HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
PattieMig

StageIVBC Mets to Omentum

Hi, I used to post here a long time ago, but have not in a long time. I first found out I had bc in 1989. I had a lumpectumy and axillary disection and received 35 radiation treatments and then adjuvant treatment with tamoxifen for about 3 years. It was a STage 1 DCIS - clear margins - no node involvement. I was told I had a 2% chance of it returning. Well, my biggest nightmare came true in 1999 when it returned to the pleural lining of the lung. There were no tumors, just tear in the pleural lining from the cells replicating so rapidly. I received CMF chemo, and again went on Tamoxifen. In 2000, my tumor markers started rising and started to receive Herceptin and changed Tamoxfen to Femara. I had no progression of disease until Sept. 2004 when they found it in the sacrum, thoracic and cervical spine. My hormone blocker was changed to Faslodex (a shot once a month) and a once a month infusion of Zometa for the bone strengthening. Was radiated and all was well until January 2005 when it showed up in a rib on my right side and my pelvis. I have been radiated two more times in Jan. 2005 and December 2005 for paliative relief. I had also had a couple of epidural blocks to the sacrum (lumbar area and they have given great relief). In December 2005 I had a PET scan which showed that everthing was stable in the bones except for a slight increase in the pelvic area (have not had that area radiated because I have not experienced any pain there so far. However, in Jan. 2006 my tumor markers doubled from 188 to over 400. Had an MRI and Cat scan and showed a large mass and several tumors on the greater omentum (this is a protective fatty, web like covering that protects the intestines. It is located between the abdomen and pelvis. I then had dueling oncologists because my bc oncologist thought it was ovarian (she said bc does not usuallly go there and she had only seen it one time in 11 years of practice. After waiting 2 weeks to get into see a gynocological oncologist, he felt the mass on exam but felt it was breast. Anyway, had a needle biopsy and it is breat cancer spread to the omentum (I know this was a better case scenerio and I am happy for that. I guess what I am asking, is has anyone here had this happen to them, if so, what chemo were you put on, for how long and what side effects have your experienced? I just received a first treatment of epirubicin, am continuing on the Zometa for my bones and my Herceptin and off the hormone blocker until I'm done chemo. My oncologist said she will put me back on the Faslodex when I'm done chemo. I don't seem to hear much about epirubcin. My doctor said it is "big guns" chemo and will make me sick and lose my hair. I'm scared and I do trust my doctor, but would like to hear if there is anything out there newer and better and why I'm not getting taxotere or any other agents along with the epirubicin. Thank you all in advance for any information or help you can give me. Pattie
PattieMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
Beth

Wink

Hi Pattie,

I am doing FEC which is 5fu/epirubicin/cytoxin. After 3 treatments I had 40 to 50% shrinkage. I lost my hair in 2 weeks after the first treatment and I sleep
alot for 6 days after the treatment and feel sick but the nausea medicine works.

Good luck,

Beth
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
Alice

I haven't had that chemo myself I have heard of others that have had it. I know some chemos cant be given together either because they work against each other or the side affects together would be too risky.I'm sorry you have to go thru all of this.Good luck.

Alice
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:53 AM   #4
Shell

Patti-

I had epirubicin as one of my first chemos, along with cytoxin and taxotere, in the neo-adjuvant setting. It worked wonders at reducing my tumor...

During that peiod, I did not get sick, and aside from the hair and the emotional shock of just being diagnosed, I maintained a semblance of my usual life - raising young children, working, volunteering, etc.

Good luck with it...

Shell
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
PattieMig

/To Beth & Shell - BC to Omentum - Epirubicin

Hi, thanks so much for answering my questions. I just have another one. Did you receive the Epirubicin once every 3 weeks or 3 weeks in a row and then one week off. I'm just curious, because I just received my first treatment of the 3 weeks on and one week off and except for one incident of vomitting, I have felt fine. I go tomorrow (Mar. 7th) for my 2nd treatment - and I will get Zometa with it. The doctor told me I am getting the same amount of the chemo either way I do it, but it is easier on my body if I get it 3 weeks on, one week off vs. once every 3 weeks. Love Pattie
PattieMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
Unregistered

Pattie-

I received TEC (the E for epirubicin) every three weeks. Your way sounds workable also. Glad things are going OK....

Shell
Old 03-08-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
Beth

Smile

Once each 3 weeks and 1 week off. I have only had 3 treatments and
I just had a scan for liver, lung, bone mets.
50% shrinkage in the liver (2 lesions) , lung nodes stable and not measurable. Scan said lung mets nonremarkable. Bone mets (3 lesions) stable. I am sure
the FEC will work for you too!

Good Luck,
Beth
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote