HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
SusanN

Cold Caps...

Hello...

As odd as this sounds to "preventing hair loss"...I'm wondering if anyone has heard of "Cold Caps"...or has tried them...I stumbled upon a post, then did abit of researh and found the "The Rapunzel Project"... and thought I'd see if anyone has tried this or has any info...I'm assuming IF this "cold cap" was really great...there would be much more in the media, etc...for us to know...Thanks!!
SusanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #2
JennyB

Re: Cold Caps...

Susan,

I have a friend who did this and she did keep her hair but it thinned a lot. she had to take Valium, I think, prior to treatment and was dressed for an arctic adventure! It was painful and stressful but she doesn't regret it. Over here in Australia it not widely available and again, I think, only if you go private - most oncology centres are at the public hospitals - different helathcare systems!

HOpe this gives a little insight!

Jenny
Clear margins but lymphovasculer invasion
Stage 3a Grade 3
Fec 100 x 3 Jan '11 Taxotere X 3 and Herceptin X 1yr
Staging scans - CT brain & body and bone - May '11 - NED!!
Start Femara - in chemo induced menapause
25 Rads June '11
Dec '11 Menstruation resumed - zoladex inj monthly and Tamoxifen
Feb '12 Back on Femera and Zoladex
March '12 CT brain & body & bone scan all clear
Zometa x2/yearly
April '12 - Oopherectomy

Praying the Herceptin is as good as its hype!!
JennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
Ellie F

Hi
I used a now old version of cold cap whilst having taxotere. I still lost about 50 % of my hair and still wore a wig. However my hair returned to normal afterwards unlike my eyelashes and eyebrows which gave up. I believe that cooling my scalp helped to protect my hair follicles. At my onc centre they have now got a new type of cold cap which is being used all the time with much better results (I see the same ladies every three weeks). As Jenny has said and also from personal experience it is unpleasant and very cold but certainly manageable.
Hope this helps
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
BonnieR

Susan, I have heard of this but always thought of it as an urban myth sort of thing because, as you say, otherwise it would be more widely used. I have never known anyone who tried it. But from other posts, maybe it has some validity. Have you researched it at all ? What does your onc say? And treatment room nurses know everything!!
Keep the faith! (And the hair!)

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Sandyt

Susan,

Hey, a friend of mine used them and did really well. She did lose some hair but only she could notice. I hear they work great for some and maybe iffy for others. I think there are 2 companies that sell them, Chemo Cold Caps and Penguin.

Good Luck
Sandyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
tricia keegan

It wasn't around when I was dx in '05 but the chemo nurse at my hospital said some patients choose to try them but they're uncomfortable and usually the 50% hair loss looks worse than losing the lot and using a wig or scarf, I don't think I'd bother!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #7
Ellie F

Just wanted to add that there are a small number of women who suffer permanent hair loss following chemo. I have recently read (but can't remember where) that cooling the scalp MAY stop this from happening. As I posted I agree with Tricia that I still lost a lot of my hair but then it did come back with no thinning! Guess the jury will be out till we get some more long term information
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
SusanN

Hello Beautiful Gals...thank you so much for your input!!

Well...Bonnie...I can say, I have not had much time to do alot of research besides looking at The Rapunzel Project, (donations can be made there...so it is VERY pricey!)...and as with Sandy, I've heard of the Penquin Cold Cap...then there are other competitors, etc.
I had to smile at your "artic" remark Jenny...I'd have to bundle up, as cold as I get normally, I can't imagine me truly doing this...
Ellie, interesting that you've had experience with it, you mentioned your eyelashes/brows...did they return now?? As you mentioned Tricia with the hair loss...I'll just WALK WITH FAITH...!!!
I FINALLY have a "telemed" at 2:30 today to review my Treatment plan...and off on my journey I will go...I'm not sure if he will insist I start tomorrow or if I can wait unitl Monday...
I just want to get this going!!!
I have LOTS of questions...as usual...my "journal" of questions & answers as I've walked out the time of finding my lump...having surgergies, ect...now chemo!!!

Blessings to all of you this Easter!!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
tricia keegan

Good luck Susan!!!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
rapunzelproject

Hi Susan,

Cold caps work as much as 90% of the time, and are effective with all chemo drugs. Patients using the cap system available in the US do not lose 50% of their hair. All patients have some shedding sooner or later, as the oldest hair follicles can not take even a small amount of trauma. But noticeable hair loss is the exception, not the norm. Our website www.rapunzelproject.org lists about 50 US oncology locations that not only have patients using cold caps, but have opted to support those patients by accepting a biomedical freezer from us, to make cap use easier and less costly. Hundreds of other locations have patients using caps, but with no freezer. We would be glad to send you more info if you contact us through the website. The process is not one everyone would choose to go through, and sadly it is not normally covered by insurance. We just believe all patients should know about it and make the choice that is best for them. Best wishes to you.

Nancy and Shirley, The Rapunzel Project
rapunzelproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
roz123

susan - bco.org has entire threads dedicated to cold caps. You could connect with women who have done this to see what the "real life" experience is. I could barely handle the icing of the fingers and toes during taxotere so I don't think I could handle it on my head but you may be able to! good luck
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox
prophy bi-msx with TE's oct 15/12
LD flap reconstruction (PM me if you want the details)
zoladex shots monthly until SOFT studies come out
roz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
SoCalGal

I see women use them at my treatment center all the time. Its a whole system and they are very bundled up.

It would have added too much stress for me - hair was the least of my problems back in 03. But some people can't imagine loosing their hair so it's a good alternative. I had a friend who invented her own version using dry ice many years ago, and she didn't loose her hair, it only thinned.

In some ways it is very liberating to be bald. Not something most experience and it does grow back.

Good luck with your treatment and whatever you decide to do with the cap.
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
Kkmom

There is a girl using the cold caps at the Infusion Center I go to. I believe the brand she used was Penguin Cold Caps. I talked with her one day about the cold caps. She was being treated for stage 1 breast cancer with 4 chemo treatments. Her mom and sister were there to help her change out the cold caps like every 20 minutes. She has kept most of her hair and thought it was worth doing. I think if I only had 4 chemo treatments, it would be manageable.
Kkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
BonnieR

SoCalGal, you put it very well. There IS something liberating about being bald for a period of time. Like a rite of passage or symbol. In retrospect, I would not have tried to hide it so much. But everyone has their comfort zones I know of a woman who refused chemo because she didn't want to be bald for her high school reunion. She died. Bad trade off.
Keep the faith

Post menopause
Sentinel Node Neg
Aromasin started 5/10
Old 04-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
SusanN

SoCalGal...I really appreciate how you said your hair was the least of your problems...and Bonnie...OHHH MYYY, NOT EVEN A TRADE OFF!!! I'm not going there!!!

I've decided to "Warm Cap!!"

I really thought after my first cycle last week things were going quite smooth...until, I unfortanately ended up with a UTI...had a reaction to the "sulfa" in the RX...UGGGHH...I'm alright today, but WHEW, the last couple of days have been quite a ride!!!

Okay...you all are soooo wonderful, and perhaps I should start a new thread...I just need quite abit of help...

I have been VERY constipated...I know to drink LOTS of fluids...fiber, fruit, veggies...however, I really am not getting much relief still...any other suggestions...I even have MiraLax...

I know...I know...what a mess I'm becoming...needless to say...my hair...no, I'll be fine...it will grow back!!

I have other things which are much more important to get though NOW...I WILL DO THIS...God is Faithful!!!!

You gals are such strength and encouragement to me!!
Thank you!!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
BonnieR

You are not becoming a "mess"! You are right where you're supposed to be. Just remember that we are speaking in hindsight. You are in the throes. But, really, hair loss is part of the process. A friend reminded me that it proved the chemo was working! It's easier to accept it than have one more thing to fight. Surrender this aspect! And keep the faith

Post menopause
Sentinel Node Neg
Aromasin started 5/10
Old 04-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #17
Ruth

Susan - my sister is doing this. Granted she has only had one chemotherapy treatment so far two weeks ago but her hair is hanging in there and she doesn't have the itchy feeling on her head like I did before my hair fell out and I shaved it. I'll make sure to update. She's on TC every three weeks. Hugs Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #18
IrvineFriend

Today I had to go into work all day to administer an ex-employee's graduate school exams (I'm her Procter) and after a few hours, took off my scarf. My BF picked me up from work and we went shopping. Off and and away! I'm in So. CA where it was warm today and didn't even think of my bald head. Went to 3 stores and everyone was so sweet to me, smiling, etc. and it wasn't until hours later this evening while BBQing that I realized I went around BALD. I was irked at the BF that he didn't say anything, but he actually likes it and it doesn't bother him. The couple times I've taken off my wig or scarf at work my colleauges (all much younger) love to see my bald head and encourage me to be free. They like the older woman biker chick look (I'm 48).

The reality, I have cancer, I have to be treated for it and it's pretty harsh and my hair fell out in clumps because of it. Don't know about you, but I'm just recovering from #4, and dreading #5. I had NO problems until this last round. My bald head validates what my body is going through for me. I don't miss work, go into for a few hours, and then go home when I hit the wall and that wall is hard for a couple days (Monday and Tuesday). I do chemo Thursday.

I ran a few miles yesterday but had to walk at 20 minutes, the first in my life. My baseball cap covering my bald head reassured me it's just the effects of the chemo. It's been 10-days since chemo and I should be tired and run down.

Of everything, my bald head and smooth legs and lack of pubic hair reassure me this isn't a joke. I love my smooth legs, I love the fact I can get up and out the door in minutes, just have make-up to deal with, but I know that I have to be more careful in ways that I didn't have to worry about before cancer. My bald head is my signature that I'm a cancer patient, like it or not, and I have to do or not do certain things right now. I'm very OK with this. And so is every person around me, family, friends, co-workers, people in public, boyfriend, etc. They all want to see my bald head, touch it, my boyfriend rubs it and kisses it. I have cancer and I'm actually very okay with it. Just dealing.

I read stories on here of Chrissy and Cool Breeze, etc. and cry. Not because they bum me out but because they're so brave. I would love to be that woman of honor and being OK with my cancer is the first step.

I plan to fight this and shout out for help when I need it because I don't want to let this beat me. Nobody should. We're all children of God and the series we're on at my church is HOPE. How appropriate right now.

When I run I wear a b-ball cap and then towards the end of the run take it off as I'm hot (if it's not sunny). I don't care if anyone in the park looks at me, .... I have cancer and I'm running!

My bald head is my cancer signature and that I'm so much better and stronger than it. And if I'm not, then I'll be graceful, like the women before me that I'm proud of.

A colleague asks when I'll be doing my next 1/2 marathon and I tell him I haven't stopped training. I'm a long way off but I'm going to stay active. Even a couple miles during chemo.

I've been told I look like a model since losing my hair, so it clearly doesn't look that bad,

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #19
jaykay

Susan - you'll be surprised at how much faster you can get out of the house being hairless. And how much money you will save on shampoo, haircuts/color (if you use color). Your legs (as IrvineFriend says) will never be as smooth. Unfortunately, if you have hair on your face that you bleach/wax/otherwise remove - that stays - go figure :-).

My eyebrows and eyelashes have thinned and I'm hoping my eyebrows stay around since I am hopeless with stencils. The thought of losing my eyebrows bothered me more than losing the hair on my head.

I lost my hair mid-December and I don't go without a fleece cap in my house. I've been cold for months! I'm not a head scarf person and don't go "out" without my wig. That's just me; everyone has to do what they are comfortable with.

I would look into icing your fingers. My last 2 chemos really brought out the "ugh" on my fingernails. Worse part is that a couple of them are separating from the nail bed and I need to be really careful about how I use my hands. I work in the computer industry and am always on a keyboard. Hasn't been easy.

Irvinefriend - what a great post! I'm going to hijack this thread. I finished chemo on March 14th. My worst sessions were 3 and 4. 5 was very mild on the side effects and I was absolutely giddy with the thought I only had one more to go. Number 6 really threw me - was totally exhausted and figure it was from the Neulasta in combo with the chemo. It took me longer than usual to "recover". But I did and it's over. Had my first Herceptin only infusion and actually had a normal weekend.

Everyone told me I was doing really well during chemo - bloodwork was great except for a bump or two (low potassium). When I saw my onc last week, I complained about how my legs hurt and that my "wind" was just not coming back when I worked out, especially on the treadmill. She told me I was anemic from the chemo, NOT to do the treadmill, eat red meat, be patient, rbc takes a while to come back due to bone marrow suppression from the effects of the chemo.

Well, I've been exercising all along, just not at my normal intensity. And patience is not my greatest virtue. So while I don't run (but walk really fast), I can definitely relate to what you wrote above.

Best

Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #20
IrvineFriend

Susan,

Sorry I hijacked your post. I was feeling really down last night and was venting.

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote