HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-13-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
Cristina19

life after chemo?

Okay, I know this question may be premature (I've only gone through one chemo treatment) but I'm wondering how wise/realistic/advisable/do-able it would be to plan a trip for after I finish chemo (maybe a month or 6 weeks later).

I realize that every one's body will respond differently to these treatments (mine = TCH), so barring any extreme reactions and, of course, with doctor's blessing, I wonder if I'll simply have the energy to go on a trip.

What do you all think?

C.
Cristina19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
KRISS

Hi Cristina
Like you said everyone is different but after my eight treatment I waited three weeks then my husband took me to the mountains to a spa. I was pampered and loved it. I'm sure if we went skiing it would have been a different story. So plan a trip but choose your activities wisely. Most importantly relax, release and have a good time.
PARTIAL 12/18/06
HER2+ /ER+(75%) PR+(5%)
4 DD AC CHEMO STARTING 1/10/07
4 DD Taxol Starting 3/5/07
1year weekly Herceptin starting 3/5/07
finished 2/18/08
changed to every 3 weeks 4/23/07
completed 33 radiation treatments 7/6/07
TAH and BSO 9/24/07
start Femarra 10/8/07
Started Neritinib trial 12/14/09
KRISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
PinkGirl

Smile vacation

Hi Cristina
I am sure you could go on "some kind" of vacation, but like Kriss, I don't think you'll be able to handle anything too strenuous. But.....you might bounce back completely and make liars of us !!! It's important to listen to your body.
I got sick and tired of being sick and tired and decided to just start acting like my old self. I ended up tripping and breaking my nose. So..... we're all different, and who knows how you'll feel..... but I think you could handle a quiet, relaxing vacation. Good luck.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
SandyR

christina, when I finished Chemo I decided to reclaim my body as quickly as possible so I started going to the gym and 1 month after finishing, I went for a XCountry Ski trip. XCountry was really good for me, because I could go completely at my own pace. Regardless, i remember being so exhausted after 5 miles that I could barely get myself back to the parking lot! But I seemed to recoop fairly quickly! Just be sure that wherever you go, the pace is set by you! And have a wonderful time because you have earned it!

SandyR
Diagnosed July 2005
HER2+++
neoadjuvant chemo - 4 AC/4 Taxotere + one yr herceptin
lumpectomy + 33 rads
2 year survivor
and 2 year Danskin Triathlete as a cancer survivor
SandyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
Erin

We went on a celebratory wine tasting trip 5 weeks after my last chemo (6 rounds of TCH). While it was great to get away, I was very frustrated by my lack of energy and it did kind of spoil the trip for me. I was absolutely done by 6pm, even though we didn't do anything particularly tiring. If I had it to do again, I would have put it off...but that is just me....I have a hard time being still for any length of time and generally get pretty frustrated if I can't keep up.
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07
Switched to Herceptin weekly for joint pain
Ooph 11/13/07
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
hutchibk

you should be fine, even the week after treatment... we travelled even while I was in treatment. You could be fatigued, but just honor that and give yourself breaks. Make it a spa trip. A total restorative, relaxation trip. That's what you need!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #7
Peggy

trip

Christina,

I had chemo and then surgery so my situation is a little different. I finished chemo late October, had surgery the week of Thanksgiving and went to England to visit my son for Christmas. To do that I had to put off radiation a couple of weeks..but I needed the trip to look forward to. My doctor agreed to change my herceptin to every three weeks so I could get a two week window for the trip. It was a very difficult trip, but I would not do it any differently. I needed to feel normal and somewhat in charge of my life and my decisions and the trip let me do that. My husband walked around with a "concerned" look on his face most of the time, but we got to see a new grandbaby!

So, my advice is...if having something to look forward to and planning a trip seem like things that will help motivate you through chemo...then go for it. If you have to slow down or modify some of your activities you can do that! And you might feel great!

Good Luck,

Peggy
Mastectomy, Rads x33 Herceptin X 9
3 Years NED!
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:25 PM   #8
Sherryg683

I finished chemo, did my 35 radiation treatments, then took a trip to Florida 3 days after radiation ended. I wanted to celebrate, so I took my kids, my mom, my sister and her kids. I did all the driving, 12 hours there and back. We rented a condo and I was the one that did the cooking and the cleaning. I must have been out of my mind, my sister and my mom sat on their butts while I did it all. That and taking the kids to the beach, in the hot tub, swimming in the pool. I just coated my burned radiated skin in sunblock and wrapped up my bald head to keep it away from the sun. I have to say, it was one of the most fun and memorable trips I have ever taken. I think I was running on adrenaline. But then, I was back on the tennis courts 10 days after giving birth to my daughter too, so I think I'm not sane anyway. If you feel up to it, take that trip. I took 4 vacations the year after I finished my treatment. Lifes too short, that was one of the things my hubby and I agreed on , was to travel and enjoy ourselves more..sherryg

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:30 AM   #9
dhealey

I agree with Sherry, cancer has taught me life is to short, so after chemo I decided to do what I wanted when I wanted. I started training for a 26 mile walking marathon 2 weeks after finishing chemo. I am up to 20 miles now at one stretch. I may have to do nothing else the rest of the day, but I am able to do those 20 miles. Go on your trip and enjoy, just remember to rest when you tire. Life is about spending time with loved ones and having fun.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:20 PM   #10
Cristina19

Greetings Sisters,

Sorry for disappearing for a bit. I just had my second tx yesterday and, lucky me, had a reaction to the Taxotere. Strange because I had no reactions during the first infusion.

I am eager to plan a trip. I think that one thing we all feel is a sense of frustration that our lives have been "interrupted." What an inconvenience this BC stuff!

You are all right: life is precious and short and, as I always used to say in those tediously long department meetings at work: "If I go out of this building and get hit by a truck, I don't want my last hours to have been spent here at work!"

=)
Cristina19 is offline   Reply With Quote