HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Mary Anne in TX

CTC test done last Friday!

I had a Circulating Tumor Cells blood test taken last Friday and am waiting the couple of weeks to get the results. I've been so curious about this test and just decided to have it done. I'll let you know the results when I get them. Needless to say, I don't sit still very well! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Joan M

Mary Anne,

I've been thinking about getting the CTC test, too. Let us know how it works out.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Mary Anne in TX

My onc. really does focus on quality of life and understood that it's awful just doing nothing but worry or imagine. He told me that if it was good I would be hopeful and not worry so much and if it was bad, he could get me back on herceptin. (I do patient far better than healthy person).
Anyway, I'm really grateful that he understands so well and is so supportive of my weirdnesses! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline

Last edited by Mary Anne in TX; 04-09-2009 at 05:59 AM..
Old 04-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
vickie h

Ma, I didn't even know about this test but will now start praying that your's comes back with good results. I, too, am terrible about waiting......sitting still....waitng....waiting....
Let us know the results when you get them. You are an inspiration to us all.
Much love and Hugs to my friend, Vickie

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Feb 04 IBC IIIC/IV er-/pr- her2+++
3/04 TCH X4
7/ 04 MRM 9/04 Taxol/herceptin wkly 1 yr 33X rads
11/04 skin mets 33x rads,10/05 Avast/Herc. 11 mos.
8/ 06 PET mets lymphs, neck
9/ 06 Navelbine/herceptin
11/ 06 PET NED
2/ 07 skin mets, 4/07 Xeloda, 5/07 add Tykerb
2/ 08 Tykerb failed. Doxil /Herceptin 6 months
8/08 PET skin mets, 8/08 Abraxane/Avastin
11/ 08 PET prog., skin mets
1/09 PET/CT progress, 1/09 Ixempra, 2/09 add Xeloda and low dose Naltrexone
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
Jean

Dear Mary Anne,
I have a question re: CTC blood test. How accurate is it?

Praying and wishing for you all the way!
Hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:46 AM   #6
Marily

Ctc test

I have been having CTC tests done each month for the past 6 months since stopping Herceptin. The normals run from 0 to 5. Up to this last month my numbers have been either 0 or 1. My Onc took me off Aromasin this past month because I have been taking pain meds to actually have a life, and he was worried since my kidney numbers are going goofy.He felt taking me off the Aromasin would give me less pain side effects.
(this is what happened this time so remember it can happen to you )
I had been waiting for the results and finally called in. I Was told they were on the Dr's desk because he wanted to review them before they called me. I called two days later and the nurse read me the report.
( Remember it is a test that very few know about and I have to tell them each time to order new tubes and what they look like.)
She told me I was now 7.8! HEARING this, I immediately left a note for the Dr (who was out till the next day) "Start me back on Herceptin now!!! I don't care if you put me in the hospital to do so." (I have had two bad reactions to Herceptin in the past)
I got a phone call back the next day and the nurse appologized for reading the wrong numbers. I was really at 0.
So either learn to read your own tests and have them faxed or be certain the person reporting the results knows how.
We had a pretty awful night!! I remained up all night reading and researching what we would have to do at this junction. My husband and son's were put through something that need not have happened.
On the funny side, my 93 year old Aunt who I told ONLY after the good results were KNOWN....said "that JUST is not fair" "I think you should have gone in and tripped that nurse"...lol...
I just replied: "Now after 8 years of this ... you learn to bend with the wind. It blows, we bend forward, and then begin putting ourselves back upright". I have no anger anymore..it is a waste.
I trust the test, but to back it up, every 3 months we do a ct/pet, and the "Bayer" her2 test is also repeated each month. These numbers are gradually climbing toward the high marker but.. I will greet that when the time comes.
I graph all my test numbers and feel it is a good way to keep watch. Hope this answers some of our questions.

good luck with your numbers

Marily
Old 04-09-2009, 03:50 AM   #7
Ellie F

Thanks for the really useful info. I had not even heard that a test like this was available and think it probably isn't in England as we are always a few years behind.
Can I ask a question. If the result is zero does this mean that there are no cancer cells swimming around ? if it increases does this mean that they have started growing again? How can it go from zero then they reappear like magic? Do you need a certain number of circulating cells before they can lodge somewhere and grow as secondaries?
Hope this makes sense! love Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:14 AM   #8
Mary Anne in TX

Really great stuff here....type in CTC and read and read

I had read a ton about CTCs and realized that it has been around for a couple of years and is used faithfully by some, and of course, not by others. I do CA 27-29 every 2 months (they have been accurate for me all along) but felt like I needed some more information. I did not go off of herceptin willingly.....Mr. Insurance Man made that decision! I guess being a "trust my gut" kinda person (good or bad)....I just "knew" I needed to stay on it! Well, after much worry and not being full engaged in life as I want and need to be (for me and for my GD), I decided to do something about my goofy brain. I re-read the information and decided that since I had been off of herceptin since the middle of December '08, it would be a good baseline if nothing else.
When I read one of the articles and it talked about 0-5 and over 5 CTCs and the predictor of time to progression (I know, it only means averages, etc) I thought that it would at least give me a reason for action....herceptin or a kick in the britches to get back into life full time (what a joke for a bonafided turtle now) but I just wanted to do something. The economy and rearing our GD plus my mom-in-law has begun to require some more life adjustments.
If it turns out 0-1, that will tell my head to knock it off and get busy with life totally. If it is 3 - 4, I'll give my head a couple of weeks to live in cancer fantasy world and then decide. Over 5 and it's look out Mr. Insurance Man!!!! Thank God for great doctors! I love mine! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline

Last edited by Mary Anne in TX; 04-09-2009 at 06:16 AM..
Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Shobha

Dear Mary Ann, praying that you have good results and start living life to the fullest!

This is very good information. I too have trouble staying still and every ache and pain makes me wonder and worry. My onc. is not so easily convinced about tests but I will try to approach her about CTC.

love,
shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #10
Mary Anne in TX

Happy almost-egg-day to all my egg-cellent friends!

Jean, the best information that I could find indicated good accuracy on the # of CTCs. I think it's the "what does it mean for me" part that has so many differences. I took it to get some peace of mind or to get back on herceptin if necessary. The more CTCs the more likely a sooner progression, I believe. Would be helpful on the "hit um with all ya got" or "minimum is better" question! I guess I'll soon find out!

Shobha, I take articles to my onc to read when I see him. He's been my onc for 3 years, but he's always been open to listening to my opinion....that's the reason I'm still there! He was willing to fight with me for that extra 9 - 10 months of herceptin. I will be forever grateful to my friend who got me to Dr. K.
ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
Rich66

"my 93 year old Aunt who I told ONLY after the good results were KNOWN....said "that JUST is not fair" "I think you should have gone in and tripped that nurse""

Ha! She's such a pushover
I do think that even though not all the verdicts are in regarding her2 serum, CTCs and others, an overall picture might be gleaned if they are all used together.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #12
StephN

Thumbs up

First I must commend Marily on her honest post. This is why we should NEVER talk to the nurses, unless we know them! They change often and sometimes there is a "floater" covering and they know nothing of our case or tests.

Interesting about the CTC blood test. I have gone a similar route, and have used another test ever since my stage IV liver mets in 2002. It has been quite accurate for me. It is the CEA, or Carcinoembryonic Antigen.

Normal is between 0.0 and 2.0 - my number is consistently below .7, or undetectable. The version of this test I have is by Siemens/Bayer Centaur. They say that over 4.0 is abnormal. There was an older version that had 5 as the abnormal number.

The only time my number was out of normal was either with my liver mets or brain mets. It was this number climbing that sent my onc in search of some new tumor activity. I had no brain symptoms, so we first looked elsewhere and came up with nothing. My CEA was tracking my brain mets.

This test and the Her2 serum ELISA so far work for me.

Mary Anne, you need to have a way to gain some peace of mind over this disease. If this blood test helps, than take this as a sign that your cancer days are behind you.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 04-09-2009 at 11:45 AM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
Mary Anne in TX

Yes, I totally agree with you....thank you Marily! I got that kind of information when I was first diagnosed in another location before going to San Antonio. It made me feel crazy! Sometimes I think they believe that our information is theirs to do with and share however they will.
From this group I've learned to fight for what I believe I need and to press when things aren't done in the right way. Sometimes I ask myself, "what would so and so do if she was in this situation?" It gives me the courage to be a good fighter when I need to be. I've learned that fighting cancer is not the time to put yourself last.

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Old 04-11-2009, 07:19 AM   #14
hermiracles

Smile

Hope you get some great news MA
Blessings
Hermiracles
09/07 Stage 2 bilat. mastectomy R/ b. clear extens DCIS/IDC Paget’s 8 nodes clear ER(<5%) HER2+++ CT clear
11/07 Portacath - FEC
15/11/07 Stage 4 Emerg op - hip replacemt #NOF bone mets H/Taxotere
12/07 Rx to 'spots' on spine/R/hip/femur 3wkly H
2008 H+T mets to rib/sternum? Aredia CT clear! Cont. H + Aredia 07/08 1 wk Palliative Care - mets to lungs + ?1 to brain
09/08 Stop H complete Epirubicin 1wk PC new brain mets
10/08 2wks WBR 1wk PC 22/10/08 Tykerb/Xeloda 12/08 6 CEREBRAL METS COMPLETELY GONE! Rib mets down to <1cm.
01/09 Tumour markers normal! Rx to L/arm
03/09 LUNGS CLEAR (ALL NODULES GONE!), brain clear, liver clear. Bones stable! ~ THANK YOU GOD
07/09 Repeat CT Scan ~ ALL organs clear apart from bones which remain stable. I walk in gratitude.
hermiracles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #15
Mary Anne in TX

CTC...terrific results! So excited!

I never wanted to be a BIG 0 more than now! And I am! My onc called this afternoon and told me my results came back and it was 0. I asked him 3 times. He finally just read me the report! I celebrated with a great lunch and a nap! I do love good news!
I asked him if that meant that I would be coming to see him less often....No, he said. We will keep checking every 2 - 3 months!!!! Whew!!!! The only thing as good as a great report is a GREAT onc! He's terrific!
Thanks for helping me wait this out and for understanding that any sign of NED is a breath of fresh air!
I began to do as I had promised ya'll and me....I started focusing on my work more and getting the house in better shape! Whatever the future brings, this is a GREAT DAY!
Luv to all, ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Old 04-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #16
Marily

Mary Anne congratulations and big smilies on your news... on the CTC test. go get them girl but don't overdo... ok
hugs Marily
Old 04-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #17
Rich66

Did the onc say how often CTC would be checked?
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #18
Marily

Hi, my Oncologist is checking my CTC every month since I went off both Herceptin and Aromasin...
Old 04-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #19
mmoons

Yahoooooooooooo!

Mary Anne-

I was so excited to see your news. That is so terrific!!!!! thank you for sharing this blood test information and more important your Big 0 news!!!!

Maureen

My loves

IDC & DCIS, HER2+++ Diagnosis: October 1, 2008
  • Tumor: 6.8 centimeters, never showed on mammograms
  • ER-/PR-
  • November 2008: Sentinal Lymph node surgery. 6 out of 9 lymph nodes with cancer
  • Stage IIIc
  • Lapatinib Clinical Trial start: November, 2008
  • Surgery: May 5, 2009
  • Started Herceptin: May 19, 2009
  • Started Radiation (33 rounds): June 10, 2009
  • September 2009: Moved to Michigan to be closer to family
  • 12/09 - still on Herceptin until May 2010
  • August 2010: Port out, port out, port out port out port port port out port ooooout...da da da dant! (to the music of the Pink Panther)
Blog: http://moonsfamily.blogspot.com
mmoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #20
Mary Anne in TX

My guess is that we will do it alternating with the scans (June) and other blood work. I forgot to ask! Too wacky excited! I'll check when I see him in June. I do blood work every 8 weeks, maybe then. ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline