HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
CoachPlayWin

question about her2

Hi Ladies,
I read here everyday, and have learned so much. Thank you for all that you do. A quick question about Her2...is there a difference between over-expression and amplification? I have seen both descriptions in the literature, but not sure if they are the same, or not, and what the impact would be on treatment, etc.

Thanks!
2/08 BRCA negative
4 AC dose dense 09/06/07-10/18/07
12 weekly Taxol/Herceptin 11/01/07-01/18/08
Herceptin 1 year/done 10/31/08!
2/08 reconstuction
port out 12/4/08
CoachPlayWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
Lani

one refers to whether the gene is present in excessive numbers, the other(overampl)to

whether the gene product (the receptor itself) is present in excessive numbers. (I think I mistyped in the subject line--by the former I am referring to gene amplficationk, by the latter to her2receptor overexpression.

Think of the gene as being the recipe book instructions on how to make the receptor, its product.

It is the latter, the receptor, being present in excessive amounts which causes the the excessive signalling which causes her2+ breast cancer to grow more quickly, metastasize more readily and widely and act more aggressively than her2- breast cancer.

For example...from a recent paper: "Amplification of the human epidermal growth factor receptor type 2 (HER2, also called HER2/neu) gene and overexpression of its product in breast-cancer cells may be associated with responsiveness to anthracycline-containing chemotherapy regimens"

If you watch the SABCS presentation I recommended a couple of days ago, there are nice illustrations of what the receptor looks like and what it does.

Hope this helps.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote