at least) it raises the question yet again about the standard, unquestioned continuing use of some drugs in support of chemotherapy.

We already know that the steroids used in support of chemotherapy cause significant weight gain for many (but not all) cancer patients. This is weight that is then harder to lose because chemotherapy puts many patients in menopause. Metabolism in menopausal patients is lower and the recommendation is for those menopausal patients who are overweight to "get used to" permanently eliminating somewhere between 200 and 400 calories a day from what they've been normally eating just to maintain and not gain more weight. Adding exercise to that permanent sacrifice is recommended for losing some of the excess weight gained during chemotherapy.

So, in looking at this logically as a cause and effect situation.... and knowing that there is a significant population of breast cancer patients who would never need any chemotherapy at all to remain NED.... (particularly now that most breast cancer is being diagnosed in the early stages)... and knowing that having the chemotherapy includes being given the steroids... it is logical for me to ask, how many of these people are having recurrence DUE TO the supportive drug given with the chemotherapy that often causes significant weight gain?

Considering that a large number of the population is overweight even before treatment with these drugs, how many patients are among us who might have been able to avoid recurrence with mets entirely by not having the therapy that involves the use of these drugs?
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
R.B.

Thanks Christine,

Do you have a name or link for the paper. I would be fascinated to see it.

I meant to look for it but have not had the time, and the focus has been low.

I had an abscess surgically removed from my jaw that had persisted from an asymptomatic tooth death I guess some years ago. Treatment and root filling did not solve the issue. Finally an unarguable lump appeared and a jaw abscess was diagnosed.

I have been complaining about spread to the upper sinuses, skin problems, not feeling good, sleep loss, anxiety, bad tastes in mouth etc, but was largely greeted with blank looks, and had the satisfaction of telling them that the residual bleed from the surgical removal had appeared in the back of the nasal tract / back of the throat rather than the mouth where you would expect it, which unless I have spontaneously evolved the ability to transport matter would suggest the abscess had made a drain to the sinus area (-:.

The moral of which is if you have a heavily filled tooth that goes a little loose do not ignore it (-:
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
DanaRT

Thanks for the article. Gives me incentive to put the slice of pizza in the trash...

]
Diagnosed - Nov. 2, 2007 at 45
Lumpectomy - Nov. 13, 2007
Tumor 1.2 cm
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR - Her2 +++ (3.8)
Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin- 6 rounds
Neulasta
Radiation 33 treatments - will be done 6/6/08
Herceptin through 12/08
12/07 MUGA 61%, 4/08 MUGA 60%, 7/08 MUGA 64%
three wonderful daughters, a terrific husband,