HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 09-20-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
dhealey

Mary, There is no back to norm the way you used to be before cancer. You now have to find a new norm. I got very depressed about a month ago because I too will be nearing the end of my treatment in Janurary. I feel nervous about the cancer coming back. People at work act like I am not sick either, I guess because I continued to work and do everything like I did before. This is not always good as I get very tired. The only one who understands is my husband. I can no longer tolerate petty little problems or trivial things at work or home. I have learned though to appreciate everyday and treat it like it may be my last. Live in the moment. It has taken me awhile to do this. I think when you are going through treatment it is easy the sail through it without really thinking about having the cancer because everyone is concerned about getting you better and you are so busy with doctor appointments and treatments. The next phase is the hard one learning to move on. I am still working on that one. One thing I have learned is don't be to hard on your self and learn how to say no to things that aren't pleasing to you. Best of luck!
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
BearMan52

You all have just cracked me up with the smileys! Thank you...needed that...my wife is having a rough time on Xeloda/Tykerb...and not a lot of evidence that it's working. This is after a year of mets diagnosis and txs: Taxotere/Carbo/Herep; Navelbine/Hercep, now Xeloda/Tykerb...with Zometa throughout. Thanks too for the inspiration.
Barry
Care giver husband
BearMan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
tousled1

Mary,

It is quite normal to feel the way you do. While you're going through your treatments you are kept so busy with doctor appointments, tests, etc that you really don't have much time to think about anything except fighting this disease. Now that you are coming to the end of treatment you have more time on your hands to think. Your "normal" after completion of your treatment will not be what your "normal" was before the beginning of your journey. I have found that I don't sweat the small stuff anymore, have little patience for some people, and just enjoy each day for the little things. Don't despair. If you feel you need medication to help you through this, don't hesitate to ask your doctor for either an antidepressant or an anti anxiety drug. I took antidepressants for 4 years after my son passed away from leukemia. I stopped taking them the year before I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I have not gone back to them but I do take an anti anxiety drug - Ativan which really helps. I also have a terrible time with sleeping -- started when I was on Herceptin only. I take Ambien CR for that. You can not live your life worry about cancer each and every day. There is so much in life to appreciate and it's up to you to find just what is going to make you happy now. If it means developing new friends and dropping old ones, or taking up a new hobby. the best advice I can give you is to make sure you do something nice just for yourself at least once a week. Hang in there it does get better!
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
MAB1943

thank you so much for the wise words. it really does help to know there are others who do understand.
good luck and God Bless you as you battle this malady.
Mary
MAB1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:19 PM   #5
OzzieSue

Having read all these posts it has inspired me to fight on to the next step of my journey. I received the email below today and thought it appropriate for this thread

A 92-year-old, petite, well-poised and proud man, who is fully dressed each morning by eight o'clock, with his hair fashionably coifed and shaved perfectly, even though he is legally blind, moved to a nursing home today. His wife of 70 years recently passed away, making the move necessary.

After many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home, he smiled sweetly when told his room was ready. As he maneuvered his walker to the elevator, I provided a visual description of his tiny room, including the eyelet sheets that had been hung on his window.

"I love it," he stated with the enthusiasm of an eight-year-old having just been presented with a new puppy.

"Mr. Jones, you haven't seen the room; just wait." "That doesn't have anything to do with it," he replied. "Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn't depend on how the furniture is arranged. It's how I arrange my mind. I already decided to love it."
"It's a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice; I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the parts of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do."

"Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open, I'll focus on the new day and all the happy memories I've stored away, just for this time in my life."

Old age is like a bank account. You withdraw from what you've put in."

So, my advice to you would be to deposit a lot of happiness in the bank account of memories! Thank you for your part in filling my memory bank. I am still depositing."
Remember the five simple rules to be happy:

1. Free your heart from hatred.
2. Free your mind from worries.
3. Live! simply .
4. Give more.
5. Expect less.
OzzieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #6
hutchibk

I LOVE that OzzieSue! Thanks for posting! May I share it with others.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:33 AM   #7
Sherryg683

OK, but this may sound bad but I eat what I want. I had a brownie for breakfast this morning, that means I won't have much of a lunch. I do this more for keeping the weight down than worrying about feeding the cancer. In my heart, I really don't think that what you eat or don't causes cancer. There are too many vegeterians, neutrionalists, etc..who have come down with cancer. Many people with almost zero fat content on their body who never ate sugar. I think cancer is genetic, mostly and bad luck the other half. I am not going to worry myself to death over every thing I put into my body. That's just not living. I don't eat a lot of fats but I never had because of the weight thing. I do take tumeric, grape seed and green tea extract consistantly. I have been NED almost 2 years now and am too supersitious to stop what I have been doing, including having that occaisional donut for breakfast and reeses peanut butter cup. Life's too short to do without the good things completely. I'd hate to have my dying wishes be "man I wish I would have had that last piece of cake"...sherryg

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:35 AM   #8
Sherryg683

OK, but this may sound bad but I eat what I want. I had a brownie for breakfast this morning, that means I won't have much of a lunch. I do this more for keeping the weight down than worrying about feeding the cancer. In my heart, I really don't think that what you eat or don't causes cancer. There are too many vegeterians, neutrionalists, etc..who have come down with cancer. Many people with almost zero fat content on their body who never ate sugar. I think cancer is genetic, mostly and bad luck the other half. I am not going to worry myself to death over every thing I put into my body. That's just not living. I don't eat a lot of fats but I never had because of the weight thing. I do take tumeric, grape seed and green tea extract consistantly. I have been NED almost 2 years now and am too supersitious to stop what I have been doing, including having that occaisional donut for breakfast and reeses peanut butter cup. Life's too short to do without the good things completely. I'd hate to have my dying wishes be "man I wish I would have had that last piece of cake"...sherryg

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:27 AM   #9
tousled1

Sherry,

I coiuldn't agree with you more! I also eat what I want, when I want. I do try and maintain a healthy diet but believe me I'm not fanatical about it. The way I look at it I'm now Stage IV and I can do whatever I want. A few sweets here and there are not going to upset the apple cart.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:10 AM   #10
dhealey

Vanessa, Don't beat youself up about the weight gain. I think the stress of worrying over the weight gain is worse than gaining the weight. Stress can play such havac on our bodies. Eat the best way you can and don't worry about it. Concentrate on enjoying life and laugh alot. That I believe is the best way to defeat this disease.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #11
MAB1943

VANESSA, don't worry about the weight gain. You are going t hrough so much right now and the steroids are horrific. Treat yourself good and indulge yourself. If possible exercise even if it is only 10 minutes 3 times a day of walking. That may help, but I can tell you I was so miserable towards the end of my chemo w/the steroids I actually wound up having to get insulin, my sugars went over 400. My onc kept telling me it was the steroids and chemo and would go back down to normal, but my family dr put me on the insulin anyway. I am still on herceptin and my appetite is too good, but I refuse to worry about something that is out of my control, if I am hungry I eat, and I try to watch what i eat, but nobody knows what it is like unless they are going through it. You will get back to normal but it WILL take time, maybe over a year, but you can do it THEN. Mary
MAB1943 is offline   Reply With Quote